View Poll Results: Do you think football should be banned?

Voters
239. You may not vote on this poll
  • We should ban all sports and athletics.

    38 15.90%
  • Football should be banned for everyone, including adults.

    19 7.95%
  • Football should be banned in high schools and colleges.

    4 1.67%
  • Football should be banned in high schools only.

    9 3.77%
  • Football shouldn't be banned.

    169 70.71%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
8
LastLast
  1. #121
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Ban ALL the sports, and make E-Sports the new sports... I'd be happy, for I care not about the people throwing the balls around 'n' stuffz.
    E-Sports are dangerous too.

    Blood clots.

  2. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarssen View Post
    In the minds of Europeans/ANZACs who have never played football.
    Playing American football teaches you statistics? Which is what I would assume you needed to answer that question.

    Also, I'll ask again. Exactly who is it who wants this banned?

  3. #123
    The usual trend at work on MMO-C...

    -Thread gets created trolling conservatives using extremist examples, everyone eats it up.
    -Thread gets created trolling liberals using extremist examples, everyone gets really offended.

    Either way, football has nothing to do with politics, nor should it, and there is no reason to ban it. Cheerleaders get injured frequently too.

  4. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by Swazi Spring View Post
    1. The players choose to play the game of their own free will and their parents also have to approve allowing them to play.
    This is really all that needs to be said on the subject. The government has no business regulating or restricting it in any way.

    Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    It always amuses me to see people confuse liberalism with authoritarianism.
    The modern Democratic Party is to blame for that, much like the modern Republican Party is to blame for the association of conservatism with authoritarianism.

    It's a sad state for a democracy to be in when two parties control the entire system and they are both authoritarian.

  5. #125
    Scarab Lord Roose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    4,945
    Quote Originally Posted by blib View Post
    I'm still curious as to who it is that actually wants this ban?
    Nobody really. The OP wants Democrats/liberals/non-righties to be responsible for an attempt to ban football so that they can say "look at the lefties ruining the world!" However, the is no push by anyone in particular to ban football. Just like there is no big push to ban guns, yet all you hear about is how liberals are going to ban all guns.

    Only people trying to get shit banned are conservatives. Unless you consider banning discrimination, then you can blame the liberals.

  6. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarssen View Post
    100% false. I played both. Rugby is a tough sport and there are many injuries to be had, but you DO NOT receive the same type of hits that you do in football. Anyone who suggests you do has not played both sports or is lying. Rugby relies more on tackling mechanics rather than brute force impacts to stop the ball carrier. You simply cannot deliver or receive the type of hits football dishes out without padding and not be seriously injured. The fact that you seem to think rugby hits harder than football betrays you as never having played both at a high (i.e. collegiate or higher) level.
    American Football allows a greater level of impact because of the padding. If you removed the padding from the game, the rules would have to adapt to Rugby-esque levels.

  7. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by blib View Post
    Playing American football teaches you statistics? Which is what I would assume you needed to answer that question.

    Also, I'll ask again. Exactly who is it who wants this banned?
    According to the poll, 54/198 people want it banned.

    That is disturbingly high.

  8. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by blib View Post
    You seem to have very black and white case of what harming others is. There is many ways to harm people, directly and indirectly. Morality is also something that is at the core of us human beings, without it we are animals, with nice tools, means of communicating but still. Murder is immoral, so say the majority of our society and yet there are cases where we deem the taking of another life just.

    Why should we not harm others if it benefits us? If you take morality out of the picture?
    I'm not going to continue going on about the similarities between the arguments to ban guns and the argument to ban sports. They're there for anyone to see. I know most people want to count them different, because a 'lot' of people want to ban guns, and not as many want to ban sports - but again, all of the arguments to ban guns are there to ban sports as well. I simply want people to think about that when they jump over to their anti-gun threads, or as they're living in their countries with guns already banned. Just replace 'sports' with 'guns' and read the same sentences. (including the ones you've written yourself)

    When I talk about enforcing morality, I'm not talking about murder, rape, or theft. Those are universal 'laws', all human beings know they're wrong. We don't need religion or politicians to tell us they're wrong. They've been illegal since human beings have been around. They also have VICTIMS.

