Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by razorback07 View Post
    The problem isn't that you can't get things, but they did nothing to control the econemy. I don't consider myself a hardcore player in the slighest, I play once/twice a month when bored and want to explore, but ive seen weapons sell for 500kk (500 million) which for a normal player to achieve is next to impossible without them buying gold.

But from my experience from aion (only level 30) is those potions are extremely overpowered and can not be gained ingame. I think when people refer to the pvp been dead, it's relating to those potions.
    The economy has always been nuts in the game. It's unfortunate, but there is pretty rampant inflation with no good kinah(? I forget the name of the currency) sinks to bleed money out.

What potions are you talking about though? Every potion I've seen can be purchased/acquired in-game with a bit of cash or some effort. Potions like the speed boost have always been necessary for PvP though, I can't remember a time when the person I was fighting in the Abyss (or who came through one of the portals) didn't have that on. I don't like the design of making them so necessary, but it's been in since well before there was a cash shop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    What potions are you talking about though? Every potion I've seen can be purchased/acquired in-game with a bit of cash or some effort. Potions like the speed boost have always been necessary for PvP though, I can't remember a time when the person I was fighting in the Abyss (or who came through one of the portals) didn't have that on. I don't like the design of making them so necessary, but it's been in since well before there was a cash shop.
    Sorry my misinformation, Was told when starting the game that I would have to drop a ton of money on potions at high level because the only way to get them was the CS, but after i looked around it seems Alchemists can make them.

I would love for someone to tell me how hard the highest level pieces of armour are to get though. Seeing things sell for 250kk-500kk seems an insane amount of money to get, by this I took it that they are extremely rare. It's one of those things which I would love to do, but seems it will rather cost a ton of money and/or time, both of which are limited atm.

Some people still play, it's not a totally dead game yet. A big problem is that EU Aion is a greedy piece of shit now, almost as bad as SWTOR.

Quote Originally Posted by razorback07 View Post
    I would love for someone to tell me how hard the highest level pieces of armour are to get though. Seeing things sell for 250kk-500kk seems an insane amount of money to get, by this I took it that they are extremely rare. It's one of those things which I would love to do, but seems it will rather cost a ton of money and/or time, both of which are limited atm.
    I can't speak to all of it, but it's a bit of a grind. It's not as dressed up as the grinds in WoW, Rift or SWTOR, but it's still some effort to farm the gear and cash to purchase the manastones/potions ect.

As for the obscenely high prices, it's kinda a twofold deal.

1. Prices are pretty banana's. As I mentioned, I don't think there are any effective ways to bleed money out of the economy, so prices continue to rise (there is fluctuation, but the trend is to rise).

2. It uses an Eastern currency system, so they don't have different denominations (copper/silver/gold), so imagine it as if everything were priced using copper in WoW. That's 10k copper for a single gold, and 100 gold is 1 million copper, and 1k gold is 1 billion copper. It's crazy to look out if you use Western currency systems with multiple denominations, but when you put it in context it's not too out of whack. Feel free to correct my math if I'm wrong though, I'm terrible at it -_-

Quote Originally Posted by willowe View Post
    About it being a 'main game,' the only reason it's not mine is the fact that nobody I know/play games with take it seriously. It's a great game, it's just I'm a very social person, and knowing nobody, and being able to talk Aion with nobody IRL kind of sucks. It's also PvP-centric, which isn't horrid for me, but if you want a 'tiered' endgame, Aion doesn't have it.

That said, free game is free. Stop reading my, and other people's opinions on Aion, and make one for yourself!
    This is actually the thing that's held me off from playing Aion and pretty much any other MMO long term except WoW (and I don't even like WoW). No matter how much I enjoy a game at first, I tend to burn myself out being really indecisive about characters and constantly wanting to reroll. The only thing that's ever kept me from that is playing with a couple RL friends, where I *had* to keep a character to be able to level up with them. Since they don't play anything but WoW, and actually don't even play that anymore, I just constantly go from one MMO to the next for a month or maybe two at a time.

I played it at release. I have several characters around level 20-30 and my highest is a level 36 Ranger. Around the mid 30's was a real killer as far as quest content and leveling. I know a lot of people who quit when they reached that point including me.

I understand that the grind is a lot different now but just don't have the time nor the inclination for another mmo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Matheren View Post
    This is actually the thing that's held me off from playing Aion and pretty much any other MMO long term except WoW (and I don't even like WoW). No matter how much I enjoy a game at first, I tend to burn myself out being really indecisive about characters and constantly wanting to reroll. The only thing that's ever kept me from that is playing with a couple RL friends, where I *had* to keep a character to be able to level up with them. Since they don't play anything but WoW, and actually don't even play that anymore, I just constantly go from one MMO to the next for a month or maybe two at a time.
    You should look into the more classless MMORPG's like EvE and the upcoming FFIV Relaunch. I've gravitated more and more to games that dont require a reroll just to try something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    I don't think you've played Rift. Also, to a lot of people Rift looks better. Aion is kind of goofy and trippy looking. Rift is a bit more grounded in reality and has darker environments.
    Yeah I've always called Aion the more surreal, dreamy fantasy look while RIFT has the darker, grittier, more realistic fantasy. Both excellent in their own ways but people tend to prefer one style or the other.

Deleted
    Never played it myself.

The asian style MMOs don't really appeal to me, and have a notorious reputation for being grindfests.

Deleted
    Played Aion when it was new, around the time of ToC in WoW.

I leveled to about 40 and got really tired of how grindy it was, and then stopped playing it.

Coolest thing about it to me I guess, was the (then) stunning graphics and super duper customizable character.

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    You should look into the more classless MMORPG's like EvE and the upcoming FFIV Relaunch. I've gravitated more and more to games that dont require a reroll just to try something different.
    I've played both When I say character I don't mean just the class. I played TSW plenty in beta and release, but I still burnt myself out constantly remaking/restarting different characters, and I could have spent that same time just leveling all those different skills on one. For me it's as much about the image and concept of the character in my head (even though I don't RP) as anything else.

I played for a while, even played the F2P... I just couldn't get into it. The game is gorgeous but the lag kills me and even though the game is alot better it's still way too grindy for my tastes. That said i'm totally over MMO's in general so Aion was never going to be a game I spent heaps of time on anyway

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

Deleted
    Honsetly I dont understand, if its pvp focused why not make it possible to level in pvp?

Aion was the only mmo I have played that I couldn't get to max level. I stopped playing at level 43, the grind was horrible. You did repeatable quests over and over that told you to kill 30 enemies. The grind was horrible and the max level content wasn't worth it. It really is an Asian game. I'm sure they have fixed the grinding but the max level content is probably the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Honsetly I dont understand, if its pvp focused why not make it possible to level in pvp?
    You sorta can. The PvP focus is the Abyss PvPvE zone (basically a set of a few zones with quests/good farming area's and it's PvP enabled with a ton of PvP centered quests. Add stronghold sieges on top of that too for more PvP). It doesn't have BG's like you find in other MMO's though.

Quote Originally Posted by dezzick View Post
    I'm sure they have fixed the grinding but the max level content is probably the same.
    They have fixed it in a big way. Fast-track server with 100% bonus XP through level 50 and hundreds upon hundreds of additional quests. As for max level, it's no different than any other major MMO atm. Grind out dungeons, do raids, farm some dailies in the high level area's, and the added bonus is you get to do sieges, which are actually pretty fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    hah sounds a great way to stop botting but yeh sadly they've ignored the downside for people who aren't bots.
    Back when I played and they added that, I think I entered a captcha once in the entire time I played... and that was when I was mass farming for like a day just to pass time. It was mainly added just to hinder mass farming, and wasn't something a normal player would run into often at all, if not ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    still pretty grindy i think and having to level you gathering profs for certain quests is just slow and boring

I played it for about 2 weeks around 6 months or so after release. I found it grindy and didn't like the art style, while the flying aspect was ok and pvp looked somewhat interesting. I gave it up around level 30 though because I just couldn't face the levelling grind any more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I tried really, really hard to enjoy Aion. But so many things turned me off. Not the least of which was that flying had a time limit on it, and that that grind was monumentally long and boring. I gave made props to anyone who managed to get to cap level in that game.
    yeah they advertised the flying like there was no tomorow but once playing you could barely use it and the spots you could you were too busy looking at your timer to notice your dying or not gathering some stupid crystal thing

honestly the grind is still as bad as launch and the leveling is just as painfull and dull as before

---------- Post added 2012-12-28 at 11:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sosleapy View Post
    U don't even have to buy the game to play it? I might have to just go see it
    i got the stupid LCE for the ingame items only to have them sell a 10buck upgrade so you could get the ingame items with the basic game so i wasted an extra 15 orso on some crappy figurine and soundtrack i didnt care for... it took gameforge ages to finally give people access to their veteran rewards and LCE stuff and i still ahve the crappy box near me annoying me everytime i look at it because its fucking useless now

---------- Post added 2012-12-28 at 11:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I wanted to like it, but the combat was super clunky and didn't feel right.

---------- Post added 2012-12-25 at 02:58 PM ----------

Here is 2/3 of the new classes in action:

Bard class is a healer debuffer

Long range explosive user.
    sorry but the bard looks super gay...

---------- Post added 2012-12-28 at 11:35 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    hah sounds a great way to stop botting but yeh sadly they've ignored the downside for people who aren't bots.
    seriously its hard for me to read them sometimes i endup going through tons till i see one that doesnt require a codebreaker to decipher...

---------- Post added 2012-12-28 at 11:36 AM ----------

ugh guess a new aaccount would have to be made to try the US servers since gameforge doesnt have any of the newer options like fast track and apparently a dungeon finder..
    Last edited by Achaman; 2012-12-28 at 10:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played it, me and my cousin both bough it at the same time. We were both pretty young back then and clueless how "servers" worked so we joined any random one. I remember lagging like a bitch, I don't think I joined a US server. So i quit after a week. Was a decent game though, AI was pretty shitty and uninspiring though quest were bland at early level.