Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1
    Warchief TheDangerZone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burt Reynolds' stache
    Posts
    2,198

    Membership to the Kirin Tor Offensive

    Now that the Kirin Tor, for better or worse, is going to the offensive, will it try to bolster its numbers with magi from the other alliance races besides human, gnomes and high elves? Draenei and night elves seem like good choices, since both races have a long story with the arcane. Will we see those races taking more prominent roles now that the Kirin tor is alliance exclusive, thus needing to fill positions vacated by the exiled Sunreavers?

    It would be great to see what advances the new night elven mages have made in their studies, and how the draenei can contribute to the arcane knowledge of the organization.

  2. #2
    Titan Nerraw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,507
    Depending on how things move along during the rest of the expansion, I could definitely see the night elves willing to learn the arcane arts starting to take a role in the Kirin Tor. But in the immediate future I don't think the Silver Covenant is gonna let a whole lot of "outsiders" in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I only saw a few minutes of it but it looked slicker than a lubed up olympic swimmer fleeing from a shark.

  3. #3
    Over 9000! Combatbulter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hanseatic City of Lübeck
    Posts
    9,133
    Quote Originally Posted by Amonra View Post
    Now that the Kirin Tor, for better or worse, is going to the offensive, will it try to bolster its numbers with magi from the other alliance races besides human, gnomes and high elves? Draenei and night elves seem like good choices, since both races have a long story with the arcane. Will we see those races taking more prominent roles now that the Kirin tor is alliance exclusive, thus needing to fill positions vacated by the exiled Sunreavers?

    It would be great to see what advances the new night elven mages have made in their studies, and how the draenei can contribute to the arcane knowledge of the organization.
    It is possible, but who knows, if the other magi are actually willing to hand over their independence to the Kirin Tor. I have a hard time seeing the tight knit bunch of the Shen'dralar joining the kirin Tor anytime soon for example, they always did their own thing, with methods which the Kirin Tor would never agree with.
    He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Depending on how things move along during the rest of the expansion, I could definitely see the night elves willing to learn the arcane arts starting to take a role in the Kirin Tor. But in the immediate future I don't think the Silver Covenant is gonna let a whole lot of "outsiders" in.
    The Silver Covenant are not xenophobic for the sake of xenophobic. They didn't want the Blood Elves in because they felt the Kirin Tor should be in service of the Alliance, and not allow Horde members in. There is no reason I know of they would object to Kaldorei or Draenei members. And I see no reason that members of those races would not want to share their knowledge and experience with the Kirin Tor.

  5. #5
    I doubt there will be Night Elven magi, though there should be. Draenei are supposed to be some of the most powerful magi in the WoW universe, but I've yet to see one in the Kirin Tor even in Wrath; perhaps they too, don't see eye to eye with human spellcasting? The "position" filled by the Sunreavers was one of Horde representation to the once neutral faction. It doesn't need to be filled again.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    I doubt there will be Night Elven magi, though there should be. Draenei are supposed to be some of the most powerful magi in the WoW universe, but I've yet to see one in the Kirin Tor even in Wrath; perhaps they too, don't see eye to eye with human spellcasting? The "position" filled by the Sunreavers was one of Horde representation to the once neutral faction. It doesn't need to be filled again.
    Considering that 3.3, or at least I think that was the patch, had a Highbourne emmisary put in Dalaran I wouldn't be surprised if some of them joined.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    Considering that 3.3, or at least I think that was the patch, had a Highbourne emmisary put in Dalaran I wouldn't be surprised if some of them joined.
    The Kirin Tor played mediator iirc, to help the Highborne get an audience with Tyrande and not be instantly executed the moment they set foot in Darnassus.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    The Kirin Tor played mediator iirc, to help the Highborne get an audience with Tyrande and not be instantly executed the moment they set foot in Darnassus.
    I don't remember that part, but could have overlooked it. Either way, that shows a level of cooperation between the two groups, and I see no reason why some of them wouldn't seek to join the Kirin Tor.

  9. #9
    Titan Nerraw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    The Silver Covenant are not xenophobic for the sake of xenophobic. They didn't want the Blood Elves in because they felt the Kirin Tor should be in service of the Alliance, and not allow Horde members in. There is no reason I know of they would object to Kaldorei or Draenei members. And I see no reason that members of those races would not want to share their knowledge and experience with the Kirin Tor.
    Maybe not, however considering the recent breach of trust between them and the Sunreavers I wouldn't be surprised if they were a lot more hesitant about letting more people in. The kal'dorei and the quel'dorei haven't exactly seen eye-to-eye in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I only saw a few minutes of it but it looked slicker than a lubed up olympic swimmer fleeing from a shark.

  10. #10
    I'm surprised by the lack of Draenei in the Kirin Tor, they're supposed to be awesome when it comes to magic. Didn't Archimonde mock the Kirin Tor for saying they built their city on "stolen knowledge" knowledge that the Eredar (pre-legion) had been using for millennia?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Maybe not, however considering the recent breach of trust between them and the Sunreavers I wouldn't be surprised if they were a lot more hesitant about letting more people in. The kal'dorei and the quel'dorei haven't exactly seen eye-to-eye in the past.
    And that mistrust was based on the fact they were Horde, diverting the Kirin Tor from the Alliance. I see absolutely no reason why they would hate on other Alliance races trying to get in.

