Poll: What do you think?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Linzo View Post
    because in Rift's case, Trion set themselves up for this type of comparison to WoW with their ad campaigns.

"Your not in Azeroth anymore"
    "come join our horde"

and trion's VP saying something along the lines of "We know where the 600k WoW subs went" .

and to be honest that kind of marketing is what turn me away from ever really giving rift a chance.
    I never once heard Trion say "we are going to take over WoW's population". If anything Trion has proved Blizzard to be a inept incompetent developer. Blizzard has been forced to fall back on that "well I know we promised faster but it takes 6 months to deliver quality" and then they release shit with the same bugs as Trion does and they release 1 to 2 months.

If that marketing turns you away, then you got bigger issues in life. If you enjoy paying more for less content then fucking by all means continue along.

To be honest I like Rifts current size. I DESPISED the WoW player base mentality. You guys can keep the 8 year olds because I am close to 30 and that is shit I do not need to put up with.

Storm Legion has given me more stuff to do then I could even hope for.

I'd dump this game in a hot minute if it went F2P. Trion is a service-oriented company; I'm not paying for the right to participate, I'm paying for active and regular development. How would that work with a F2P model, regardless of level restriction? Call me a snob, but if 8 bucks or 15 bucks a month is too restrictive, thank god. I'd rather live in a gated community than a public park. If Trion's philosophy and development isn't good enough for your money, why do I want you (general) playing this game for free?

Quote Originally Posted by Acquiesce of Telara View Post
    If Trion's philosophy and development isn't good enough for your money, why do I want you (general) playing this game for free?
    It takes a set of balls to call for Rift to go F2P because most of you cannot kick the WoW addiction and want an alternative without the consequences of actually having to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Syce View Post
    uh wasnt that blizzard saying that? i remember morhaime saying something along those lines.
    You're thinking of this:
    Reid and Trion were somewhat hesitant about revealing the current subscription figures for Rift, but the executive did hint at where Rift‘s subscriber base stands.

“We’re really pleased with what we’re seeing. And beyond that, it was a pleasure to see that in the latest Activision Blizzard earnings call, they inquired about Rift when Blizzard announced that their subscriber numbers went from 12 million to 11.4 million,” he said.

“You can do some math… we know very well where those 600,000 people are,” he said coyly."
    -Source
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    It takes a set of balls to call for Rift to go F2P because most of you cannot kick the WoW addiction and want an alternative without the consequences of actually having to choose.
    Why choose? Gotta play em all!

Though Rift is my new favorite. I don't know what it is, but it's freaking amazing. While I am not one to classify WoW as childish, at all....have no problems with Pandaren, or Battle Pets, or Farms (love it all in fact), I can say that Rift feels like a more matured WoW. This is not to say that it is more 'mature' than WoW, because they are different styles.

It's the difference between aging alcohol. WoW is a very fresh and bright wine. It's tangy, immediately perceptible, and is very engaging if not overly fruity. It's an intense, but pleasing array of infused flavors. It's easy to drink if you've never had wine before.

Rift is like a fine whisky aged in an oak barrel. It's darker, more intense, more refined. It has lots of nuances that aren't immediately noticed unless you are familiar with spirits. It manages to feel serious in a good way, but allow you to have extravagant divergences (like whisky and coke, car bombs, etc)...but the underlying drink is still classy.

I don't think I've ever given a better video game metaphor...and I think I realized why I like whisky so much at the same time. Merry Christmas to me.

Rift is still worth paying for and I dont see why people think this game failed. The zone invasion events still pop all the time. Theres plenty of open raids of all tiers at least on my server. Theres a ton of stuff always going on and Trion is an amazing company who actually takes care of its game. Also with IAs leveling new characters is a joke, although it can get boring doing the same ones 80435348534583 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Nykolas View Post
    Hey, so a little while back i got the chance to ask Trion a question, I asked whether we could see the Korean RIFT lite version, over here in Europe and in America. In Korea players can play the game with little restriction to level 49 for free before having to purchase the game. The response i received was this,

"Right now I can tell you we're planning to let everyone get some free time to check out Storm Legion for themselves - but nothing permanent on the horizon, stay tuned!"

So, not a yes or a no. how would you guys feel if this where introduced in to the western market? for me personally i think it would be a great way to bulk out the lower level zones and attract a lot more players to the game, RIFT lite is great in its current form, but i believe you don't experience enough of the game up to level 20 to see how (imo) great this game really is. So what are your thoughts? would you try it out? do you agree or disagree with me?.

TL;DR Rift free up to level 49 with restrictions what do you think?
    They have been saying this for a while. Hartsman said they are planning to "Expand Rift Lite" soon after SL launch, so its inevitable. I don't think its a big deal, since it looks like its only going to be f2p till level 49-50, its not really going to become a free to play game. So im definitely in favor, anything that gets more people on Rift is good.
    The Art of War- FT 4/4 EE 4/5
    R80

Quote Originally Posted by Rajadog20 View Post
    They have been saying this for a while. Hartsman said they are planning to "Expand Rift Lite" soon after SL launch, so its inevitable. I don't think its a big deal, since it looks like its only going to be f2p till level 49-50, its not really going to become a free to play game. So im definitely in favor, anything that gets more people on Rift is good.
    I would not mind if they did it up to 50. That is still a crap ton of content and people could still mentor down. It would decrease LFG times for 1-50 I bet.

Do to my current situation, I would love it if Rift went completely free to play. Then I could play all my characters. But in all honesty, I hope that they don't. Rift is in a good place at the moment. And we all see what happened to WoW once that game exploded. And I don't want that to happen to Rift. While Trion definitely deserves the money that many players would bring them, but honestly, that many players would destroy this game.

Honestly, I think the game would benefit greatly from a well done freemium model and I'd actually love a shift in that direction. The more people out in the world, the more the game thrives, as one of the core elements of the game is open world content. Dramatically increasing grouping options, and subsequently triggering more rift events ect, would be a big boon to people overall. Not to mention, the boost of players potentially raiding would help a lot of the smaller/mid sized guilds looking to fill out their ranks or get a core team rolling. Not to mention, I have zero doubts it would lead to a pretty good sized revenue bump (both initially and monthly) for Trion, so it's kinda like a win/win.

It's not a popular opinion (I've been sent plenty of nasty tells for suggesting that freemium would benefit the game in 50-59/60 chat), but from everything I've seen, it's really the best way forward for Trion. I'm absolutely happy with the game the way it is now, but looking in the longterm and accounting for MMO trends, I can't see a proper financial reason not to. Though I totally understand why they haven't made the move yet when it comes to the non-financial reasons.

@Edge

If free to play worked then Aion and TOR would be bigger then WoW right now. It does not and has not ever worked in a mmorpg model plain and simple. Only people clamoring for this shit are WoW players to stubborn to cancel their subs and they want an alternative in between 6 month content patches.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    I can't see a proper financial reason not to. Though I totally understand why they haven't made the move yet when it comes to the non-financial reasons.
    Maybe they aren't out to keep increasing their revenue endlessly like other companies? We see what kinds of shit that gets us in. Maybe *gasp* there's actually a company invested in making a quality product and take the profits from that as they can. It's clearly enough for their investors, since they haven't had the plug pulled from them. If this game goes free to play, even like everyone here wants, I guarantee it will have more negative impacts than positive ones.

God forbid if there is ever an actual cash shop in the game other than their very basic services and mount one (like WoW)

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I voted good idea. However I do not want to see Rift become fully free.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

My theory is if you want Rift features in WoW, TOR, or GW2, then go press those devs. I can promise you there would be people who play Rift f2p just for dimensions alone as a side activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    @Edge

If free to play worked then Aion and TOR would be bigger then WoW right now. It does not and has not ever worked in a mmorpg model plain and simple. Only people clamoring for this shit are WoW players to stubborn to cancel their subs and they want an alternative in between 6 month content patches.
    Why would it make Aion bigger than WoW? It's helped grow Aion's playerbase and kept the game around in the West, but I don't see how you can make any logical argument that it would make it "bigger than WoW". That's not what F2P does, and that's a foolish conclusion to jump to considering there was never any assertion that it does.

