Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I played for a while at launch, but the grind was just mind-numbing at the time and I had a heavy load at school so I had to give it up. I log on from time to time to check out the new stuff and mess around with the player housing. It's still a very pretty game and the pvp can be fun, so I recommend anyone who has some free time to check it out.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

I thought it was too asian themed for m taste and too plastic looking. It looked like everything was made out of plastic

sorry but the bard looks super gay..
    It's more classical themed music rather then todays standard, except for the butterfly's.

Aion

Hi all,

Just wondering since going F2P has it made Aion any better? I tried it first month it came out but havent looked at it since - Is the game pvp or pve focused? I'm guessing they have instances/dungeons etc?

Any comments greatly appreciated =)

Nah man im in the US version.
    Last edited by Trevor7782; 2012-12-30 at 06:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    if your in EU then no its still utter shit and its pvp focused

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor7782 View Post
    Hi all,

Just wondering since going F2P has it made Aion any better? I tried it first month it came out but havent looked at it since - Is the game pvp or pve focused? I'm guessing they have instances/dungeons etc?

Any comments greatly appreciated =)

Nah man im in the US version.
    US version is great. 100% of the game is available to you as a free player; no subscriptions or cash shop unlocks to gate what you have access to.

They've dramatically reduced the grind, adding in hundreds and hundreds of quests, and a fast-track server with 100% bonus experience in lvl 1-50. There are instanced dungeons and a few instanced raids, but much of the "endgame" is focused on castle sieges, which are a mixture of PvP and PvE. If you have any interest and have some time, I highly recommend trying it out again. Doubly so with the 4.0 patch coming out soon that's basically an expansion; new content, more levels, and 3 new classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very mixed reviews. Which was the same reception I got for Rift...and that game just didn't do it for my friends and I at all. I guess just like GW2 lost it's luster... man.
    Roboctopus of STAY MAD - Sargeras
    http://staymad.enjin.com/

They tend to be very polarizing. You generally either loathe it or love it. lol

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I played Aion for a few weeks. I stopped because I got tired of the grind fest that it started to become. That and some of the obsenly stupid characters people would make thanks to the all to generous character creator.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Deleted
    Played it in beta and at launch, made it to.. uh, I think somewhere close to 50 before quitting. My friends quit and so did I.

Saying they added quests to kill out some grinding is not enough.
    The quests themselves ussualy just involved grinding anyway, most boring quests of any MMO currently out there.

The sort of space zone with all the pvp and flying around was actually very fun, I had a great time there, but I never made it to the levelcap, the game was just too damned dull.

Played. Dropped. Not coming back. Total waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Elexo View Post
    Saying they added quests to kill out some grinding is not enough.
    The quests themselves ussualy just involved grinding anyway, most boring quests of any MMO currently out there.
    Because WoW, Rift, SWTOR, and other major MMO's have quests that don't primarily focus on killing a set number of enemies, killing enemies for a drop, finding an object in the world that's usually behind a camp of enemies, and talking to NPC's?

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Because WoW, Rift, SWTOR, and other major MMO's have quests that don't primarily focus on killing a set number of enemies, killing enemies for a drop, finding an object in the world that's usually behind a camp of enemies, and talking to NPC's?
    And GW2*

Which is hilarious because it was heralded as the next generation of MMORPG, real ground breaking stuff (go kill 10 bandits).

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    And GW2*

Which is hilarious because it was heralded as the next generation of MMORPG, real ground breaking stuff (go kill 10 bandits).
    It's a much different delivery system, but it does boil down to the same activities (though admittedly GW2 does add in a fair number of non-standard activities as a diversion while leveling).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    It's a much different delivery system, but it does boil down to the same activities (though admittedly GW2 does add in a fair number of non-standard activities as a diversion while leveling).
    I dont really understand what people expect or want as the alternative. I mean its not like games today have a Kill 10 this, then Kill 10 this, then Kill 10 this. There is a pool of quests flavors, some games with bigger pools, to choose from its really not the same as long as its dressed up with story. I mean did any of you ever play RF Online? Or Lineage 2? Those were quests to complain about.

OP, I played Aion to the almost high lvl , I can't tell you much, it's good in some way, there are some awesome features, but... I strongly suggest to try TERA if u want break from wow, Tera is like unti-wow, many features in Tera are like unti-features to wow. First, there are no target system, second amazing graphic, last but not least, open pvp. Btw, I don't know why but I lost all interest in AIon when it became ftp.

Quote Originally Posted by Malderon View Post
    I strongly suggest to try TERA if u want break from wow, Tera is like unti-wow, many features in Tera are like unti-features to wow. First, there are no target system, second amazing graphic, last but not least, open pvp. Btw, I don't know why but I lost all interest in AIon when it became ftp.
    OP would enrage at TERA's form of opn pvp if I had to guess. TERA's combat is definitely something different, but I didnt think it was anything special. It felt very clunky and slow, anyway... my perspective on TERA is highlighted here.

Why hello Xeonde, I just so happened to play Aion! Let me illuminate why (in my opinion) Aion was unsuccessful in terms of gameplay. There are a lot of things I could say about aion, from limited use of wings to very 'tracked' levelling/zone progression, but here is where I think AION fell flat in the western market while able to succeed in the east:

It took too much effort to kill individual quest mobs while levelling.

Let me elaborate - In WoW, which we will assume does some things right, with decent gear you can literally press nothing and autoattack quest mobs to death. As you approach max level, the scaling changes such that you have to use a little bit of effort, up to the point where you hit max level mobs. These mobs, serving a purpose for max level players, must be tuned to assume the player has some max level gear, and often are significantly harder than before. This, as well as the increased experience requirement approaching the maximum level, create a dragging usually painful experience for the player. Fortunately, the end is in sight at this point.

In AION, the levelling experience (in my experience) requires your full attention and performance on every mob. This is fun sometimes, but at release, levelling in AION was very slow. The levelling curve has been improved, but the fact remains that normal quest mobs being a challenge is not fun for the average western player. We (heavily generalizing based on personal experience) expect rewards for our efforts. If I have to try really hard to kill a mob, I expect it - or the quest which instructed me to kill it - to give significantly more experience. I don't expect every single butterfly mob to be that hard.

In GW2, normal quest mobs often required some level of performance, but this was perfectly fine for a few reasons:
    - Really trying on a mob you'd decimate it, especially as your build and playstyle came together
    - health regenned quickly out of combat so it was no big deal if a mob hurt you a bit
    - you could always quest in a lower level area for slightly less (but still viable) xp
    - GW2's questing was faaaar superior to wow/aion in terms of the content and story of the quests. Anyone who says otherwise must have somehow been playing wrong, seriously.

Where GW2 fell through in comparison to other MMOS (aside from the combat system which some people never really grew to like) was that the lack of carrot-on-a-stick content really doesn't work for most players at endgame. It was far too easy to feel "done" with the game. Honestly something as simple as timed dungeon leaderboards and pvp rankings would have gone a long way.

As for the rest of AION, all I know about it is from a friend who played a lot longer than I did:
    - absolutely absurd cost to craft good gear at max level requiring weeks of grinding to make one piece
    - no real pve endgame
    - imbalanced pvp

On a different note, haev you tried firefall yet? It has no guaranteed endgame and no "questing" but its a nice game to pop into and explore, gather some materials, get a couple upgrades, kill some dudes, etc..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sosleapy View Post
    Rift is amazing even on medium graphics the detail blows me away compacted to wow and I loved the instances so idk what u is smoking and aion is like the worst mmo to play. It was good then they descided all pvp and it fell from there
    Rift's engine is a blurry mess of crap. Don't compare that shit with the clarity and sharpness of wow.

I've been wanting to try out AION for a while now, it's just that there's always something in the way. Their new expansion should give me the little nudge I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    I found the level grind to be absolutely ridiculous. I got to level 18 before rage quitting. I had like 2 days of /played.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.