    When people talk about drug use or prostitution being immoral, it's a bit different. How different is that REALLY from someone else who considers using technology to be "immoral", sinful? (Amish) How about people who believe it's a sin against God to eat pork? Is it OK to execute people for having different beliefs than you? Throw them in jail, fine them, ruin their lives, victimize them?

    The problem when you start enforcing morality is that almost everybody in the world has (usually slightly) different ideas on morality. What do you enforce, then? The morality of the MAJORITY? Then this only leads to the OPPRESSION of anyone who ISN'T the 'majority'. Hell, the way things work today, most of the time the laws DON'T even reflect the opinion of the majority - but only those IN CONTROL. That's the definition of tyranny. We may not see it as tyranny until police start breaking into your homes and hauling you off to jail, but the signs are there.

    A lot of people DO think the government should "take care of people" or not let them do things that "hurt themselves." I think it's ridiculous in the worst way. Banning sports is an example, but so is banning drugs, guns, prostitution, and more. We're fast approaching a society where everything is illegal, (Illegal Everything) where every citizen is a criminal and selective enforcement is the phrase of the day. Don't get noticed, don't step out of line, and don't be unlucky - you'll be fine.
    Last edited by Daerio; 2012-12-25 at 10:52 PM.

  9. #129
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Scotland/England/Wherever
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarssen View Post
    100% false. I played both. Rugby is a tough sport and there are many injuries to be had, but you DO NOT receive the same type of hits that you do in football. Anyone who suggests you do has not played both sports or is lying. Rugby relies more on tackling mechanics rather than brute force impacts to stop the ball carrier. You simply cannot deliver or receive the type of hits football dishes out without padding and not be seriously injured. The fact that you seem to think rugby hits harder than football betrays you as never having played both at a high (i.e. collegiate or higher) level.
    I'm not going to bother arguing with someone who is obviously so convinced by their own words, so all I will say is..........
    BAHAHA.....HAHAHA....HAHA................HA

    Screw it, I will argue. You can't pull the 'you're lying if you say blah blah' nonsense. I can go out of my way and say I have played both (I have, rugby at regional level, AF at a club/county level) and I can say that putting that padding on makes you feel bloody invincible. And you know what? It does.

    You can run into the ball carrier with gay abandon and not worry about a single scratch, and therein lies the problem inherent in AF. The defenders feel they can do whatever the hell they like to the carrier. Take the pads off an American Footballer and I think you'd have a rough approximation of what an actual footballer plays their game like, cowering around the ball, afraid to touch it, falling over at the slightest gust of wind and feigning injury so long as they can take home their paycheque.

    BUT I DIGRESS! Rugby hurts a shitload more than American Football, fact.

  10. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by Riidii View Post
    According to the poll, 54/198 people want it banned.

    That is disturbingly high.
    Yes.. disturbing..

    So no you can't name any organization or prominent person pushing for a ban on American football so everyone taking this thread seriously are idiots?

  11. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by thomolithic View Post
    I'm not going to bother arguing with someone who is obviously so convinced by their own words, so all I will say is..........
    BAHAHA.....HAHAHA....HAHA................HA

    Screw it, I will argue. You can't pull the 'you're lying if you say blah blah' nonsense. I can go out of my way and say I have played both (I have, rugby at regional level, AF at a club/county level) and I can say that putting that padding on makes you feel bloody invincible. And you know what? It does.

    You can run into the ball carrier with gay abandon and not worry about a single scratch, and therein lies the problem inherent in AF. The defenders feel they can do whatever the hell they like to the carrier. Take the pads off an American Footballer and I think you'd have a rough approximation of what an actual footballer plays their game like, cowering around the ball, afraid to touch it, falling over at the slightest gust of wind and feigning injury so long as they can take home their paycheque.

    BUT I DIGRESS! Rugby hurts a shitload more than American Football, fact.
    American Football is more dangerous because of the speed and size of the players.

  12. #132
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,414
    I assume "We should ban all sports and athletics." was only voted on by people trolling or I at least hope it was

  13. #133
    Scarab Lord Roose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    4,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Riidii View Post
    According to the poll, 54/198 people want it banned.
    I know that I voted yes just because the whole thing is so absurd it does not matter.

  14. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    I'm not going to continue going on about the similarities between the arguments to ban guns and the argument to ban sports. They're there for anyone to see. I know most people want to count them different, because a 'lot' of people want to ban guns, and not as many want to ban sports - but again, all of the arguments to ban guns are there to ban sports as well. I simply want people to think about that when they jump over to their anti-gun threads, or as they're living in their countries with guns already banned. Just replace 'sports' with 'guns' and read the same sentences. (including the ones you've written yourself)

    When I talk about enforcing morality, I'm not talking about murder, rape, or theft. Those are universal 'laws', all human beings know they're wrong. We don't need religion or politicians to tell us they're wrong. They've been illegal since human beings have been around. They also have VICTIMS.

    When people talk about drug use or prostitution being immoral, it's a bit different. How different is that REALLY from someone else who considers using technology to be "immoral", sinful? (Amish) How about people who believe it's a sin against God to eat pork? Is it OK to execute people for having different beliefs than you? Throw them in jail, fine them, ruin their lives, victimize them?

    The problem when you start enforcing morality is that almost everybody in the world has (usually slightly) different ideas on morality. What do you enforce, then? The morality of the MAJORITY? Then this only leads to the OPPRESSION of anyone who ISN'T the 'majority'. Hell, the way things work today, most of the time the laws DON'T even reflect the opinion of the majority - but only those IN CONTROL. That's the definition of tyranny. We may not see it as tyranny until police start breaking into your homes and hauling you off to jail, but the signs are there.
    I just showed you how non of your comparisons hold up.. And you come up with zero counter arguments. Your excuse for that is that you don't want to use time on it and yet you write a paragraph about it, without a single counter argument... How many sports have been used in school massacres? How many people have, legally, risen up from poverty to better life through guns? How much exercise do you get from shooting a gun? The two aren't even remotely similar.

    I'll ask you again, if you don't use morality as a argument at all why is rape and murder illegal? Because they have victims? First off, arguably things like use of prostitutes and drugs have victims as well. Secondly why does it matter if there are victims or not if you don't want morality to enter the picture?

    Our laws are based on practicality and morality. They are made with the goal in mind to keep a large group of people together while keeping as many of them as possible happy and let them live their life. If we discard morality what reason would I have for not killing you if it suited me?

  15. #135
    Football should be banned worldwide, the riots caused when teams lose have been known to cost lives of spectators. Until these crazy football hooligans can figure out how to deal with loses like adults we need to remove football from the world entirely... Wait are you talking about football or American football?

  16. #136
    I've never heard of any one wanting to ban football. What madness is this!!!

  17. #137
    Moderator Kasierith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St Petersburg
    Posts
    11,185
    Ya, despite my economic, political, and human rights views, I have never expressed a desire to see sports banned. Reducing the funding towards certain sports in some school districts and rerouting said funds to more academic endeavors maybe, but not outright banning. You couldn't get more ridiculously contrived as this strawman OP.
    “…the whole trouble lies here. In words, words. Each one of us has within him a whole world of things, each man of us his own special world. And how can we ever come to an understanding if I put in the words I utter the sense and value of things as I see them; while you who listen to me must inevitably translate them according to the conception of things each one of you has within himself. We think we understand each other, but we never really do.”
    XKCD is always relevant. Always.

  18. #138
    Mechagnome Kardezar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    602
    hahaha, good luck banning such a money maker.

  19. #139
    Moderator Kasierith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St Petersburg
    Posts
    11,185
    Quote Originally Posted by blib View Post
    Our laws are based on practicality and morality. They are made with the goal in mind to keep a large group of people together while keeping as many of them as possible happy and let them live their life. If we discard morality what reason would I have for not killing you if it suited me?
    Personal security. You participate in a system where you believe that, if everyone follows the rules as you do, you will never be murdered by another citizen. Mutual protection is one of the earliest aspects of civilization and law.
    “…the whole trouble lies here. In words, words. Each one of us has within him a whole world of things, each man of us his own special world. And how can we ever come to an understanding if I put in the words I utter the sense and value of things as I see them; while you who listen to me must inevitably translate them according to the conception of things each one of you has within himself. We think we understand each other, but we never really do.”
    XKCD is always relevant. Always.

  20. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggayshammy View Post
    ban football? what?

    i dont give a shit about football and im a liberal

    lets ban UFC though. why? so people will stop wearing tap out shirts
    This ^^^^^^

    Infracted. Don't post "this" posts
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-12-25 at 11:25 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •