1. #1

    Sorcerer vs Operative for healing?

    Was forced to switch servers because Imps were so bad on my old one I swear I got trolled by my own team in every WZ. They actually made the alliance look good they were so bad. Moved to a new server but having trouble picking a character. Last one was a 50 assassin so I dont really want to do the same story over again. But the main problem I see with Operative is you have no DPS spec and will be forced to only heal when you hit 50. But from what I read on the official forums the same is true for Sorcerer/Sage as they are bottom feeders when it comes to DPS as well compared to Snipers, Maras, Juggs, Powertechs...well every other class. Having stealth was awesome on my Sin as it let me get quests done much faster especially once I hit 50 and started dailies.

    Between Sorcerer and Operative who wins when it comes to the following:

    Ease of leveling
    Soloing Elite Quests
    Easy mode healing.....without addons or even mouseover macros I want the most faceroll healing class possible.
    PvP at all levels
    Better of the 2 DPS trees because I need to level somehow and I cant heal mobs to death.....OPs have been below horrible since like March so they HAVE to be getting buffs soon.

  2. #2
    Bloodsail Admiral Devorawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,050
    I haven't played Operative much, but I've played Sorcerer a fair bit.

    Since you get Khem Val at the start, you can opt to go with a healing specc and just have Khem tank whilst you heal.

    This also works with minor heals if you're in a DPS specc.

    With this combo you can easily take down most mobs, even the bigger ones!

    The healing is pretty simple from what I remember, a couple different levels of your standard healing spell plus a HoT and a bubble. I'm fairly sure I've missed some stuff out, but it's not particularly complicated!

    Couldn't comment on PVP, sorry!

    It's been so long since playing the game, but I think I went Lightning and that was fairly easy. There is another one that's based more around the DoT's you use (I think) but I never used it since I never had any issues with Lighting.

    Note: The specc may not be called lightning, I can't remember, but It was focused around your lightning spells rather than your DoT's.

    I got to 50 fairly easily, it was nowhere as quick as my Jedi Shadow, but I didn't run into any big problems, and most walls could be overcome by just sending Khem in and nuking stuff down as fast as possible whilst keeping a bubble up on him, maybe a heal here and there.

    Good luckl! Sorcerers are a great, if you already did the Inq story, you could try again with a different gender, love interest ect, the story doesn't have to be exactly the same!
    If you spend your entire life getting senpai to notice you, you'll never notice anyone else.

    2philosophical4me

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post

    Ease of leveling operative stealth is beyond amazing
    Soloing Elite Quests Sorcerer
    Easy mode healing.....without addons or even mouseover macros I want the most faceroll healing class possible. Sorcerer
    PvP at all levels Endgame healing operative. Low level healing none. Low level dps operative
    Better of the 2 DPS trees because I need to level somehow and I cant heal mobs to death.....OPs have been below horrible since like March so they HAVE to be getting buffs soon. I think this is sorcerer
    for endgame pvp healing operative is better.

  4. #4
    Think I might go Operative just for the story and badass ship too. And when I played my Sin stealth was amazing for leveling cause you could just CC your way into any area and then back out again. Also like I said, Operatives have sucked so badly at DPS since like March they have to be getting buffs soon. Never heard of a class being so bad in any game for such a long period of time. Unless BioWare just assume every single OP is a healer and thus the DPS trees dont need to be buffed. I honestly wouldnt put it past them to think like that either.

    Also how are Sorcerer better than OPs for elite quests? Seems like the hots and all the CC/Stuns would make the OPs the better at elite quests. Not to mention if shit goes wrong cant they vanish like a Sin and start over?
    Last edited by Lilly32; 2012-12-24 at 03:40 PM.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Think I might go Operative just for the story and badass ship too. And when I played my Sin stealth was amazing for leveling cause you could just CC your way into any area and then back out again. Also like I said, Operatives have sucked so badly at DPS since like March they have to be getting buffs soon. Never heard of a class being so bad in any game for such a long period of time. Unless BioWare just assume every single OP is a healer and thus the DPS trees dont need to be buffed. I honestly wouldnt put it past them to think like that either.

    Also how are Sorcerer better than OPs for elite quests? Seems like the hots and all the CC/Stuns would make the OPs the better at elite quests. Not to mention if shit goes wrong cant they vanish like a Sin and start over?
    My main is a Scoundrel, (same as Operative but on the Rep's side) and I have both dps and healed with my class so I will give you as much insight as I can. Leveling an Op is extremely easy. Stealth will help you skip mob packs and your vanish ability is on 90sec CD. Ops are better PvP healers, as they have a lot of instant heals and their healing abilities and mechanism is by far the most fun in the game. As far as their dps, Ops are similar with Assassin, both stealthy classes but Ops rely more on DoTs and they can off-heal making them more similar to feral druids than WoW's rogues. Ops best dps spec is Consealment and you will understand its power when you hit lvl 25 and get your first ability from your talent tree. Fianlly, IA have the best story in the game so I would suggest you to try playing one even if you chose to level a Sorcerer first.

    If you want to see some PvP action check my youtube page. There I have PvP videos as well as a DPS guide. I hope that would help you get an overall idea about the class. (Don't forget that Scoundrels and Operatives are mirror classes)
    Check my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/kingofkalamos!!!
    Full with SWTOR and LoL!

  6. #6
    Found some vidoes of Scoundrels/Operatives and just noticed a major problem. It seems when doing WZs they dont just heal and have to also use all of their CCs and stuns and even DPS a little. Im horrible at juggling a bunch of keybinds so how am I supposed to do all of that? Can I just focus on healing and thats it?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Found some vidoes of Scoundrels/Operatives and just noticed a major problem. It seems when doing WZs they dont just heal and have to also use all of their CCs and stuns and even DPS a little. Im horrible at juggling a bunch of keybinds so how am I supposed to do all of that? Can I just focus on healing and thats it?
    Got bad news for you. That also applies in PVE. Depending on the gear of the tank, I might actually spend more time dpsing than healing (note: I'm referring to SM ops and FPs)

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Found some vidoes of Scoundrels/Operatives and just noticed a major problem. It seems when doing WZs they dont just heal and have to also use all of their CCs and stuns and even DPS a little. Im horrible at juggling a bunch of keybinds so how am I supposed to do all of that? Can I just focus on healing and thats it?
    Well, all healers in PvP shouldn't just heal. They can and should CC and interrupt as well as doing some dps if they can. If you want you can just heal, nobody would tell you a thing. Grab a tank that would put guard on you and steamroll warzones
    Check my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/kingofkalamos!!!
    Full with SWTOR and LoL!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by kalamitis View Post
    Well, all healers in PvP shouldn't just heal. They can and should CC and interrupt as well as doing some dps if they can. If you want you can just heal, nobody would tell you a thing. Grab a tank that would put guard on you and steamroll warzones
    Just heal people only care about getting healed they wont even notice if you arent doing anything else. Im usually so shocked to get heals in a WZ I wouldnt even notice if they were totally naked with no gear on.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymene View Post
    Got bad news for you. That also applies in PVE. Depending on the gear of the tank, I might actually spend more time dpsing than healing (note: I'm referring to SM ops and FPs)
    Well I will just stick to healing only since there arent any UI mods to remove some of the healing abilities from my action bar so I can add DPS abilities.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Also how are Sorcerer better than OPs for elite quests? Seems like the hots and all the CC/Stuns would make the OPs the better at elite quests. Not to mention if shit goes wrong cant they vanish like a Sin and start over?
    dps spec both classes:

    * sorcerer got shield, can put on companion or yourself.
    * sorc have fast heals that doesnt require tactical advantage(or whatever its called) that require you to shiv the target(be in melee range)
    * sorc have fast sprint with short cd that allow you get away and get a heal off.
    * operative dps include backstab which you need to be behind the target which can screw you
    * feel that operative dps is worse then sorc dps... so damn energy starved if the elite herioc quest boss have lots of hp.
    * has in combat CC that works on all type of targets... which means that you can re cc if you need = amazing
    * sorc got stun to.. exactly the same

    + side for operative
    *stealth can make you solo herioc 4 quests instances.. that requires no killing.. i tried with my sorc but clearing thrash is a major pita for obviously reasons, but most of all the thrash respawns... so for this operative stealth is amazing

    i have both and they are really fun classes to level.. cant go wrong with either... i soloed every herioc 2+ ingame with my sorc.. didnt try so much on operative but it can be strong to but i feel sorc is better cause of better heals, in combat CC and more steady dps(no energy starving or requirements being behind). Operative is though ALOT smoother to quest with due to stealth.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Also how are Sorcerer better than OPs for elite quests? Seems like the hots and all the CC/Stuns would make the OPs the better at elite quests. Not to mention if shit goes wrong cant they vanish like a Sin and start over?
    I have both at 50 and play both with healing skill set. Sorcerers are better for (most) elite quests as their one-minute cc on humanoids (by far the most common opponents) can be reapplied during combat while the operative version only works from stealth. One last difference, Operatives can kite melee mobs unlimited, both classes can kite ranged unlimited if the environment allows breaking LOS, some of the chapter end bosses become completely trivial with either healer class.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    I have both at 50 and play both with healing skill set. Sorcerers are better for (most) elite quests as their one-minute cc on humanoids (by far the most common opponents) can be reapplied during combat while the operative version only works from stealth. One last difference, Operatives can kite melee mobs unlimited, both classes can kite ranged unlimited if the environment allows breaking LOS, some of the chapter end bosses become completely trivial with either healer class.
    I remember doing the elite dailies on my Sin and stealth was pretty much mandatory unless you just did a suicide run to the kill target and probe rezed to reset the trash.

  14. #14
    Not sure what dailies we are talking about, but as an example I can solo the Ilum H2 with a sorcerer and can't with the Operative.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    Not sure what dailies we are talking about, but as an example I can solo the Ilum H2 with a sorcerer and can't with the Operative.
    You can do it with both, depending on your gear/ stealth.

    For PvP I found Sorcerer heal only viable if you have a tank/ second healer where as with an operative and it's stealth you can do more healing/ objective wise because of stealth and no cost/ 30% heals.

  16. #16
    its a daily in belsavis you need stealth with a jedi at the end or something... did it with the sorc by just pulling everything then ressed infront of the boss.. not a big problem.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychlon View Post
    You can do it with both, depending on your gear/ stealth.

    For PvP I found Sorcerer heal only viable if you have a tank/ second healer where as with an operative and it's stealth you can do more healing/ objective wise because of stealth and no cost/ 30% heals.
    This. With the no cost of your instant heal to targets below 30% you can deny kills to your opponents. It's just too OP
    Check my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/kingofkalamos!!!
    Full with SWTOR and LoL!

  18. #18
    Think Im gonna roll a tank. Healed a few FPs last night as I leveled through my 30s and about fell asleep. No one even came close to dying even though everyone was under geared. I even started facepulling stuff and again no deaths.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Think Im gonna roll a tank. Healed a few FPs last night as I leveled through my 30s and about fell asleep. No one even came close to dying even though everyone was under geared. I even started facepulling stuff and again no deaths.
    Healing low lvl flashpoints with my agent... I was doing mostly damage and in case someone dropt a little I would toss a heal. PvP is entirely different though and more interesting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •