Poll: What do you think?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

[Poll] Do you think RIFT trial should be extended to lvl 49?

Hey, so a little while back i got the chance to ask Trion a question, I asked whether we could see the Korean RIFT lite version, over here in Europe and in America. In Korea players can play the game with little restriction to level 49 for free before having to purchase the game. The response i received was this,

"Right now I can tell you we're planning to let everyone get some free time to check out Storm Legion for themselves - but nothing permanent on the horizon, stay tuned!"

So, not a yes or a no. how would you guys feel if this where introduced in to the western market? for me personally i think it would be a great way to bulk out the lower level zones and attract a lot more players to the game, RIFT lite is great in its current form, but i believe you don't experience enough of the game up to level 20 to see how (imo) great this game really is. So what are your thoughts? would you try it out? do you agree or disagree with me?.

TL;DR Rift free up to level 49 with RIFT lite restrictions what do you think?
    Last edited by mmoc135db6b2b5; 2012-12-25 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Changed misleading title

Deleted
    I would try it out, I think a lot of people consider games (failed) too soon. Wich i think Rift is one of them!
    If they could play the game for free for that long it may change their biased opinion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Waifu View Post
    I would try it out, I think a lot of people consider games (failed) too soon. Wich i think Rift is one of them!
    If they could play the game for free for that long it may change their biased opinion.
    It takes 2 second's of me to log in to a capital city to see this game is not failing >_<

It failed to touch World of Warcraft's subscription base. The game itself may not have failed as a game, but it did fail in being a major competitor/threat for World of Warcraft.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

I wish this game be free

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    i tried it not long after its release cause several of my friends were playing it, i did the free trial to 15 or whatever it was but i unfortunately didnt get into it. i will admit i was fairly burnt out on mmos in general and had stopped playing just about everything with the exception of like console games and world of tanks. if they were to go the free to play route i might very well be enticed to give it a whirl again. it would have to allow me to get to max level and do a few of the end game activites however such as some pvp and smaller pve oriented events.

Deleted
    Rift population is steadily increasing as support for Trion and the drastic improvement of the game recently, it would be unwise to shake the faith of the player-base by turning f2p.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    Rift population is steadily increasing as support for Trion and the drastic improvement of the game recently, it would be unwise to shake the faith of the player-base by turning f2p.
    it's not fully F2P though, its up to level 49 with the same restrictions as lite

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Broloth View Post
    It failed to touch World of Warcraft's subscription base. The game itself may not have failed as a game, but it did fail in being a major competitor/threat for World of Warcraft.
    why do people always think the game has to have millions and millions of subs to be good? years and years ago people never took subs as a way to know if the game is good or not, why is that the main ingredient in peoples choices of what is a good game or not now?

Quote Originally Posted by Syce View Post
    why do people always think the game has to have millions and millions of subs to be good? years and years ago people never took subs as a way to know if the game is good or not, why is that the main ingredient in peoples choices of what is a good game or not now?
    because in Rift's case, Trion set themselves up for this type of comparison to WoW with their ad campaigns.

"Your not in Azeroth anymore"
    "come join our horde"

and trion's VP saying something along the lines of "We know where the 600k WoW subs went" .

and to be honest that kind of marketing is what turn me away from ever really giving rift a chance.
    Gamers are too obsessed with the death of games. Imagine if all that energy was channeled into the LIFE of games.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linzo View Post
    and trion's VP saying something along the lines of "We know where the 600k WoW subs went" .
    uh wasnt that blizzard saying that? i remember morhaime saying something along those lines.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nykolas View Post

TL;DR Rift free up to level 49 with restrictions what do you think?

Dumb idea imo. What's the point? With their current f2p to level 20 that should be enough to make up you're mind if you are going to invest in the game. 1-49 still won't show you what end game has to offer and at that point you've more then likely have to invest more into crafting and other deeper mechanics which are pretty much useless at sub max level. WoW doesn't have a f2p to level 84 or something why would you do it here?

I voted no bad idea. If you change your business model it has to be a complete different type model not some 1/2 assed one like SWTOR.
    Last edited by Azuri; 2012-12-24 at 01:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here we go, all the Activision shareholders and Ghostcrawler groupies swarm in spoting their usual drivel

YoLet's leave the non-constructive flame-baity posts out of this. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-12-24 at 07:34 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nykolas View Post
    It takes 2 second's of me to log in to a capital city to see this game is not failing >_<
    Doesen't it take a bit more than just seeing the capital city though?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waifu View Post
    Doesen't it take a bit more than just seeing the capital city though?
    You mean like these screenshots when a zone event pops, which is every 20 minutes because the server is so busy?

Why? They deliver more then enough content to justify the subscription. Just because people are cheap does not mean I will ask a dev to cut back their staff and production schedule and risk shutting down. There is a WoW general forum up above where this question really belongs.

Seriously show me these F2P successes that are actually MMO's? Remember I know my shit, so be prepared to defend what you name.

15+ Year Old Account
    its just really odd that people want a game with millions of players but the fact is, they will probably never see or play with 95% of them, so it doesnt really matter.

Deleted
    Personally I think it would be a good idea to extend RIFT lite to level 49 and increase the exp gain on those levels by about 40% =)

Deleted
    I think making things free (as good as it sounds) makes higher risk of said thing to go bad, money makes some things better, games being one of those things. I'm very poor but rather developers made good money to make games to their full potential

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Seriously show me these F2P successes that are actually MMO's? Remember I know my shit, so be prepared to defend what you name.
    Whether you think it's good or not, I always have a spot for LotRO. It runs with a small Dev crew, but they get it done. It's a rich environment, old school feeling MMO. It innovated a few features that have been taken by bigger games and just released mounted combat which is a first on this side of the pond. It's not trying to make millions of dollars, but it's still going fairly strong.

With that being said, I don't want Rift to ever go F2P. The only argument that is compelling for me is to keep the lower level world vivid enough to have a good experience. While I don't have any problem as a Harbinger/Chloro closnig Rifts on my own, I hear other people have problems. This is the lone reason I would even consider it.

However, I don't like the amount of chaos it could potentially bring to a rather stable system. I don't want to feel like I'm competing with people everywhere I go. I would rather feel like a hero who has come behind events, helping to clean up what problems are left, than have F2P feel like leveling is 'MMO'.

Maybe it's my age, but I don't really like leveling with other people around anymore. I'd rather not need them for anything. WoW's CRZ is an overwhelmingly terrible feature. Most people feel like me. We like being left alone, doing our thing. There's plenty of time to MMO at max level.