Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

What is people's problem with On-Disc DLC?

So apparently Mortal Kombat Ten has On-Disc Downloadable Content.
    This seems to be newsworthy according to the Internet. Example:
    http://gamingbolt.com/mortal-kombat-...-dlc-confirmed

I have always wondered why people get mad at that in the context that this is an accepted practice in areas outside of DLC.

As some of you may be World of Warcraft players, surely you know that everone downloads the same files for the game. Then people can play a the part of the content they paid for (up to LV20 if nothing, up to LV90 if they purchased the starter Edition, up to the maximum Level if they purchased all Expansions) and for as long as they paid.

I also remember purchasing an Operating System back in the days where DLC had not been a thing.

There was the Windows Vista DVD with all Versions, and you could install the one which Key you paid for: Trial, Professional, or Ultimate.

Why is it not the same for Video Games? You install Mortal Kombat Ten and then either you paid for the game + the easy Fataliteis DLC then you have access to both or you paid just for the game, then you also have access to only that.

If the trend of Blackmouthing On-Disc DLC continues, then at worst Developers are going to spend development time seperating their Game for the extra-pay bits to be downloaded later instead of developing content. Also the Download Process takes time for players and stresses Servers, thereby increasing the costs.
    Last edited by Speshil; 2015-04-18 at 08:49 AM.
    Capitalism, Ho!

Quote Originally Posted by Speshil View Post

I have always wondered why people get mad at that in the context that this is an accepted practice in areas outside of DLC.

As some of you may be World of Warcraft players, surely you know that everone downloads the same files for the game. Then people can play a the part of the content they paid for (up to LV20 if nothing, up to LV90 if they purchased the starter Edition, up to the maximum Level if they purchased all Expansions) and for as long as they paid.

I also remember purchasing an Operating System back in the days where DLC had not been a thing.

There was the Windows Vista DVD with all Versions, and you could install the one which Key you paid for: Trial, Professional, or Ultimate for Example.

Why is it not the same for Video Games? You install Mortal Kombat Ten and then either you paid for the game + the easy Fataliteis DLC then you have access to both or you paid just for the game, then you also have access to only that.

If the trend of Blackmouthing On-Disc DLC continues, then at worst Developers are going to spend development time seperating their Game for the extra-pay bits to be downloaded later instead of developing content. Also the Download Process takes time for players and stresses Servers, thereby increasing the costs.

Well it's "DLC" if it's on the disc why is it not part of the core game?...it's shit like that that makes it a blatantly obvious cash grab

the real question is why are you defending blatant cash grabs and greedy practices by corporations? i will never support games that have on disc dlc. if i have to get it i will acquire it used from either amazon or gamestop or ebay or not at all.

what do you mean "spend time seperating the dlc parts from the main game"

you can make a game compatible with dlc without putting that dlc on the disk.

super smash bros both 3ds and wiiu version had an dlc shop built into the game you couldnt access until a patch activated it despite no dlc currently being available.

not to mention dlc shouldnt be something a company should worry about until after a game is complete. the only dlc games should have at launch are vanity dlc (artists are typically the first people done in game design, and having them do dlc instead of sitting on their arses all day once the art is done actually saves jobs instead of having to fire all the artists in a buisness where job security is already pretty low)

you cant compare on disk dlc to things like wow, of course someone with a trial version isnt gonna have access to the same content, neither will someone who hasnt bought the expansion. thats not on disk dlc thats just how mmos and online games work.

alot of games with dlc will patch in the data for the dlc into the base game once its out as well even if you havent bought it yet in order to make it compatible with people using the dlc.

again for example, people who havent gotten mewtwo yet on smash bros have the data for mewtwo in their game once they downloaded the latest patch, had they not had this data theyd be unable to play against other players who do have mewtwo
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

A game having unlock-able content on the disc from day one is not a problem. Play the game, beat the requirements and unlock a character/mod/skin for even more play, that is fine and dandy as it adds re playability.

If however those items are on the disc but to use them you have to pay £ to unlock each one, that is bullshit.

If it's on the disc, it's not DLC.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    the real question is why are you defending blatant cash grabs and greedy practices by corporations? i will never support games that have on disc dlc. if i have to get it i will acquire it used from either amazon or gamestop or ebay or not at all.

I merely address the business model in general, selling just parts of what are on the disc. Would MK10 Easy Fatalities DLC be less of a Cash Crab if the Developers came up with it later and had made it actually downloadable instead of putting it on the disc?

There is also the issue of paying for something you don't need. For Example, if you can live without the extra Dead Space costumes or are capable of doing Fatalities the hard way, then it should feel good to you that you do not have to pay for them, in the same way that only people who have 128 Gigabyte RAM paid for the 64Bit Windows Vista Ultimate Versions.
    Us normal Plebeians could get by with the cheaper Home Praemimnium Version.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...4-bit_versions

Mein other issue with condening On-Disc DLC which was not mentioned in the Opener to not stress certain people's attention spans, is the following:

Without investigative capabilities or even rights, we have hardly a way to check when exactly the content available for download was actually developed.

How could we even distinguish
    Good Guy Game Developer who spends 80% of their resources developing the core game, publishes it, then uses the other resources for DLC development and publishes the DLC two months later.

versus

Evil Game Developer who spends 100% of their resources developing the game as well as the DLC, publishes 80% of the game. Then publishes the other 20% as DLC two months later.
    Capitalism, Ho!

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    If it's on the disc, it's not DLC.
    But if it's on the disc and is locked away by paywalls and arbitrary release dates, it's DLC. SFxT is a great and horrible example.

