Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Thinking back; Warlocks in Cataclysm

Am I the only one who misses the old Warlock? I was absolutely in love with the number of buttons Destruction had, and the things to keep track of etc. - even the abomination that was Improved Soul Fire. The spec felt challenging then, and I hate the way they've taken it and made it faceroll. And for Affliction, I loved Shadow Bolt. Malefic Grasp doesn't even compare, it feels so clunky and boring somehow. As a matter of fact, the entire spec does. Channeling the same spell (yes, I consider Malefic Grasp/DS the same spell as you merely swap one with the other once and that's it) 75% of the time just gets really boring.

I wish they would have avoided revamping the class for Mists.

Anyone feeling the same?

/end of random rant

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I feel like Destruction needs another dot or something, I completely hate the new Demonology, and the new Affliction is just meh.. I don't like the new redesign, and it's sad that Warlocks got it instead of Rogues..

Deleted
    Personally, I like all three Warlock revamped specs, if in theory anyway. Affli using MG/DS, how is it much different to the Drain Life we were required to use in Wrath, and at least Affli doesn't have the tedious task of keeping up the Shadowbolt debuff on the target in multi-dotting situations. Demo no longer requires a full 8 buttons to preform a rotation, and I personally enjoy the Meta situational awareness that's needed.

I can understand Destro being too predictable, but personally I'd rather a change involve the random gain of Embers than another spell. Corruption in Destro felt clunky to me. I don't understand how pressing another button every 16 seconds is meant to allieviate the Incinerate spam. If there's a rotational combo-breaker in the rotation, Conflag is more suited to it (and I thought the addition of Embers was meant to make it that).

I like the new demo.. Never been a fan of the old one. Destro was never my thing But I like big crits :P.
    Affliction feels like it lost something, Been always a fan of eradication :P would love to have my own bloodlust back.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rning/advanced
    i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz - R9-280X @ 1150Mhz on stock voltage - 8GB of DDR3 Ram @ 1866Mhz

Deleted
    Both the new affliction and demo feel like a breath of fresh air to me. Throughout my 8 years of playing this game I don't think I've been having this fun playing a dps ever. Especially the new affliction is a great example of easy to learn, hard to master, a mantra that blizzard has stated numerous times is something to strive for. I love how our versatility allows us to be relatively strong on almost every fight without any gimmick that allows us to be ridiculous on one or two of them. Destro is, sadly back to being the face roll spec it was in wrath, but I'm ok with that, we need a simplistic spec for pvp anyway, and some people dont like specs where there is always room to improve.

All in all; don't change us back to cataclysm, I'm having a blast not feeling frustrated with some stupid mechanic and I think the nerf in 5.2 will bring us in line with the other top single target specs!

Destro is very fun. I thoroughly enjoy the redesigned destro.

Demo really just lacks quality-of-life stuff. Talking PvP here. I find that managing my pet, my mana, my health and my fury bar to be very irritating. Pets re-issuing orders if their target is CC'd is another giant annoyance.

Ever played an RTS where units over-right your orders mid-fight to do something completely different? Yeah, me neither.

I think demo should lose mana as a resource and have all spells just cost nothing. It's all about building fury anyway, having to manage mana ontop of that seems overkill. Especially when combined with Life Tap and demo's total lack of self-heals.

Aff is ruined in PvP. The spec just doesn't work anymore unless you can find a good warrior to babysit you.

10+ Year Old Account
    They were all dumbed down pretty hard, especially demo. Had to get rid of like half my keybinds and my lock's bars are half empty while playing the spec.
    Look! Words!

Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    They were all dumbed down pretty hard, especially demo. Had to get rid of like half my keybinds and my lock's bars are half empty while playing the spec.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjz5qtOuWfU

Infracted. Post constructively please. ~xskarma

---------- Post added 2012-12-25 at 08:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjz5qtOuWfU

Infracted. Post constructively please. ~xskarma
    well, that video does show my opinion about the matter for those who can understand the purpose of it. I'm loving to have less buttons to press. to me, the warlock revamp was 100% beneficial (specially for demo)

besides, linking a get smart video is always worth an infraction
    Last edited by xskarma; 2012-12-25 at 08:41 PM.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love the revamp they did, for every spec. I've tried all 3 specs extensively by now, and all 3 specs just work.

I get rather annoyed when people call Destro faceroll. My guess is they haven't really tried it and are just echoing tired old comments from early beta. Playing Destro at a sufficient level is intricate enough and has enough things going on to make it interesting. You might have a slight point on single target fights, but as soon as you have a second target or adds Destro becomes quite involved and fun. And I'd argue that no single target figth is truely interesting, in whatever spec you choose. Add to that the fact there are very few pure single target fights anymore and you can only conclude that Destro is just as fun to play as Affli or Demo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, I definitely miss having to stand in melee and deal with terrible mechanics just to do the same damage as other classes, I also miss my multi-doting being terrible and horribly clunky thanks to shadow embrace. Oh and I also miss being underpowered for about a year in DS while mages and rogues were god mode.

Oh wait I don't.

Powerful and streamlined > Weak and clunky

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizers View Post
    Yep, I definitely miss having to stand in melee and deal with terrible mechanics just to do the same damage as other classes, I also miss my multi-doting being terrible and horribly clunky thanks to shadow embrace. Oh and I also miss being underpowered for about a year in DS while mages and rogues were god mode.

