Page 1 of 51
... LastLast
    Deleted

[Megathread] Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBF6J...layer_embedded

Pretty clear it's MGS at this point. But what does the trailer actually mean. Is it real, a dream or an illusion?

Interesting speculation:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkHjzzix1kA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7IhuPIQHDQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxcO99mZgVU
    Last edited by Sj; 2012-12-30 at 10:12 PM.

Well you can bet that if this isn't MGS this company will be hated and so will their game.

With that said, there is no way in hell that this game isn't an MGS game, it's impossible...

There are so many damn clues it's not even funny. Not to mention the Metal Gear Solid V appearing on the end.

I only wonder if this is Ground Zeroes or just MGS 5. I hope it is the latter and that it gets released atleast a while after GZ. Why would they tease it so soon?

Besides, do you really think that Moby Dick Studios wouldn't say that this has nothing to do with MGS (unless they live under a rock lol).

I wouldn't want my first game that I created to be mistaken like that. So yeah, it is an MGS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Besides, do you really think that Moby Dick Studios wouldn't say that this has nothing to do with MGS (unless they live under a rock lol).

I wouldn't want my first game that I created to be mistaken like that. So yeah, it is an MGS.
    I know it's MGS, that's not the question. I already said that in the OP.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love the fact that nobody (including myself tyvm) has no idea.... from the get go, any MGS story starts with a clue no matter how cryptic or absurd!

Best times to be had are coming, rest your weary stupid mouths..... kiss sneaky monkies
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

I did not have watched the speculation videos and I'm not quite sure about time lining issues about this thesis, but could the guy with the prothesis possibly be Raiden? If I remember correctly, in that one demo for Vengence, they said that Raiden lost his arm and an eye to someone, maybe this happened before the patriots started to tinker with his body and cyborg tech. Snake also stated in part 4 that he worked with him, that could also imply that there were further missions after MGS2 they worked on together. The guy who helped the man with the prothesis who would be Raiden in this scenario would then be Snake of course. At the end, you can see that the man has a face which looks much like that of Big Boss. We do not know how the excellerated aging of Snake went, so....yeah. Opinions?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulljin View Post
    I did not have watched the speculation videos and I'm not quite sure about time lining issues about this thesis, but could the guy with the prothesis possibly be Raiden? If I remember correctly, in that one demo for Vengence, they said that Raiden lost his arm and an eye to someone, maybe this happened before the patriots started to tinker with his body and cyborg tech. Snake also stated in part 4 that he worked with him, that could also imply that there were further missions after MGS2 they worked on together. The guy who helped the man with the prothesis who would be Raiden in this scenario would then be Snake of course. At the end, you can see that the man has a face which looks much like that of Big Boss. We do not know how the excellerated aging of Snake went, so....yeah. Opinions?
    Sounds possible, if the guy didn't totally look like Snake. I thought it might be Liquud, because of the missing arm and the GB flag.

That guy, who did the interpretation had a similar idea.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxcO99mZgVU

10+ Year Old Account
    So, if you speculate that this is an MGS game, then what is the explanation for the huge ass burning whale that came out of the ground and swallowed that helicopter?

That doesn't seem like Kojima's style, not unless it was a giant robot whale of some sort.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Is that still Big Boss?

Looks freaking amazing even compared to other MGS trailers.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    So, if you speculate that this is an MGS game, then what is the explanation for the huge ass burning whale that came out of the ground and swallowed that helicopter?

That doesn't seem like Kojima's style, not unless it was a giant robot whale of some sort.
    Hallucinations probably. Would explain why Volgin is there too. Could be caused by drugs or that Psycho Mantis looking figure at the end.

And for anyone who doesn't have time to watch the videos, here's a convenient image. There's some jokes on it, but most of it is pretty interesting stuff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post

The guy that does the interpretation vids says it doesnt have to have anything to do with the game. Maybe just a collection of weird things and easter eggs to get people to speculate. Also it might be related to the name of the company, Moby Dick.

---------- Post added 2012-12-24 at 08:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Is that still Big Boss?

Looks freaking amazing even compared to other MGS trailers.
    Either him or Liquid I guess, because the doctor says he woke up from a coma.

Either him or Liquid I guess, because the doctor says he woke up from a coma.
    Pretty sure it's Big Boss. Look at the picture I linked above, he has the same scar as BB does in the Ground Zeroes trailer. He also dreams of/hallucinates Volgin and white petals, which I don't think Liquid has any connection to.

This and GZ are probably set between Peace Walker and Metal Gear 1, detailing how BB became a bad guy. I wouldn't even be surprised if they were the same game, and one of them was like the Tanker Chapter from MGS2.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duruka View Post
    Pretty sure it's Big Boss. Look at the picture I linked above, he has the same scar as BB does in the Ground Zeroes trailer. He also dreams of/hallucinates Volgin and white petals, which I don't think Liquid has any connection to.

This and GZ are probably set between Peace Walker and Metal Gear 1, detailing how BB became a bad guy. I wouldn't even be surprised if they were the same game, and one of them was like the Tanker Chapter from MGS2.
    Yeah I think Big Boss was everyone's first idea. But he's missing his arm, there's a flag of GB which suggests that place is in GB, where Liquid was raised, and you see a scene of him being in a car crash, which was the last thing that happened to Liquid before he died.

Maybe it's neither BB nor Liquid and it's just a mix of MGS stuff to get people to speculate. Maybe this isn't really anything that happens anywhere in the game and is just a bunch of Easter Eggs to draw attention to the game. But I still feel Liquid is involved somehow. Damn I would love a game about Liquid so much.

Deleted
    it might explain Liquid taking control of Ocelot from that perspective if it's a MGS game

Deleted
    While I think it looks like that game is on the Fox Engine and it looks inspired by, if not created by Kojima, I don't think it's Metal Gear. At least, I don't think it's a Solid Metal Gear IP. Several reasons for this:

1.) Big Boss, as far as we know, never lost an arm before the incidents in the first Metal Gear games when he is defeated by Solid Snake. (Though I'll admit that the greying mullet, grizzly stuble and patch over the eye reeks of Big Boss circa 1980's.)

2.) Solid Snake never lost an arm before the events of MGS4 and if this is set after MGS4, the MC looks too young to be Solid Snake (FoxDie was breaking his body down constantly and the guy in this clip is in better shape than Snake in MGS4, despite the lack of arm.).

3.) That whale looks completely supernatural/magic based. That's not Kojima's style. Especially after retconning nearly every supernatural aspect to the MGS series by stating that these powers (walking on water, rapid healing etc) were granted through nano-machines, not some unexplainable force. A huge entity like that would like have something mechanical about its appearance if it was part of the MGS franchise.

4.) I doubt the MC is Liquid. Though, he was a tough son of a bitch, he got screwed up bad on Shadow Moses. The grizzly, aged features could be explained by the effects of FoxDie kicking in, but it doesn't look like the right time period to be set after MGS1, plus, I'm pretty sure they stripped Liquid for parts pretty soon after they found his body.

It's possible that this could be an addition to Metal Gear, though I doubt it's Solid (which includes Big Boss' exploits), after all Kojima is hardly one to shy away from retcons, but I doubt it fairly strongly. Almost positive it's on the Fox Engine though, so it could be from Kojima. Though, it would be strange to have someone unrelated to Big Boss look so much like him...
    Last edited by mmocf558c230a5; 2012-12-25 at 02:00 PM.

I'd suggest it's Big Boss and Gray Fox. Shortly after Gray Fox (Frank Bauer) had his nose and ears cut off while held captive by FRELIMO, making it a late 70's/early 80's setting, after the Peace Walker Incident, where it is mentioned that Big Boss rescued him. I would say they're severely medicated/drugged or under the influence of some kind of mind altering abilities. The giant demon whale potentially is symbolic of a metal gear, which would of course make it Moby Dick to Big Boss' Ahab.

Deleted
    That's a very compelling theory, Shinzai, and seems quite likely thinking about it.

It's just the fact that the player-character (hypothetical Big Boss) is missing an arm which makes me question the possibility of it being any of the protagonists we have played as in the Metal Gear series so far. (But, as I said in my last post. Retcons in MGS are not unheard of.)
    Last edited by mmocf558c230a5; 2012-12-26 at 12:11 AM.

The giant demon whale potentially is symbolic of a metal gear, which would of course make it Moby Dick to Big Boss' Ahab.
    Also note that one of the characters in Moby Dick lost his arm to the whale. Just another neat little connection.

Also, I thought this was interesting. If this doesn't turn out to be Metal Gear related, it might be Silent Hill (or a crossover). The trailer does seem a bit horror-ish.

I was gonna reserve this game at Target lol but I didn't, and when I went back the next week it wasn't there.