Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    A bit lengthy but I enjoyed it! There was quite a bit of information covered there, so it's all a fuzzy mess in my head, but I did have a quick question regarding opening as destruction. In most situations is it better to pop DS at start and burn embers on CB as soon as possible? Since your trinkets etc. will almost definitely start proccing right away? Or is is better to hold off on DS for a tiny bit until you have a few embers? I've raided exclusively affliction/demo this tier so this weekend will be my first attempt at Destruction.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    A bit lengthy but I enjoyed it! There was quite a bit of information covered there, so it's all a fuzzy mess in my head, but I did have a quick question regarding opening as destruction. In most situations is it better to pop DS at start and burn embers on CB as soon as possible? Since your trinkets etc. will almost definitely start proccing right away? Or is is better to hold off on DS for a tiny bit until you have a few embers? I've raided exclusively affliction/demo this tier so this weekend will be my first attempt at Destruction.
    Take a looksie at the Starting Rotation section I put in there. I'm not going to say it's the most optimal opening because it's entirely possible it isn't, but it's what I've had most success with personally, in terms of starting burst damage and lining trinkets up later in the fight. (I pretty easily keep up with an arcane mage off the start of the fight)

Well using incinerates during DS isn't exactly a total waste either, not sure exactly how big the difference is though, I know that during late beta at least it did not appear to be a dramatic increase to stack up 3-4 embers for every DS vs not doing so, has this changed?

Or is is better to hold off on DS for a tiny bit until you have a few embers? I've raided exclusively affliction/demo this tier so this weekend will be my first attempt at Destruction.
    I always proc DS at the start of the fight to combine with the benefits of pre-potting. Try to save that first chaos bolt for as long as possible to maximize the opportunity to combine it with a proc. You will always gain enough embers for a second chaos bolt, and sometimes a third thanks to high critting incinerates so keep that in mind when deciding when to start throwing out those chaos bolts.

Sometimes this is a little lackluster if nothing procs, and sometimes you get all your procs, pre-pot, DS, and three chaos bolts in. When that happens, you're looking like an angel on the charts.

Deleted
    Hey Brusalk,

Great video!

I got a quick, and maybe annoying, question for you:
    When you damage stuff your damage-counters pop from right to left next to your character. Is this done with MSBT or a similar addon?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    u say "hum" alot it became annoying
    I have to agree. Normally, I wouldn't say anything because the OP isn't a professional, but in this case, the guide is so good and the "non-silent pauses" so prevalent, it detracted from the quality of the video.

When I took speech courses in high school, I was taught a few tricks that might help with it, given a little practice.
    -Plan out your thoughts before you speak. In this case, draw up a quick, but fairly detailed outline and refer to it during your presentation
    -Avoid editorializing and ad lib commentary. The more you're thinking on the fly, the more likely you'll revert to 'non-silent pauses' to fill space while you're deciding what to say.
    -Don't be afraid to pause and be silent
    -Remember that 'um', 'so....', 'so, yeah...', 'you know...' are all distractions and should be avoided and replaced with silence.
    -It can be hard to recognize the problem. Record yourself speaking, and listen for it, then you'll be able to hear and correct it.
    -Don't be afraid to speak more slowly and pause more often if you need more time to think. Speaking fast is not a demonstration of competence, but rather nervousness, and you know the material well, so let that shine.
    -You seem to do this most often at these times:
    -When recalling numbers
    -When recalling specific spell, ability, or item names
    -When transitioning between points
    So, again, planning your comments and following an outline will be the biggest aid towards fixing this problem and making your guides that much better in the future. I look forward to seeing them!

10+ Year Old Account
    Question to all.
    Is it better to stack 6 backdrafts or stay at 3?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodfire View Post
    Question to all.
    I always try to stick at 3, so if my procs align I can Chaos Bolt more quickly. If I'm at 6 stacks and get my procs up I'd have to burn 4 stacks before I could Chaos Bolt effectively. I look forward to other responses though, I just do what "feels" right.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always try to stick at 3, so if my procs align I can Chaos Bolt more quickly. If I'm at 6 stacks and get my procs up I'd have to burn 4 stacks before I could Chaos Bolt effectively. I look forward to other responses though, I just do what "feels" right.
    I have 4pc T14, so that's why i thought about will it be better to stack 6 backdrafts then launch 6 incinerates fast.
    Have to test it though.

Deleted
    Oh and at 0:47:15 you cast Rain of Fire, and it looks badass and there's ALOT of fire raining down. My Rain of Fire looks like poo in comparison, what's up?

10+ Year Old Account
    Medieve explained this to me on a recent forum post, and thanks to him I can tell you!

You do it by typing the command: /console SpellEffectLevel 75 (you can do any number between 1-5000...I use 75) Which will increase your density of Rain of Fire. Also you should increase your particle density in your video options as high as possible. It may lag your computer if you don't have a high end graphics card.
    If you find yourself at the same density level after typing your /console SpellEffectLevel 75 (like what happened to me) I had to go into my World of Warcraft folder and opened my config.wtf file with notepad, then inserted: SET SpellEffectLevel "75" at the bottom of the page. I hope that helps create the epicness you desire!

That was from a post on the first page explaining it = ) hope it helps ya!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adidas View Post
    Medieve explained this to me on a recent forum post, and thanks to him I can tell you!

You do it by typing the command: /console SpellEffectLevel 75 (you can do any number between 1-5000...I use 75) Which will increase your density of Rain of Fire. Also you should increase your particle density in your video options as high as possible. It may lag your computer if you don't have a high end graphics card.
    If you find yourself at the same density level after typing your /console SpellEffectLevel 75 (like what happened to me) I had to go into my World of Warcraft folder and opened my config.wtf file with notepad, then inserted: SET SpellEffectLevel "75" at the bottom of the page. I hope that helps create the epicness you desire!

That was from a post on the first page explaining it = ) hope it helps ya!
    Ohh thank you kindly! (And also thanks Brusalk if you mentioned in the video... It's just so long!)
    Will this increase the effects of all my spells, and all the spells of everyone else too? Aka. will my PC go kaboom in LFR?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemie View Post
    Aka. will my PC go kaboom in LFR?
    Yes, it increases the effect of all spells, not just RoF or your own spells.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Calz View Post
    Yes, it increases the effect of all spells, not just RoF or your own spells.
    Thank you, it can be worth a dip to 20-25 FPS though. Rain of Fire just looks really cool now! Although using it on 40 as anything beyond that looked "too much" imho.

Also, a last question that is once again maybe off-topic to the thread: Will this SpellEffectLevel change also effect my other characters?

Quote Originally Posted by Micke View Post
    Well using incinerates during DS isn't exactly a total waste either, not sure exactly how big the difference is though, I know that during late beta at least it did not appear to be a dramatic increase to stack up 3-4 embers for every DS vs not doing so, has this changed?
    WIth Sacrifice it's a DPS loss not to stack embers for DS/Trinket Procs. With the 4set and DS coming every 1:20 I could see this idea having more merit and shifting the role of DS from Chaos Bolt damage increaser to Ember Generator.

---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 05:53 PM ----------

Hey Brusalk,

Great video!

I got a quick, and maybe annoying, question for you:
    When you damage stuff your damage-counters pop from right to left next to your character. Is this done with MSBT or a similar addon?

Thanks!
    That is indeed MSBT.

---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 05:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by fire6fly View Post
    I have to agree. Normally, I wouldn't say anything because the OP isn't a professional, but in this case, the guide is so good and the "non-silent pauses" so prevalent, it detracted from the quality of the video.

When I took speech courses in high school, I was taught a few tricks that might help with it, given a little practice.
    -Plan out your thoughts before you speak. In this case, draw up a quick, but fairly detailed outline and refer to it during your presentation
    -Avoid editorializing and ad lib commentary. The more you're thinking on the fly, the more likely you'll revert to 'non-silent pauses' to fill space while you're deciding what to say.
    -Don't be afraid to pause and be silent
    -Remember that 'um', 'so....', 'so, yeah...', 'you know...' are all distractions and should be avoided and replaced with silence.
    -It can be hard to recognize the problem. Record yourself speaking, and listen for it, then you'll be able to hear and correct it.
    -Don't be afraid to speak more slowly and pause more often if you need more time to think. Speaking fast is not a demonstration of competence, but rather nervousness, and you know the material well, so let that shine.
    -You seem to do this most often at these times:
    -When recalling numbers
    -When recalling specific spell, ability, or item names
    -When transitioning between points
    So, again, planning your comments and following an outline will be the biggest aid towards fixing this problem and making your guides that much better in the future. I look forward to seeing them!
    I've taken quite a few speech classes and I know how to avoid saying stuff like that, but for this initial guide I mostly just wanted to get the information out there as I'd gotten a lot of requests to make a guide over a very short period of time. I think people are beginning to tire of Affliction and are beginning to get really interested in Destruction.

I'm currently working on a written version of the guide with 1 or two additional tips that should be out in the next day or two. Once I'm done with that I'll likely redo the video version and spend more time (the current one I literally did in like 2 takes for each section. I just went with the first one where I didn't mess up and completely forget something or completely flub a line)

---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 05:56 PM ----------

Question to all.
    There's no reason to keep backdraft stacks at all. The only time I really ever have more than 3 is at the start of a fight (which I shortly get rid of) or just after a big DS burn where I've had charges building up.