  12. #12
    The Insane Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    17,977
    The kirin tor struck against the sunreavers and so the blood elves. There should not be anymore recruits race wish to there faction unless the blood elves can balance that out with recruiting there own, and by that point the whole thing dissolves into a pathetic playground event of 'my play army is better then your play army!'

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    The kirin tor struck against the sunreavers and so the blood elves. There should not be anymore recruits race wish to there faction unless the blood elves can balance that out with recruiting there own, and by that point the whole thing dissolves into a pathetic playground event of 'my play army is better then your play army!'
    Am I misunderstanding here or is your argument 'no nelves and draenei shouldn't join the kirin tor because the Horde group just has belves and that wouldn't be fair?" Because I don't find that to be a compelling arguement at all, especially considering Silvermoon has rangers, blood knights and spellbreakers etc at its disposal.

    It's a little late to try and make things even between both factions, and the two groups are already set for a hateful, bloody rivalry after 5.1 anyway.
    Last edited by Malzra; 2012-12-23 at 03:41 PM.

  14. #14
    I would honestly love to see more than just Humans, Gnomes, and High Elves. A few Draenei, Worgen, Dwarves, and possibly even Pandaren would be nice.

    As for the Sunreavers: Sunreavers = Silver Covenant. Horde doesn't have a "faction" devoted specifically to mages, like the Alliance has. The Sunreavers would have to create a whole new group to be similar to the Kirin Tor. And with Garrosh, I don't see that happening. Maybe after we kill that "touched in the head" deformed orc, the Horde might create something similar. But I doubt it.

  15. #15
    I could MAYBE see Garrosh doing that...if he put an orc mage in charge. And considering orcs haven't had mages for all that long, that wouldn't end well. The blodo elves would probably refuse to join it. The question would be, would the Sunreavers be willing to open up the doors to other races?

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    I could MAYBE see Garrosh doing that...if he put an orc mage in charge. And considering orcs haven't had mages for all that long, that wouldn't end well. The blodo elves would probably refuse to join it. The question would be, would the Sunreavers be willing to open up the doors to other races?
    When it comes to mages and any matter with the arcane The Horde kind of sucks. The blood elves and the forsaken seem to be the only ones who know what they're doing when it comes to magic. Orc spellcasters are more often than not Warlocks and Trolls are more shamanistic with voodoo and bits of druidism here and there. Tauren just don't do it full stop, Goblins more into their technology and Pandaren well they're not really known for magic.

    Putting the two head to head in a war of magic would just be disastrous, the blood elves we need more than the sunreavers to topple the Kirin Tor and the Horde's methods of war differ from that of the blood elves. If the sunreavers were willing to employ darker magics then the orcs could help as well as Trolls.

  17. #17
    Titan Nerraw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    And that mistrust was based on the fact they were Horde, diverting the Kirin Tor from the Alliance. I see absolutely no reason why they would hate on other Alliance races trying to get in.
    You forget, the night elves were the ones to abolish the high elves from Kalimdor and cut all ties to their brethren. If left alone, resentment can grow a lot over time. Especially 7.300 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I only saw a few minutes of it but it looked slicker than a lubed up olympic swimmer fleeing from a shark.

  18. #18
    Old God Nindoriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    10,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    The kirin tor struck against the sunreavers and so the blood elves. There should not be anymore recruits race wish to there faction unless the blood elves can balance that out with recruiting there own, and by that point the whole thing dissolves into a pathetic playground event of 'my play army is better then your play army!'
    You know it's really up to them what races they include in their group. Kirin Tor was never exclusive to one race (I assume). It's up to the Sunreavers to let other races in if they feel they're at a disadvantage.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    You forget, the night elves were the ones to abolish the high elves from Kalimdor and cut all ties to their brethren. If left alone, resentment can grow a lot over time. Especially 7.300 years.
    Even if you're right though, and they would try and block the night elves from joining the kirin tor, if the SC couldn't keep Rhonin from bringing in HORDE to the city, do you really think they'll be able to block other Alliance races from joining even if they're not happy about it?

    Afterall, Vereesa isn't on the Council, or even a part of the Kirin Tor itself so far as I know. Unlike the Sunreavers who were mages, my understanding is most of the Covenant are rangers.

  20. #20
    I am Murloc! Scummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,222
    I don't think seeing a Worgen Mage would be all that bad considering how at the end of the day it's just a Human underneath all that hair . Also I like seeing two Human Kingdoms intermingle.
    I'm not sure about Draenei.
    I would definitely like to see some Highborne though.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-23 at 05:20 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    Because I don't find that to be a compelling arguement at all, especially considering Silvermoon has rangers, blood knights and spellbreakers etc at its disposal.
    I really wouldn't worry about seeing Spellbreakers ever. There's apparently only one squad of them left, which by modern standards means roughly 10-20 which isn't a lot at all. Also they refuse to teach anybody.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •