Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    I can only say that you get the paperwork you should've received when you first rented the T.V's to see where you stand legally. If you don't have it then request it again. If they refuse to provide it then see a lawyer. Any answer you get here will be pretty useless because key facts (like the policy of the rental company, what you agreed to, etc) aren't in the OP.
    I'm pretty sure the contract didn't include, "If you fail to return our property you agree to go to jail." Nor would police enforce such a contract if it did.

The only way they would know you did something "wrong" is if you tell them. Don't. It isn't a criminal matter, and it isn't a felony in any way, shape, or form.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    So bascially what your saying is that it should be okay to sell something that you don't own, and share loopholes in how to skirt the contract?

Heres how i see it.

You entered into a contract knowingly.

You agreed to pay X$ a month for Y items that belonged to someone else.

You sold Y that did not belong to you.

You are a thief.

The reasons you sold the items are irrelevant. They were not yours to sell.

Also anias....your analogy is incorrect.

Ultimately the BANK owns the car untill you have paid back the loan and the title is transfered. You do not have the right to sell the car to anyone.

Ive seen someone do this..and....go to jail. Of course he was stupid and did that while owing 18k on a car without making a single payment.

Either way, id get a lawyer.

Actually its called financing. The way it works is the tv's are paid for upfront by rent a center. They dont techincally own them but their contract might have a stipulation to claim them as colateral if payments are not made.

Financing is the upfront payment for somthing and then you make payments to the person who paid it up front.

All this is covered under the FDCPA (Fair debt collection practices act)

All OP has to do is give a written cease and desist notice and they cant talk to him again. They can only file charges. They cant call him or anyone he knows go to his house nothing.

It will mark against his credit but he can fix that with a lawyer when it is shown they refuse payment.

(added) financing came into play because of the possession laws. It became a work around. You now OWN the item but it is considered collateral. You can still sell it as yours you do own it even if you are making payments on it

Quote Originally Posted by Keilith View Post
    Actually its called financing. The way it works is the tv's are paid for upfront by rent a center. They dont techincally own them but their contract might have a stipulation to claim them as colateral if payments are not made.

Financing is the upfront payment for somthing and then you make payments to the person who paid it up front.

All this is covered under the FDCPA (Fair debt collection practices act)

All OP has to do is give a written cease and desist notice and they cant talk to him again. They can only file charges. They cant call him or anyone he knows go to his house nothing.

It will mark against his credit but he can fix that with a lawyer when it is shown they refuse payment.

(added) financing came into play because of the possession laws. It became a work around. You now OWN the item but it is considered collateral. You can still sell it as yours you do own it even if you are making payments on it
    I dont want to be arrested though, im going to call them today and offer to get caught up or work something out financially, i tried it already on xmas eve and they refused money. Im just nervous about getting arrested and dealing with a felony. I want to pay them, they just want the tvs at this point i guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty823j View Post
    I dont want to be arrested though, im going to call them today and offer to get caught up or work something out financially, i tried it already on xmas eve and they refused money. Im just nervous about getting arrested and dealing with a felony. I want to pay them, they just want the tvs at this point i guess.
    Jesus christ, man. How many times we gotta tell you? Talk to a goddamned lawyer! Any lawyer worth shit will give you a free consultation if your case sounds like something he or she'd be interested in taking.

You are getting played by Rent-A-Center because they know how to manipulate people like you. Talk to a lawyer, get educated on your rights and your options, and tell Rent-A-Center to suck a fat one, because they're straight up lying to you.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

half of you guys are assholes. if you have nothing constructive to say, just dont post. he is aware it was stupid. sometimes life puts you in a corner. we do not know the surrounding circumstances. only a death of an immediate family member, and let me say, I hope you guys hold it together as well as you act on here... because it is not a pleasant thing to go through.

Rent the TVs from another company.

Give the original company those TVs.

If the other company asks for their TVs back some time down the line repeat the process.

You can do this for ever.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anias View Post
    First off step back and take a deep breath. Ok now that you are calmed down some, lets look at what has happened. You rented 2 tvs from a rent-to-own center. The premise of that is that you make payments until you pay the set amount and then you own the tvs. Use this as an example. John goes to the car lot to buy a car. John has to pay on the car for four years. After two years John understands that he can not make the payment anymore. So John sells the car to Bob. Bob pays John the amount that is still owed for the car. John then goes to the bank and says here is the money I owe you for the car. The bank CAN'T then say no we don't want your money, we want the car. Also here is something else i found that may make you feel better:

http://rent-a-center.pissedconsumer....018203158.html
    i worked for rent a center and i know first hand of their bullying scare tactics and over all shiester buisness practices. let me put your mind to ease if you are being harrassed for non payment of your items
    1) if you fail to pay they can not come to your home and demand payment.
    2)they can not enter your home and seize the items.
    3)they can not wait outside your residance to confront you about payment.
    4)they can not call your referances and enquire about you for non payment
    5) you are not required to give them the items back.
    6)they must stay away from you and your home and freinds. if they want the items back by law they are to leave you alone and file a small claims action for the items. this process can take up to 6 months or more. in the mean time the items depriciate in value. you do not have to attend the small claims hearing. what will happen is the judge will dissmiss their case against you and inform them that like a credit card this is a credit issue and they need to put it against your credit rateing. if they are doing any of the things i mentioned in 1-5 you can call the police and tell them they are harrasing you and/or scareing you your family and freinds. also, BIG NO NO RENT A CENTER CAN NOT CALL YOUR WORK FOR YOUR NON PAYMENT!
    That sounds stupid, so skipping 1-5 and just arguing about number 6...why wouldn't the companies get anything for the item they rented out?

As for OP I will say like many others, why in the world did you sell the items you didn't own to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    That sounds stupid, so skipping 1-5 and just arguing about number 6...why wouldn't the companies get anything for the item they rented out?

As for OP I will say like many others, why in the world did you sell the items you didn't own to begin with?

I didnt sell them, i smashed them and my computer because of a nervous breakdown with all that have happened...Im still offering to pay and get caught up, but they wont let me

Deleted
    I didnt sell them, i smashed them and my computer because of a nervous breakdown with all that have happened...Im still offering to pay and get caught up, but they wont let me
    Funny that you edited your original post only today to say you smashed them, before you said you sold them. Somebody is a liar as well as a thief.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post19565542

Heres the original quote.

If they refused payment then they are also in deep shit as they cannot refuse ANY amount of payment. Hell I taped a penny to a collection letter from way back when i was stupid and sent it back and they accepted it and sent me a receipt for my penny I sent them.

If you sold them YOU are in deep shit as they are not your property UNTIL you pay them off completely.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    If that was me I would have faked a burglary and filed a police report, but since you havent done that its too late now. Time to pay for your crimes.
    God I hope no one ever solicits your advice.

Your original post said you sold two tv's worth $1500 each to pay for your mother's burial services. Now, you've edited your post to say you smashed two tv's worth $1200 each in a fit of rage over your mother's death and your wife being ill. So which is it, OP?

Regardless, if you sold these tv's (which I'm certain you did) in a private sale and accepted cash you won't likely see felony charges unless you blab to the wrong people. However, if you pawned these televisions be prepared for a felony indictment down the pike. Law enforcement have access to a database that pawn shops use to track transactions. The serial numbers on those televisions would be logged. Then, if Rent-A-Center files a criminal complaint all it takes is for a detective to check those serials in that database and BOOM, there's your name/address/etc. Bad news.

It IS a crime to sell someone else's property. You did not own them. Also, the person(s) you sold them to could face felony Receiving Stolen Property charges if you squeal. I hope you didn't tell RAC you sold them. Your life's about to get more interesting. Good luck OP

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    You really aren't thinking, are you? Why the hell would he need to admit to his crime in order to use the law to defend himself threats and calls?

Ignorance of case law.
    Hate to break it to you, torts arent criminal...

10+ Year Old Account
    The original story has changed, I think we all know what's being done here. I am ashamed to have fallen for it.
    Let's make America GREAT again. Trump 2016.

The community whined and bitched and cried, they stamped their little feet and demanded faster expansion releases. They don't get to complain now that expansions are shorter.

Talk to a lawyer, you don't want to lie to them and get caught like you probably did here. You said you sold them, then you said you smashed them. Seriously, talk to a lawyer and don't lie to them. That is worse.

Deleted
    How about you cut the bullshit, everyone in the thread knows you edited your post quite a bit, changed from sold to smashed etc, not to mention sudden appearance of ill wife.
    Stop selling rented equipment to support whatever bad habit it is that you're trying to cover up with lies, whether it's drugs (my guess) or gambling or whatever.

You in the USA? If so, first get a lawyer, then read this

http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fdcpa/fdcpact.shtm

Edit: And yeah, if you actually sold them you're pretty much right and proper fucked.

Don't do that.

The RAC style business model really should be illegal. It shamelessly preys on people who generally don't have much money to begin with, nor the understanding of how money works that can only come from having it.

OP: Get a lawyer asap. The system will screw you if you don't.
    What the world needs is Lesshammad.

OP must be trolling, and all you self-righteous 'people' are ridiculous.

Once again, lawyers never do anything except screw you over. You'll almost certainly be worse off after giving one money than you were after committing a crime you haven't been caught for. (and one you can't be caught for)
    Last edited by Daerio; 2012-12-26 at 09:18 PM.

So, first they were worth $1500 a piece and sold, now they were $1200 a piece and smashed.

I think we're done here.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.