Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is this the most peaceful the World has ever been?

So I haven't been able to find any data to quantify this claim, but I've heard from folks and random articles without sources that we are in the most peaceful period of recorded human history. Personally I don't think that's very true but of course my idea is shouted down by "you're biased because it looks like there's more war because of media coverage". And to that I have nothing else to say.

So what do you folks think?
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    What about 1946?

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with the statement; as surreal as it sounds, nuclear weaponry has proven to be the great peacemaker of our time.

And of course, by 'war', we're referring to general war in the fashion of the World Wars, or direct conflicts between the great powers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The western 'world' is not the actual world...
    So no, I do not believe it's the most peaceful it's ever been.

-Grim

Deleted
    Comparing it to other times, I'd say it's better than it used to be.

Deleted
    in recorded history ?
    Absolutely not.
    There are more small scale conflicts, and countries that are in the middle of revolt now than there was a couple of hundred years ago.
    Back then they did not have the technology that we do now meaning that even if there was a war it was limited to a set field of battle which would have taken days, weeks, or months to get to depending on its location and who was the aggressor and who was defending. It was not possible to have an entire country under attack, or in a state of civil war as it is now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not more or less peaceful than at any time in history (maybe except WWII).

I think the 90s were nicer.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokru View Post
    Not more or less peaceful than at any time in history (maybe except WWII).
    It's probably less, since the risk of general war is vastly less if nonexistent.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    I think the 90s were nicer.
    Rwandan genocide says hello.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the western world, it most certainly is. The same cannot be said for everyone else.

Stood in the Fire Static Transit's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I think there might be a lot of bias concerning this depending on where you live. In the U.S., for example, where a long way away from any war front, so it's deceptively peaceful. I wouldn't make any claims before going to any of the more war-torn areas though.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I agree with the statement; as surreal as it sounds, nuclear weaponry has proven to be the great peacemaker of our time.

And of course, by 'war', we're referring to general war in the fashion of the World Wars, or direct conflicts between the great powers.
    mutual assured destruction is not peace

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    that statement is probably accurate
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aethon View Post
    mutual assured destruction is not peace
    Why isn't it? Having active deterrents is not the same as being at war with another power.

Deleted
    Globalization has led to increased economic dependence between countries, wich makes us less likely to attack each other.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Akinaria View Post
    What about 1946?
    4 years away from Korea and most of the world is still fucked from WW2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, this is the most peaceful period in recorded history, far and away.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    4 years away from Korea and most of the world is still fucked from WW2.
    Not to mention the nuclear deterrent had not come into play yet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    Rwandan genocide says hello.
    Did not effect most of the world, which is what this thread is about. There is always war, it just varies how much.