If it's developed before the game's done it should be part of the game, that's the purist way of looking at it. I understand that artists and some other departments can't contribute during those last few months of development, but this is different.

Imagine someone bakes you a a pie, and charges you $10 for it. Then, when you sit down and take it out of the box, there's a slice, one of the ten slices, plastic wrapped, and it says "pay $2.99 for this slice." Well, fuck, I just bought the whole damn pie for $10. Shouldn't I get the whole thing?

Just feels gross. Paying $2.99 AFTER you eat all 10 of the slices of pie you paid for, that's fair. If the baker finished the pie before you showed up to buy it and they're working on smaller pies for $5 each, I think that's fair too. But then, how do you know that they were done? How do you know that he didn't just take some of the filling from the $10 pie to make the $5 pie? Sometimes it's easy to tell, other times, not so much.

It's just a smelly practice that'll only become less severe and prevalent once it reaches its apex of shitocity and the average gamer says "No, I don't want on disc/day one DLC anymore."

All you can really do is vote with your wallet until the majority makes their decisions.
    Last edited by MonsieuRoberts; 2015-04-18 at 09:21 AM.

"In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything."
    Old Warrior - My Gaming Setup - New Warrior

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    In short, if you had time to put it on disc, it was ready before launch, therefor, it serves no other purpose than just trying to make even more money after the 60$ initial price. Which is a huge dick move
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

If they had enough resources and time to make it and put on the disc with the original game - they should have made it part of the game. Anything else is a greedy way to take money. A very shitty way. Remember the backlash EA and BioWare got for their day-one DLC in Mass Effect 3? And that was even worse because it has an impact on the story and lore.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    The new x-pac "Whiners of Draenor"

If it's on the disc then it was put there at the same time as disc, therefor they were released together.
    Last edited by Felfury; 2015-04-18 at 09:37 AM.
    One cannot simply quit wow his way into Mordor.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    If they had enough resources and time to make it and put on the disc with the original game - they should have made it part of the game. Anything else is a greedy way to take money. A very shitty way. Remember the backlash EA and BioWare got for their day-one DLC in Mass Effect 3? And that was even worse because it has an impact on the story and lore.

That kind of shit is the worst. Taking content that is integral to the story of an RPG, integral to perfect saves and correct decisions that have far reaching consequences, and slapping an extra price tag on it...makes my blood boil!

Quote Originally Posted by Darksoldierr View Post
    In short, if you had time to put it on disc, it was ready before launch, therefor, it serves no other purpose than just trying to make even more money after the 60$ initial price. Which is a huge dick move
    That's basically the complaint people have. The DLC being physically on the disc isn't important, it's what it implies that's important. Every developer will obviously claim that it wasn't a part of standard development and that it was made in post or through a different stream, but the consumer has no way of knowing if that's true, and there's no ramifications for the dev/publisher if it's not. It makes sense that people are wary of a business practice that could possibly stand for giving them less for more.

It's no secret that some developers and publishers make a deliberate effort to wring as much money from a single game purchase as possible, so it makes sense that consumers should push as hard as possible in the opposite direction. And something like this -

- is, quite frankly, sheepy apologist bullshit that involves going out of your way to justify a practice that is more likely to mean bad things for you than good.

Quote Originally Posted by Eats Compost View Post
    That's basically the complaint people have. The DLC being physically on the disc isn't important, it's what it implies that's important. Every developer will obviously claim that it wasn't a part of standard development and that it was made in post or through a different stream, but the consumer has no way of knowing if that's true, and there's no ramifications for the dev/publisher if it's not. It makes sense that people are wary of a business practice that could possibly stand for giving them less for more.

It's no secret that some developers and publishers make a deliberate effort to wring as much money from a single game purchase as possible, so it makes sense that consumers should push as hard as possible in the opposite direction. And something like this -

- is, quite frankly, sheepy apologist bullshit that involves going out of your way to justify a practice that is more likely to mean bad things for you than good.
    Sometimes I wonder what purpose devil's advocate serves in one sided discussions like these. "No, but guys, I like spending more for less, here's why."

I mean its not "Downloadable content' if its on the disc. I mean, its flat out not downloaded content. Its on the disc. They clearly intended it to be a part of the game.
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    Sometimes I wonder what purpose devil's advocate serves in one sided discussions like these. "No, but guys, I like spending more for less, here's why."
    We may never know.

There was the Windows Vista DVD with all Versions, and you could install the one which Key you paid for: Trial, Professional, or Ultimate.

/facepalm. Firstly how is it downloadable content if you already have it? What you dummies pay extra for is a code variable to be switched from false to truein the game files which then allows the game data to read the "DLC".

Day one DLC is content that they have finished and should be in the game but they have locked it away from you in the code unless you pay for it which is basically a greedy but incredibly genius way for developers to make a lot of money off of idiots who succumb to hype.

For WoW it's different you are paying extra to use their servers, have support available to you and the money they gain from it help fund more further development.
    Last edited by MaraStarfury; 2015-04-18 at 09:43 AM.

I mean in the example you use, MKX....the game is 59.99. The special edition is 89.99...and their is MORE DLC after you buy the special edition. That is just flat out insane.
    You're a towel.

Day one DLC is the worst thing for gaming. Now you half to pay another 60 dollars over the money you just spent on the game disc and soon that so called 60 dollar game becomes a 150 dollar game. DLC is getting out of hand put out all the damn game or dont even bother making it.
    Signature And Avatar Courtesy Of Elyssia

Because it means they removed actual content off the main game, and now try to sell it to you as DLC?

That people support this greedy and disgusting practice is pretty amazing, it`s like they don`t care about being assfucked by the publishers who do this.