Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    So I haven't been able to find any data to quantify this claim, but I've heard from folks and random articles without sources that we are in the most peaceful period of recorded human history. Personally I don't think that's very true but of course my idea is shouted down by "you're biased because it looks like there's more war because of media coverage". And to that I have nothing else to say.

So what do you folks think?
    27 BC to 180 AD for the Western World. However for Europe since 1946 it has been fairly close to perfect peace, sure there was the fear of the cold war, but for the most part Europe has been with out war. (not counting Yugoslavia) However globally we are very close to another set of world wars, this is because as the world moves closer to a type 1 civilization certain regions are highly resistant to the modern secular world we are moving towards. So the next set of world wars will be a war of Religion versus Humanity.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    27 BC to 180 AD for the Western World. However for Europe since 1946 it has been fairly close to perfect peace, sure there was the fear of the cold war, but for the most part Europe has been with out war. (not counting Yugoslavia) However globally we are very close to another set of world wars, this is because as the world moves closer to a type 1 civilization certain regions are highly resistant to the modern secular world we are moving towards. So the next set of world wars will be a war of Religion versus Humanity.
    I feel that the next few wars will be bully wars in small religious countries in the east, i don't think will be any big conflicts in the near future.

Well, unless the economy will suddenly disapear and pull a nazi germany.

Actually, height of one of the big empires, like Mongolian, might actually be ironically. Yes, their neighbours might been under siege, but within the empire was peaceful, and the Mongolian empire at its height was basically like everywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think so. Most countries are getting a long decently compared to other times.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Champxoxo View Post
    No, I think thinks were pretty calm at the start of TBC, ever since Wrathgate there's been big tensions.
    Burst out laughing.
    Win.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hmm yes, granted it's still not really peaceful, but way more peaceful than previous period times.

Yes it is. As violent as the world still seems, this is the most peaceful it has ever been.

Quote Originally Posted by Akinaria View Post
    What about 1946?
    There's nothing peaceful about 1946.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Not really, my philosophy side of me says that there has to be things that are peaceful for peace to happen. There has to be things with the ability to not be at peace to make peace happen. Also my smart ass says we have no idea if life has ever not existed.

Also if something is able to just not have living things to be at peace then why not just bomb a country and kill everything that lives in it. Since there are no living things there anymore is it at 'peace'?
    Well your philosophical side might be correct but your smart-ass might be not correct because I was specifically speaking about Earth and there are some geological periods that couldn't support life at all. How life came to be after these periods is debatable.

27 BC to 180 AD for the Western World.
    That wasn't peaceful at all. The West saw a revolt by the Batavians, two wars in Britain (including Boudica's revolt), two Parthian wars, two Dacian wars, three Jewish revolts, and a series of battles in Germania ending with the Marcomannic Wars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    That wasn't peaceful at all. The West saw a revolt by the Batavians, two wars in Britain (including Boudica's revolt), two Parthian wars, two Dacian wars, three Jewish revolts, and a series of battles in Germania ending with the Marcomannic Wars.
    And yet that was the Pax Romana.

I imagine the world was quite peaceful before humanity existed.

And yet that was the Pax Romana.
    It's all relative. The point is that compared with antiquity, today's world is a lot more peaceful, even (or especially) if you only look at Europe. There hasn't been a general war in Europe since 1945.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I agree with the statement; as surreal as it sounds, nuclear weaponry has proven to be the great peacemaker of our time.

And of course, by 'war', we're referring to general war in the fashion of the World Wars, or direct conflicts between the great powers.
    You must be out of your god damn mind, seriously! I suppose your next claim will be that dropping bombs on Japan also secured peace back then?
    Don't answer, not really interested in another article that you haven't read to begin with

The only reason there's peace in Europe is due to the UN and the economical cooperation, nuclear weapons has nothing to do with it.
    Does it look like nuclear weapons have secured peace in the middle east or between India and Pakistan?

Nuclear war almost occurred once due to a misunderstanding, which was only avoided by the intelligence of a Russian sub-commander, not because US had nukes, but because he actually used the one thing that matters, his brain.

Dear lord, you were spewing complete nonsense yesterday also in another thread about war!

OT;

It would seem it's more peaceful if you compare it to all out world wars in the past, but I'm guessing when the Euro collapses because countries still can't come to agreements on global financial aid and who pays, or global effort to reduce pollution instead of selling their pollution rates to under-developed countries, we will see a return to the normal human behavior...
    Last edited by Banzhe; 2012-12-25 at 08:46 AM.

Deleted
    peaceful ? where ? in front of your door ? maybe

take a look at the WORLD ... there is no such thing as peace.

Humans are stupid will never Change

Deleted
    The only reason there's peace in Europe is due to the UN and the economical cooperation, nuclear weapons has nothing to do with it.
    Does it look like nuclear weapons have secured peace in the middle east or between India and Pakistan?
    The only reason their was peace in Europe was because After two world wars their was not much left on their land to fight over. They had no problem however, killing Freedom fighters and the civilians, who fought to free their people from Western Imperialism. Europe never stopped wagging war, they just exported it and killed millions to try and keep their Empires alive.
    During the Cold War, Americans, Europeans, The USSR were supporting Rebels to try to get Government's in power that were loyal to them. When the 1st Democratic Prime Minister of the Republic of the Congo spoke out about Belgium's interference in his country. The Belgium Government had him kidnapped, tortured and then executed by firing squad. Events such as these were happening all over former Colonies. Many of these Rebellions are still going on to this day.

Deleted
    yes, there have never been such a large percentage of the humans on earth who lived in peace
    (a century ago, a lot less people died, but there where also a lot less people on the earth)
    If you look back more then a century ago, war was a very commen thing, if you had the luck of getting older then 50 you would probably have experienced a war or 2

Quote Originally Posted by Grim32 View Post
    The western 'world' is not the actual world...
    So no, I do not believe it's the most peaceful it's ever been.

-Grim
    This is my personal opinion as well. Just because most the folks able to discuss on these forums live in a peaceful nation doesn't mean the world as a whole is better off than ever before.

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 01:14 AM ----------

It's all relative. The point is that compared with antiquity, today's world is a lot more peaceful, even (or especially) if you only look at Europe. There hasn't been a general war in Europe since 1945.
    67 years is a rather short period of peace over the course of recorded history don't you think? I do believe it has happened before countless times. Especially back when everyone's "world" was a lot smaller. But like I've said, "Western peace" shouldn't and doesn't amount to "world peace" no matter how much we'd all like to believe that we're the center of the universe.

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 01:17 AM ----------

Yes it is. As violent as the world still seems, this is the most peaceful it has ever been.

There's nothing peaceful about 1946.
    Over the past few decades, we have extremely effectively been able to "re-route" war to..."less civilized" regions of the world to feel at peace here at "home".

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 01:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Champxoxo View Post
    No, I think thinks were pretty calm at the start of TBC, ever since Wrathgate there's been big tensions.
    I agree. The Horde and Alliance really hit it off after that.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2012-12-29 at 01:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by ripslyme View Post
    peaceful ? where ? in front of your door ? maybe

take a look at the WORLD ... there is no such thing as peace.

Humans are stupid will never Change
    yes looking at the world. On a LARGE scale MOSt people live peaceful and non eventful lives. All the wars, and violence effect a very small percent of the world's population. Threads like this are full of pessimism and self loathing.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Well in antiquity fighting went at a lot slower pace since transportation was slow. Fighting mostly occurred during the summer while crops were growing and people would go home during the fall/winter. With the exception of a few wars fighting was very small scale whereas in the 20th century the whole world was at war twice for over about a decade combined with close calls related to total nuclear war. Compared to antiquity, war is a lot more deadly. I would say that ancient times were generally more peaceful than now because fighting was intermittent with periods of peace even during wars.

10+ Year Old Account
    No more than any other era.

The West isn't involved in any major offenses, but we're involved in a ton of minor conflicts.

And the rest of the world, wherever the threat of nuclear annihilation doesn't exist is still pretty fucked up.

It's pretty sad the only reason we're civil is because we're pointing nukes at each other.
    Putin khuliyo