Deleted

Lan not working anymore....

Hello!

Well on my older pc (windows xp) the lan stopped working...

It worked fine this morning, this midday we had a short power out ... and then my gf played sims 3 on it (i dont know if internet was available on that point...)
    I tried alot of things also getting into the cmd opconfig, but i cant seem to get any info from there either ...
    I tried setting the system back to last friday, no effect either on the internet.
    It is not the modem fault, since this pc also is linked up with lan.
    It cannot be the cable, would be weird its a cable made to even lay in water and still give internet ...
    Already run multiple malware and virus scans, removed any threat and still no results ...
    Ipconfig /renew , does not work either, since for some reason ipconfig doesnt get anything ...

Basicly what i get is 0 internet in the computer ...
    I hope somebody has experience with this ....
    im lost .....

10+ Year Old Account
    This may be a silly question, but have you tried just going into your network connections in your control panel and checking to see if for whatever reason your LAN was disabled?
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

Deleted
    Yeah i tried to let it recover and it cant get teh ip and dchp(or something) settings .... but it also seems like it doesnt detect the lan acable at all ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Trying to let it recover isn't the same as the suggestion I made :P If your computer isn't detecting your lan cable, it could be because you've accidentally disabled your Local Area Network.
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

Deleted
    Nah its all working everything is set on... on ....

and i cant see if its being turned of anywhere .... it just doesnt detect it (my feelings) could it be that the power out jolted and busted the network shit in the pc :S ???

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not familiar with how electricity can affect a PC, so I'm not sure if that's a possibility, I'm sure it is but I'd expect other components to be damaged first other than your network controller.

Maybe someone else here can give some insight?

Alright, to knock out a couple things let me make a list for you...

1: Find Device Manger... You can find it via control panel or right clicking your computer and selecting properties
    Now look to see what is listed under network adapters, are drivers installed? Do they have a red X or yellow ! over them?
    If they are installed and don't have the X or ! then that should be good. You can download the latest driver from the Mobo's webpage if you want though.

2: Click Start -> Control Panel -> Network
    Once your in your network folder find the LAN connection. Make sure its enabled, if it is and you have a cord plugged in does it show any type of connection there?

3: With the cord plugged in, do you see any lights on the LAN port indicating it is working?

4: I didn't see anything about trying a different port or cable on the router. Do not rule out the cable even if it's new - things can be defective.
    Last edited by Sthos; 2012-12-25 at 08:54 PM.