As for SWTOR, the implementation of the F2P model accounts for a lot, and SWTOR has taken a beating for theirs. A poor model won't lead to great successes.

Please show me that F2P doesn't work. I'm happy to dig up the numbers showing microtransaction revenue has surpassed subscription revenue in 2012 if you'd like, because it has. I'm happy to list out the games that have made the transition and have improved and are still around because of it if you'd like, I just did so in the SWTOR forums.

That is such bullshit because those F2P numbers everyone uses includes Facebook games and Zynga stuff. Massively post a article every other day it seems of studios with f2p models going under. The model does not make any logical sense.

Only one that makes sense is MAYBE GW2 because that atleast is some source of income to support a dev staff. If Trion wanted to really change it up why does it have to be $15 a month? I mean hell I am sitting on a full year sub here for like 60$ I think when they offered it.

Honestly, I think the game would benefit greatly from a well done freemium model and I'd actually love a shift in that direction.
    I'd have to disagree, we had plenty of discussions on this in the past and I have yet to see that it's a good idea for a subscription based and developed game to turn in to a free to play / freemium, games developed with that system in mind can be very successful but few that transition turn it in to something positive over time. Not to mention the effects it would have on a very solid and loyal player base.

It's not a popular opinion (I've been sent plenty of nasty tells for suggesting that freemium would benefit the game in 50-59/60 chat), but from everything I've seen, it's really the best way forward for Trion.
    You promoted and thought it would be great for SWTOR as well, just sayin'.

---------- Post added 2012-12-24 at 07:21 PM ----------

Please show me that F2P doesn't work. I'm happy to dig up the numbers showing microtransaction revenue has surpassed subscription revenue in 2012 if you'd like, because it has. I'm happy to list out the games that have made the transition and have improved and are still around because of it if you'd like, I just did so in the SWTOR forums.
    Just because a game is still around doesn't mean the transition was successful, it just means they still make enough to keep afloat, something they could have done before as well.

Feel free to list the successful fantasy RPGMMOs based on EQ that made the transition though.
    Last edited by Redblade; 2012-12-24 at 06:27 PM.

Yea, I think Rift will go Free-2-Play at some point. Its a stronger business model and benefits Rift/Trion in the long run.

I doubt Rift even has 400k subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I doubt Rift even has 400k subs.
    EvE-Online has been around with less than that for about 5 years, it's only in the last couple of years they got up to around 500k if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    I'd have to disagree, we had plenty of discussions on this in the past and I have yet to see that it's a good idea for a subscription based on developed game to turn in to a free to play / freemium, games developed with that system in mind can be very successful but few that transition turn it in to something positive over time. Not to mention the effects it would have on a very solid and loyal player base.
    We have, and I don't think either one of us will change our opinions any time soon : P

You promoted and thought it would be great for SWTOR as well, just sayin'.
    I did, because I was hoping that BW would blow us away with a great model, or have a decent model at the very least. The model they currently have is...to put it politely, disappointing.

Just because a game is still around doesn't mean the transition was successful, it just means they still make enough to keep afloat, something they could have done before as well.

Feel free to list the successful fantasy RPGMMOs based on EQ that made the transition though.
    Here's the list from the SWTOR forums and it's by no means comprehensive: LOTRO, DDO, EQ2, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, Lineage 2, EQ1, Vanguard, DCUO, Fallen Earth, Age of Conan, APB.

All of these games have seen content released at similar, or faster rates than as subscription only games, and have seen boosts to their playerbases in the longterm. If the change wasn't profitable in the longer-term, you wouldn't see games continuing to make the transition from subscription only to hybrid/F2P.

We could take a look at one of the last remaining smaller subscription games, Warhammer, for how well they're doing and how many updates their getting (And Vanguard prior to their model change).