---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 05:59 PM ----------

I have 4pc T14, so that's why i thought about will it be better to stack 6 backdrafts then launch 6 incinerates fast.
    Have to test it though.
    If you're wondering about attempting to use DS as a Ember Generator cooldown instead of a damage boost with Chaos Bolt, I can only say that I don't have any conclusive proof of which one is better. Mainly because I haven't gotten the 4pc yet and I haven't had much of a reason to compare the two in-game or in-sim.

As for stacking 6 to use 6 quick incinerates under the benefit of DS, assuming that it's better to use it that way with 4pc, then yes, saving up to right before you pop DS would be the best route as you can get more incinerates off under the crit chance. However I can't say that it is better that way, so until I or someone else (possibly you) look into it further, I'd be inclined to say that with 4pc you should use it as always and use it as an ember dump with Chaos Bolt.

---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 06:00 PM ----------

Thank you, it can be worth a dip to 20-25 FPS though. Rain of Fire just looks really cool now! Although using it on 40 as anything beyond that looked "too much" imho.

Also, a last question that is once again maybe off-topic to the thread: Will this SpellEffectLevel change also effect my other characters?
    Glad someone helped you out with this. It's also in the video guide under the last section "Moar Meteors". Perhaps I should rename that section in the next version (if I decide to remake it).

SpellEffectLevel will affect other characters, yes.

Just curious, do you ever have to respec to something else than destro for certain fights?

Quote Originally Posted by Zakkarioth View Post
    Just curious, do you ever have to respec to something else than destro for certain fights?
    I used to go affliction for Will of the Emperor. However one time when we got there I'd swapped my aff spec for demo to mess around with on tsulong and I just went as destro and proceeded to beat my aff damage record on add damage. (Boss damage was slightly lower, but the increased uptime for everyone else meant more raid dps on the bosses)

I go affliction (at least for right now) for Protectors Heroic, as the 70% glyphed CoExhaustion is amazing for controlling the adds. I really wish that conflagrate always snared at 50%, no immo required, and that the glyph increased the slow to 70% (just like how both demo and aff have 70% slow glyphs) but added back in the Immo requirement.

Other than that I'm destro for every fight pretty much. I tried going Affliction one week on every fight and my damage was about the same. If I went full time Aff I could probably do a bit more damage on some fights, but I find that Destro's damage (even with Shadowburn overkills) is usually more useful in it's purpose than afflictions. Affliction takes a bit of time to start up on fresh mobs, while destro's damage is instant, for example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brusalk View Post
    I used to go affliction for Will of the Emperor. However one time when we got there I'd swapped my aff spec for demo to mess around with on tsulong and I just went as destro and proceeded to beat my aff damage record on add damage. (Boss damage was slightly lower, but the increased uptime for everyone else meant more raid dps on the bosses)

I go affliction (at least for right now) for Protectors Heroic, as the 70% glyphed CoExhaustion is amazing for controlling the adds. I really wish that conflagrate always snared at 50%, no immo required, and that the glyph increased the slow to 70% (just like how both demo and aff have 70% slow glyphs) but added back in the Immo requirement.

Other than that I'm destro for every fight pretty much. I tried going Affliction one week on every fight and my damage was about the same. If I went full time Aff I could probably do a bit more damage on some fights, but I find that Destro's damage (even with Shadowburn overkills) is usually more useful in it's purpose than afflictions. Affliction takes a bit of time to start up on fresh mobs, while destro's damage is instant, for example.
    New question:
    Is there any crit cap to which we should go or it's better up stacking mastery instead?

New question:
    Is there any crit cap to which we should go or it's better up stacking mastery instead?
    There's a hard crit cap but that's nearly impossible to reach as it is. Regardless stacking mastery is best.

Deleted
    Just finished watching the whole video (phu!), great work. Very helpful, thanks alot!
    I now realise I need to now clip my goddamn immolate all the time.

Although, when you get trinket procs etc. do you refresh your immolate even though it might have around 10 seconds left?
    Cause I do that and it feels weird. (Might be because i did so as Affliction to get a haunt of on those supercharged DoTs).

EDIT: Also thanks for the opening sequense you use, now I don't have to be miles behind everyone else for 1 minute in the start.
    Also quite smart of you to actually find an opening that use the Dark Soul so it's always on CD. Hah, thanks alot.
    Last edited by mmocc408757861; 2012-12-28 at 01:10 PM.