Thread: New iMac 27"

New iMac 27"

Looking to get the new iMac with the 27" display with the i5 and the 680 or 670. Wichever is the best option when customizing :-) now what I'm wondering is how this will work for wow mists of pandaria? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bombaday View Post
    Looking to get the new iMac with the 27" display with the i5 and the 680 or 670. Wichever is the best option when customizing :-) now what I'm wondering is how this will work for wow mists of pandaria? Thanks
    Is there a specific reason it has to be a mac?
    It will work fine, for just WoW it is more than enough.

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD096LL/A? Link....and wife hates my laptop and wants to get an iMac so if I can Get a new outer in the process why not lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Waste of money, HO!

Seriously, for $2k you could really get more then a GTX-m series in a PC.

But if you really want this Mac the 670 should be fine, don't expect much though. You'll still get low FPS in packed areas and raids on ultra (10m shouldn't be too bad).

Well all I do is bgs, dailies, and arenas. I don't raid so don't care how it performs in raids

25 mans may be a little meh, but turn down certain graphics and you'll be fine. I have a 19 inch macbook pro my work gave me, I run WoW on it with medium-high settings without issue.. and thats the laptop version. I won't get into a mac/pc argument. If you want a mac, you're going to get one regardless.

My wife really wants it and I don care either way as long as I can play wow

Yes, it will be able to run WoW. I have a 2 year old iMac 27 that runs it. I do LFR, 10N, PvP, etc. You'll be fine.

Deleted
    makes me still wonder if you or your wife got an actual need for a imac or just want it because it is shiny/new/apple?
    because you can achieve something similar/better for +-$1500. (korean ips screen + custom rig that will have better performance for sure compared to the laptop gpu's in the imac)

The 680mx in the top-end model is between the desktop GTX 660ti and GTX 670 cards as far as performance goes. It will surely have absolutely no problems with WoW on 1440p. Or with any other game, for that matter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    The 680mx in the top-end model is between the desktop GTX 660ti and GTX 670 cards as far as performance goes. It will surely have absolutely no problems with WoW on 1440p. Or with any other game, for that matter.
    which for the price is questionable at best.
    no point in getting a desktop with gpu parts, overspending for inferior hardware. (mobile parts in a desktop is pretty much a paradox)
    only part of it that i could see work is the convenience is the all in one solution it provides. (which again is questionable because rig building is fun for most people )

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    which for the price is questionable at best.
    no point in getting a desktop with gpu parts, overspending for inferior hardware. (mobile parts in a desktop is pretty much a paradox)
    only part of it that i could see work is the convenience is the all in one solution it provides. (which again is questionable because rig building is fun for most people )
    For you.
    Not everyone views the computer in the same way you do. I don't find it questionable for the price at all. Making it fit a solution that would work in a small enclosure with low enough TDP values but with high enough of a performance for that price is impressive, considering the RnD going into it, compared to how few will be buying it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    For you.
    Not everyone views the computer in the same way you do. I don't find it questionable for the price at all. Making it fit a solution that would work in a small enclosure with low enough TDP values but with high enough of a performance for that price is impressive, considering the RnD going into it, compared to how few will be buying it.
    perhaps just me with quite a detest for AIO solutions.
    however when talking about customizing a desktop how is it possible to include an imac?
    you pay more and get less. (albeit all in one , but performance goes down the drain, oc'ing and lets not forget it performs as a laptop in regards to gaming)
    only very few objective reasons to get an imac. (exclusive software due to work being primary one)
    most people are just after having something "apple" which isn't a bad thing persé, but when gaming comes into the equation the option of imac goes right out the window from any performance PoV.
    there are perhaps no better AIO solutions out there at the moment but why would there be? afterall it is a very niché market segment of people who care less about money/performance and more about having everything at once.
    because at the end of the day how much effort goes into having a seperate monitor with a case connected via some cables? (which would also provide allot more options in regards to parts/performance/etc)

finally for the R&D part yes that is true however the trade-off for what is lost in order to achieve said size/TDP values and alike for the average consumer , not worth it.
    In the end an imac is nothing more but a laptop in a desktop/monitor disguise.

again this is highly opinion based (with a healthy dose of common sense)
    i merely ask the mind to look beyond the shiny parts of apple , check benchmarks and form an opinion as an individual and not some advertisement parrot which most people are.(just a general statement, not refering to anyone on the forums)

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't upgrade macs. Not without having a shit ton of technical knowledge anyway. That alone should be enough to stay away from a Mac. As for performance of said mac, it may run MoP great. But having a computer crammed into the space of your monitor is not going to let you continue to see performance in more demanding games and tasks. And if you're asking about how it will run with MoP, and giving specs, you're obviously concerned with what it will do for games. A PC will always give you more performance for the price. Always. a $2000 iMac will give you something that will be nice to play games on. But a $2000 PC will laugh at those games high settings.

And if your wife absolutely can't live without a mac, why not get her the base model and get yourself a decent pc? You'll end up spending the same. And she probably just needs something that will let her watch videos on the internet.
    Last edited by Seezer; 2012-12-26 at 04:42 AM.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

With $2k on a apple can't you make a 690 build with that money?

Yeah I would pick my own parts out on a budget like that.
    i7 3770k @ 4.3 GHz | Cool Master Evo Push/Pull | Asrock z77 Extreme 4 | GTX 680 4GB SLI | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Blue 1TB | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB| Seasonic X850W | Thermaltake Element V Black Edition| CrossOver 27Q 2560x1440 S-IPS 27" Monitor | Razer DeathStalker |Naga MMO Champion |Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit