Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

New Smartphone, 4G, 3G, S3, Note2, iPhone5?

So I am looking to get a new phone since iv not had a proper phone that iv used for many years (last one Motorola B... something).

Now I am currently stuck on what to get, so far iv been told to get the iPhone5 but I hate the whole Apple ecosystem, only feature that is pulling me to it is the apps Iv got on my iPod touch that iv paid for and iMessage with few buddies that have it too. Sadly no SD slot, small size and other downsides stir me away from it.

Now between the S3 and Note2, the site of Note 2 is great but is it worth getting, does it offer better performance in general? I am worried it may be too big but its the size of my wallet so not too bad I guess. If it was you, would you get Note2 or S3?

So my main questions really are this:
    • Note2 or S3?
    • Wait till January sales to purchase one? Whether contract or Pay as you Go.
    • 3G or 4G, is it worth to go with EE in UK or just get the 3G or possibly wait?
    • Any approximate time before the S4 and Note2 (possibly iPhone 5s) release?
    • If you live in the UK, which provider would you go with? (O2, 3 or other?).
    • Pay as you Go or Contract?
    -K

Quote Originally Posted by H3llion View Post
    Now between the S3 and Note2, the site of Note 2 is great but is it worth getting, does it offer better performance in general? I am worried it may be too big but its the size of my wallet so not too bad I guess. If it was you, would you get Note2 or S3?
    If you are going to use the stylus on the Note 2, then get the Note 2. If you won't use the stylus, get the S3. Both are fabulous phones

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure whether I would fully utilize it. I guess I could use the phone as a graphics tablet on my main computer when needed or sketch some logo ideas, gaming and what not.
    -K

I personally have iPhone 4. Definately sticking with iPhone as it has been the best phone I've had. Easy to use, straightforward and works like a charm. No trouble at all for me.

I used to think "meh" on apple products, but after I got an iPad 2 I also got the phone. Mine is 16gb, so I never lack space. Even got a crapload of music (almost 11gig iirc) and like 900 pictures on it and some bigger videos I made with the phone.

Can't comment on the 3g or 4g stuff in the UK (or providers for that matter), I do know 4g will probably be avaible in many parts of the world in 2013 and it's bloody fast.
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

I would personally get the Note 2, but if you think the screen is too big. Get the S3, it won't dissapoint.
    Playing since 2007.

Deleted
    I have a S3, and it's the best phone I've ever used. iPhone is for the people that don't care about customizing anything.

the Note 2 not only has an excellent large screen and the stylus, it also comes standard with 2GB of ram and a quad core processor and is currently the most powerful smart phone in the world. Meaning it will be future proof for a good while. The thing is admittedly large, but it is at least thinner than both the Iphon 5 and S3.

Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    the Note 2 not only has an excellent large screen and the stylus, it also comes standard with 2GB of ram and a quad core processor and is currently the most powerful smart phone in the world. Meaning it will be future proof for a good while. The thing is admittedly large, but it is at least thinner than both the Iphon 5 and S3.
    Of course the N2 is faster because it is newer tech. That's like comparing iPhone 4G to 4GS

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Of course the N2 is faster because it is newer tech. That's like comparing iPhone 4G to 4GS
    Those dont exist.

Either way, it comes down to 1 thing - the note will always be the better device given your hand doesnt have issues holding it.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the reply guys.

Two more questions.

• Shall I wait off buying it for January Sales here in UK (signing up to the contract) or can I just go ahead and go to the store tomorrow or sometime this week?
    • For the Network, EE (Orange + T-Mobile) which offer 4G or 3G with O2? I am 90% of the times connected to the WIFI so I guess 4G would be pointless, specially when it has price premium.
    -K

Quote Originally Posted by H3llion View Post
    Thanks for the reply guys.

Two more questions.

• Shall I wait off buying it for January Sales here in UK (signing up to the contract) or can I just go ahead and go to the store tomorrow or sometime this week?
    • For the Network, EE (Orange + T-Mobile) which offer 4G or 3G with O2? I am 90% of the times connected to the WIFI so I guess 4G would be pointless, specially when it has price premium.
    1. If you aint in a hurry, i dont see no reason not to, you're probably not gonna need it that much if you're one of the 90% of the world that dont do anything around the holidays
    2. There's no reason to go for a 4g if it's at a price premium. 3g is convenient and the 21 mbps should be plenty. Only reason you might need to get 4g is if you upload videos from your phone or watch a lot of hd youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    2. There's no reason to go for a 4g if it's at a price premium. 3g is convenient and the 21 mbps should be plenty. Only reason you might need to get 4g is if you upload videos from your phone or watch a lot of hd youtube.
    Im confused. Are you saying 3G networks have speeds of 21mpbs? Because thats what my Verizon 4G speeds are.

Deleted
    might be worthwhile to wait and see what the next phone presentation in barcalona will bring. (1080p screens seems to be the big thing coming for 2013)
    also if you value a very good camera , check sony smartphones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    might be worthwhile to wait and see what the next phone presentation in barcalona will bring. (1080p screens seems to be the big thing coming for 2013)
    also if you value a very good camera , check sony smartphones.
    I guess I could Google this but, when is the presentation coming? I doubt il see the new generation phones for 2013 before March... But who knows.

I guess if I go contract, I could always upgrade right? So like GS3 to GS4?
    -K

Quote Originally Posted by reohh View Post
    Im confused. Are you saying 3G networks have speeds of 21mpbs? Because thats what my Verizon 4G speeds are.
    Yes, but that's the maximum, just like how Verizon's LTE maximum is (last I checked) around 50 Mbps. It's almost never anywhere close to that in practice, though. When I had a 3G phone I was typically in the 1-3 Mbps range, and with my LTE device I'm around 20 Mbps.

Well the S4/N3 are probably going to be released late next year say Q3/Q4 2013. If you want a great phone now than the S3 is a great device to go with. With that said the Note 2 is good if you need a phone that has a large screen and an incredibly long battery life.
    Contract carriers normally have a subsidy for the device you pick. As long as you pay the monthly fee then you save money in the long run. But really pricing is up to you as is carrier (Im from the US not sure of carrier details). I'd stay with 3g depending on the carrier. 4g seems to be gimmicky and only useable in highly populated areas (not sure where you live). Also Im not sure if there are cdma carriers in the UK. If there is lte is a gimmick and I wouldn't even bother. HSPA+ gsm 4g is great compared to it.

Also, I wouldn't get an iPhone 5s when it launches. Apple's incrmental upgrades are marginal improvements. However, Do you have any money invested in Apple/Google app environments? That's always a deciding factor as you might not want to run away from that investment.
    Last edited by Linkedblade; 2012-12-24 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reohh View Post
    HSPA has a speed of 21mbps and DHSPA or i forget the name has a speed of 42 mbps. 4G LTE should do speeds up to 100mbps.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    It came out roughly the same time as the other 2. The reason its more powerful is because its more expensive and its larger so it can fit more inside. Technology has always worked like that... more space + more money = more power generally... Its why tablets are more powerful than smart phones, who laptops are more powerful than tablets, why desktops are more powerful than laptops, and why supercomputers are more powerful than desktops etc...

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer the S3 to anything else on the list it really is my favorite gadget that I own.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    HSPA has a speed of 21mbps and DHSPA or i forget the name has a speed of 42 mbps. 4G LTE should do speeds up to 100mbps.
    HSPA is 21Mbps
    HSPA+ is 42Mbps
    LTE is 100Mbps-ish.

All these are purely theoretical. They're your link from your phone to the tower under optimal conditions and from there, it depends on what the backhaul is like and how much load is on the tower.

Also HSPA has been called both 3G and 4G. The ITU changed their definitions of what 4G is, thus HSPA now qualifies. It was noticeable here. The ads suddenly switched from advertizing the "3G+" network to advertizing the "4G" network.