Oh wait I don't.

Powerful and streamlined > Weak and clunky
    I do miss melee demo though, I wish blizz would have improved on that instead of removing it

@^ Warlocks were never weak in DS, ever. In all the fights warlocks were easily top 3.

@Thread
    Hate the new affliction, the haunt/shadow system.... also I utterly dislike SB: SS
    Destro and Demo are better this way tho, I understand both got dumb'd down but the specs are more fun to play this way imo. Dealing with a long CD meta or having to shadowflame on CD (being in melee) also the pet swapping, ugh, for me those were bad designs.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBrems View Post
    I loved Shadow Bolt. Malefic Grasp doesn't even compare, it feels so clunky and boring somehow.
    I also feel the lack of a spammable single target cast-time spell, I believe they created Malefic Grasp as an answer to those who liked to use Drain Life as a filler. If that's the case maybe they missed the point that using Drain Life was fun because it also provided healing, not because it was a channeled spell.

In the end I kinda like the class rewamp, what I really miss are a few perks that got removed even before Cata, like detect invisibility.

I do miss melee demo though, I wish blizz would have improved on that instead of removing it
    Agreed, I would have loved a melee spec. ATM I'm using demo only with Dark Apotheosis for the lulz.
    Last edited by capitano666; 2012-12-25 at 09:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Well I do have a penis attached to me as well but I dont know 'a lot' about it, I dont even know how it tastes. Maybe you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    I think demo should lose mana as a resource and have all spells just cost nothing. It's all about building fury anyway, having to manage mana ontop of that seems overkill. Especially when combined with Life Tap and demo's total lack of self-heals.
    Completely agreed. Mana just feels burdensome at this point.

Perhaps, but then Blizzard needed to start with making the spec count as melee for all encounter purposes. i.e. wind bomb won't hit you, rain of arrows won't hit you, etc.

I don't care about and haven't bothered with destro, the new demo at 85 immediately turned me off, and I love love LOVE the new affliction. Malefic grasp makes so much more sense than shadow bolt spam.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    Perhaps, but then Blizzard needed to start with making the spec count as melee for all encounter purposes. i.e. wind bomb won't hit you, rain of arrows won't hit you, etc.
    that's what I meant by "improved on that", making it a full melee-range spec

Deleted
    I actually like the new way of playing Affliction, it feels "more" alive for me now, it has more things to keep track up and you can finally do top-dps.
    For destro PoV, I hate it, I rather play pet-battles 12 straight hours. One dot, CB when you have 'reached' the embers req to cast it, and then 2.5 cast time, yeh, that's lovely.. Yes, I've raided with the spec, so I'm not just sitting here talking shit to something I haven't tried.

For Demon, I actually dont like that either.. For being a class that needs to stack up the "abilities" before you can use it, I can't find that funny to play. (Ye, ye.. rogues have combo points, monks Chi, etc etc. But they arent ranged, so that's not the same thing..)

In Wotlk I primary played Demon. In Cata Destro. And now in MoP; Affli, full out. I havent even concider changing to another spec for progressing. (Playing Dest/Demon on easy farm bosses.)
    and that's not because I dont think you can do big numbers or that Affli is simcreafted to be the best spec, it's more like I dont wanna play the other specs, beacus they are not fun to play..

I like that corruption gave me another button to push as destruction, coz right now it seems like I dont have enough buttons now. But I am very happy about not having my DPS and rotation build around trying to keep up improved soulfire buff anymore. That was really annoying.

Some other dot or some other spell with a fair short cooldown. Something I can use between every idk 2-3 incinerates. Something it seems like I am casting 5 or 6 incinerates before i can use/do something with embers or immolate. 1 extra button would be nice.

At least single target, AOE isnt too bad with ROF, FnB to copy spells.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HhitSappens View Post
    @^ Warlocks were never weak in DS, ever. In all the fights warlocks were easily top 3.
    It's debatable whether or not Warlocks were even a top three Pure DPS in Dragon Soul. Mages (Fire) and Rogues with FotF were definitely stronger and Survival Hunters turned out to be quite good after the crying about being sat on Gunship. Aside from Ultraxion and probably H Yorsahj, Shadow Priests were awesome too.

Warlocks weren't awful for DS other than Heroic Spine in the early going, but it was not one of our stronger tiers.

Getting back to the topic at hand, I generally prefer all three specs the way they are now. They may have cut several buttons out of the priority list but adding resource management is a great way to improve the skillcap without turning priorities into a mess.

I miss Shadowflame as a spell but not as a part of our rotation, and I like that at least Destro and Affliction can go petless in case we have more fights that aren't friendly to dopey AI.
    Last edited by PickleballAce; 2012-12-25 at 10:42 PM.

I like the Aff and Demo revamps. I want to like Destro but as has been said before, it's just too straight forward. Needs some kind of proc...any kind of proc. Anything lol.

I've heard complaints about Demo being made too simple but I think it's actually a lot more involved in managing Fury and mana now, as opposed to before where it was click Meta when it came off CD and another 10 buttons. I don't feel like complicated was the right word for that.