Thread: [TV] Merlin

[TV] Merlin

So I just started watching the Merlin series and I have a few questions for anyone who has watched the series longer (I'm only up to se1ep5).

How close does this show follow the lore of Arthur?
    I always thought Morgana was evil, is she a good in this show?
    I thought Guinevere would become Arthur's wife, it seems right now that she and Merlin likes each other.

I know these may be spoilers but I don't mind. I'm really enjoying the show so I'll be watching all of the episodes anyway.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gure View Post
    So I just started watching the Merlin series and I have a few questions for anyone who has watched the series longer (I'm only up to se1ep5).

I thought Guinevere would become Arthur's wife, it seems right now that she and Merlin likes each other.

I know these may be spoilers but I don't mind. I'm really enjoying the show so I'll be watching all of the episodes anyway.

Thanks.
    It follows the lore a little, but not too closely.
    Morgana starts off good but that will go away by season 2.
    Guinevere doesn't like Arthur at first, but he grows on her. You will have to wait until season 3 before it really heats up. And no, she doesn't like Merlin like that, more in the "oh, what a cute clumsy little kid" sort of way.

Hope this answers your questions, hit me up for anymore

The show is amazing, in my opinion. So its a total watch, but the ending, to not spoil to much, is a bit down.. Except all the bad effects (not as bad as once upon a time tho), its so warming and heart-touching that i stopped caring for the bad effects. :> Luv the show.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gure View Post
    It.... kinda follows it? It references a lot, but all the references are pretty far out of place.

For now, but she becomes evil later. If you're on episode 5, you'll see pretty soon about what exactly drives her away and turns her to darkness.

They stay more at a close friends level, and over the course of time she stats having romantic feelings for Arthur and so on

The show isn't my favorite, but I do enjoy having it running in the background when I'm not in the mood for anything serious. It's a rather interesting approach overall.

i tried watching the show. i always give a new show 1-2 episodes to reel me in and get me hooked and i just couldnt get into it with the way it looked. i cant explain it, like the camera view looked cheap.. and the close-ups were just... idk lol. maybe ill give it another try. maybe its like doctor who where the story lines were great, but the props at the beginning of the first couple seasons were laughable.

Deleted
    First two seasons were questionable, but it got better as it went on. The last ever episode which went out on Christmas Eve was surprisingly moving and true to the legend.

Stop watching the end is horrible.

Deleted
    Was it a cliffhanger? :P

I thought the show was good overall, they were a few disappointing parts but other then that a really good series.

15+ Year Old Account

[TV] Merlin Series Finale

This is discussing the last episode of the series...huge spoilers ahead...obviously.

My feelings? I thought the end was horrible! I know that Arthur being fatally wounded by Mordred is part of Arthurian Legend (thanks Wikipedia). So they stuck to the source material by killing him off, but is anyone really happy they stuck to it? I mean...does anyone see Arther dieing as a decent ending? Maybe I have to be British to understand...I don't know.

So Arther dies...lets move past that. The ending was still bad! I wanted to see a Camelot in which magic was freely practiced! I wanted to see Merlin teaching young witches and warlocks! I want to see the Albion that Merlin worked so hard to create! Give me a proper epilogue! Instead we just get "old Merlin" walking down a modern street...so...what? Obviously magic didn't do so well because there's no magic in the modern world!

Also, Morgana died like a punk, but then again they kind of made her a punk anyways. She wasn't menacing. I mean...just look at her final strike against Merlin...he has no magic...he's completely defenseless against her, she could have just killed him and been done with it, but what does she do? She traps him in the cave, to...starve to death I guess? Ugg. That's like something Doctor Evil would do!

Finally, the dragon made no sense. Why didn't he just fly Arthur all the way to the island? Why didn't Merlin try summoning him sooner? And then why does Merlin listen to the dragon and stop trying to save Arthur? When has Merlin ever listened to the dragon? NEVER.

TL;DR: All in all it was a pretty lackluster season capped off by an undercooked ending. Anyone else have similar grievances? Or do you think the ending was good?
    Last edited by Lemons; 2012-12-28 at 12:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it wasn't great tbh, also it so should have been merlin as him normal self doing the lightning etc near the begining. It was easy to look past the extremely shit effects, didn't bother me because it was pretty epic.

As for the end, the dragon said something along the lines of Arthur will rise again when he is needed most, and then shows merlin in the modern day. This could lead to a new show set in the modern day but i am fairly certain it won't, there's always the possibility though.

Overall the episode wasn't too great, the battle lasted like 5 mins, morgana sucked etc. The whole traveling scenario between merlin and arthur was good though as arthur acceped merlin for who he was.

Deleted
    What?! Cancelled! Noooooo! I havent watched the final episodes of S5 yet so I had no idea about them cancelling it already

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    What?! Cancelled! Noooooo! I havent watched the final episodes of S5 yet so I had no idea about them cancelling it already
    They wrapped it up quite nicely so don't worry. It's the biggest cliffhanger in the history of series, except for SGU.

Season 1 and Season 2 were pretty much about setting the relationship between Merlin and Arthur, it wasn't until Season 3 where the show got darker and took on more "darker" storylines. I've been watching the show on and off since it aired and I enjoyed watching it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    I mean...does anyone see Arther dieing as a decent ending?
    I actually did not know the episode was the end of the show. I watched with a sense of mounting dread as the doors were slowly closed one by one, until nothing was left for Arthur but to play out the end of the legend. Not knowing the end in advance, it had quite an emotional kick to me.

Maybe I have to be British to understand...I don't know.
    Yes, but then I am British. To me the most heroic deeds involve sacrifice. The Hollywood preference for the hero being the "winner" leaves me cold. May be it is a cultural thing.

. Anyone else have similar grievances? Or do you think the ending was good?
    I don't really watch high fantasy for strict logical coherence of the plot. Why the eagles did not fly the ring to Mt Doom is not the kind of question I ask watching LotR. What was best about the series was Merlin and Arthur's relationship, and I thought the finale wrapped that up quite nicely. Arthur first reacted like his father, then slowly allowed his better nature to rise. Merlin was pretty kick ass, both as boy and sorcerer - Colin Morgan really can act.

Deleted
    it's a decent show, with developing characters. I've watched all seasons.

Sound effects are extremely cheap though, and there's no blood, ever. (for the kids i suppose)

I did not like the ending like so many others, was a bit dissapointing. I pretty much agree with what Lemons said.
    Last edited by mmoc409bdafe4d; 2012-12-29 at 10:57 AM.

***Spoilers***

Ok so here's my thing with the ending. I actually didn't mind the way it ended in a general sense. However, it was so very unfortunate that they did what appeared to be no planning and had to suddenly wrap up the show out of nowhere in 3-4 episodes. If they had taken all of season 5 to cover the events of the last 3 episodes then I feel it would have been 1) a much better season and 2) a fitting conclusion to the show. However, it felt like this season up through at least ep. 9 and perhaps even ep. 10 was simply building up to the final battle with Morgana, and season 6 is when Mordred's plot would finally be fleshed out. It seems as though the writers/producers were thinking they could convince the actors to do another season and had to scramble at the very last minute when they (most notably Bradley James) decided they did not want to go beyond season 5. A horrible lack of communication, planning, writing, etc. cost this show the buildup and ending that it deserved. I will say the acting between Merlin and Arthur in the final episode is really fantastic, by far the best of the entire show and they really do their best to sell the ending.

Damn that ending.... hardly anything has happened of any real interest for gods no how long and then all the moments people were actually waiting for happen in the last 2 episodes. I mean come on it the damn story moved forward in an interesting way before now it might not have been cancelled because I know alot of people who gave it up due to so much shit been left right till the end. Any more before they put a show on TV they need to have a plan for it to be well paced because that is what killed merlin, the pacing is worse then ANY show I have ever seen. And I mean any show I don't think I have seen anything quite has bad in that area.

I love this show. 3rd season of this show is very interesting. I enjoyed this show very much. This show is running very well.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    They pushed really fast the ending with stupid actions from every character...i guess everything is about money and since they had to end it , they end it fast.....

Same thing with the Legend of the Seeker...meh....