DSL Internet question

My buddy at work has DSL through Verizon and just recently tried adding a Cisco wireless router so his daughter can use her new tablet on the Internet too.

Bare with me here it took an hour to get what info I could from him, he doesn't really know anything other than how to turn it on and off.

So he said to make the Internet work he has to use a cable that runs from the modem to the PC that has a cat5e end for the modem and then inline there is a small back box that splits the line into a USB and cat5 ends. Both this'd need to be hooked into the PC in order for him to use the Internet.

So question, what cable is he talking about. Can he get his DSL to work through his new router w/o it? He says it I my works using that wierd cable and both ends hooked into his PC.

He. Is running windows 7. I asked about drivers and got a blank stare.

His Internet works through the modem but not the router bc he can't use the funny cable

Sry for the bad structure at work o iPhone hard to edit
    My new baby
    CPU: i5-3570k @4.1 Cooler: H-100 MoBo: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 RAM: 16Gig Mushkin Blackline 1600 SSD: Crucial M4 128 HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB GPU: MSI 7950 OC @ 925/1375 Case: CM Storm Trooper PSU: Seasonic X650 Gold

10+ Year Old Account
    if you can get the model number of your friends modem that would help a lot

but he should connect it like this modem>router>computers

CAT5, CAT5e and CAT6 all use a port called RJ45, that is the name of the port, CAT5e is a grade of cable

the modem should have an RJ45 port, that needs to plug into the internet port on the Cisco router, the router should have 4 RJ45 ports labeled "LAN" or "Network" his computer needs to plug into one of those

It's a linksys E1200. From what I could gather it is hooked up correctly. I am just unsure if the issue is that wierd cable he has to use.

Like I said before his Internet works when he only uses the modem with that cat5/USB splitter attached. And since he can't hook that cable into his router I am uncertain if its the cable or the router itself.

I wrote down for him how to DL drivers and put them on a USB drive before hooking up the router and attempting to et it worki g again. Hopefully it's a driver related issue and not that he needs to use that strange cable.

If that's the case I advised him to call Verizon and ask for a wireless router/modem combo box.

Thanks for the reply cyanotical it's driving me crazy that I cannot figure out what that cable is he is talking about. Google/bing was no help
    My new baby
    CPU: i5-3570k @4.1 Cooler: H-100 MoBo: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 RAM: 16Gig Mushkin Blackline 1600 SSD: Crucial M4 128 HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB GPU: MSI 7950 OC @ 925/1375 Case: CM Storm Trooper PSU: Seasonic X650 Gold

10+ Year Old Account
    The model number of the modem not the router!

I have never heard of such a device that splits ethernet into usb and ethernet. I'm thinking it would be helpful to provide the make and model of that inline device you speak of and possibly a picture of it. Honestly I think that device is providing a placebo affect and isn't actually needed as I have had dsl from them in the past and never had such a device.

Was thinking that device was a power over ethernet injector but there's no way usb could provide anywhere close to the required volts or watts required to operate a dsl or cable modem
    Last edited by lockblock; 2012-12-24 at 08:15 PM.