Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Monks not really monks?

Sure, they've got the martial arts and the whole zen thing goin' on, but that's not really what a monk is all about. They don't seem ascetic, as they can drink and eat whatever they want, possess whatever they want, love whoever they want, etc. They train in monasteries, but aren't required to live in them or anything. They can be mean or downright evil, as evidenced by Brother Korloff. Honestly, they feel like a kung fu wizard than an actual monk. I feel like they should have called the whole class brewmaster, then make 3 specs built around that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I disagree. Your move.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

Yea, I wasn't overly happy with them going down the "drunken master" path for the class, would of preferred a more typical "zen" Monk style. But meh, there's more than one type of Monk (both IRL and Fantasy) and they couldn't really do everything.

Oh, you of little knowledge, cast your judgments only after you've seen more of the world.

While I won't disagree with calling the whole class Brewmaster (as that would fit in far better with prior lore and such and sounds more awesome, no offense but Chen never came across as a tank), being a monk doesn't necessarily mean they all have to abide by all the criteria you've outlined OP, only some.

Most RL monks practice non-violence and dont have magic powers. Would make a pretty boring class imo...

10+ Year Old Account
    It's some terrible mix of Pandaren Brewmaster from WC3, combined with Monk from Diablo.
    It really doesn't work, but oh well.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

10+ Year Old Account
    RL monks =/= Pandaren Monks.

Playable WoW monks are in the style of the Pandaren Brewmasters.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Stood in the Fire Static Transit's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, most monks in real life don't fight. I think if we were to judge the classes by their real-life counterparts, I'd say that priests shouldn't be shooting shadowy disease stuff either.

Too bad this isn't a fictional universe or anything. Then they could be whatever Blizzard wants them to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Xothic View Post
    I disagree. Your move.
    Lmfao, this sums up my feels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Static Transit View Post
    Well, most monks in real life don't fight. I think if we were to judge the classes by their real-life counterparts, I'd say that priests shouldn't be shooting shadowy disease stuff either.
    Maybe not your average christian priest, but long ago priests served in battle at times to gain the blessing of whatever god they believed in, and there are plenty of demented cults out there with evil priests.

---------- Post added 2012-12-26 at 05:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    Too bad this isn't a fictional universe or anything. Then they could be whatever Blizzard wants them to be.
    Then I can call a death knight a paladin, even though he's not? I mean, it is a fantasy universe. Deathwing wasn't a dragon after all, he was simply a really expired tomato. And Varian isn't a human, he's a sentient wig with a human shaped tumor attached to him.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2012-12-26 at 05:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    M

[/COLOR]Then I can call a death knight a paladin, even though he's not? I mean, it is a fantasy universe.
    Yes you can, you can do whatever you want .

Then I can call a death knight a paladin, even though he's not? I mean, it is a fantasy universe. Deathwing wasn't a dragon after all, he was simply a really expired tomato. And Varian isn't a human, he's a sentient wig with a human shaped tumor attached to him.
    You can do whatever you want, but what you call it doesn't effect what it is. What Blizzard calls it effects what it is. If they choose a death knight is a paladin, then a death knight is a paladin. The point is that the pandaren monks in World of Warcraft were not meant to mirror monks in real life, but instead be a version which better suits the pandaren and the idea which Blizzard had for them.

There's certainly more of a connection between pandaren monks and monks in real life, then Deathwing and a rotten tomato, either way. Your examples are terrible and don't help your point whatsoever.
    Last edited by StationaryHawk; 2012-12-26 at 05:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    You can do whatever you want, but what you call it doesn't effect what it is. What Blizzard calls it effects what it is. If they choose a death knight is a paladin, then a death knight is a paladin. The point is that the pandaren monks in World of Warcraft were not meant to mirror monks in real life, but instead be a version which better suits the pandaren and the idea which Blizzard had for them.

There's certainly more of a connection between pandaren monks and monks in real life, then Deathwing and a rotten tomato, either way. Your examples are terrible and don't help your point whatsoever.
    Didn't mean to offend you or anything. The whole point I'm trying to make is that the broad definition of a monk is someone who practices a form of religious or philosophical asceticism, which the WoW monks really don't, so I feel calling them monks doesn't suit them. If all you can respond to me with is "blizzard's word is law, fantasy is fantasy", then I'm afraid we don't have much to discuss.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2012-12-26 at 07:27 AM.

...then I'm afraid we don't have much to discuss.
    Precisely.

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers there. The whole point I'm trying to make is that the broad definition of a monk is someone who practices a form of religious or philosophical asceticism, which the WoW monks really don't, so I feel calling them monks doesn't suit them. If all you can respond to me with is "blizzard's word is law, fantasy is fantasy", then I'm afraid we don't have much to discuss.
    Yeah I don't think you understand how this works...

The WoW lore fits the WoW game.

The real world fits the real world.

Hope that helps..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurwyn View Post

Hope that helps..
    Inspiration for fantasy comes from real life, yes? They didn't call paladins paladins for no reason, they call paladins paladins because paladins were the holy warriors of charlemagne, which are similar to the actual fantasy paladin minus the holy magic and what not. I'm just trying to say that a different name would have suited WoW monks than just calling them "monks". Why must I get so much hostility over this?

And before anyone responds to me again with "blizzard can do whatever they want", I will say "I KNOW", I was not commanding blizzard to change the damn name, I was simply expressing how I felt about it.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2012-12-26 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Treebloom View Post
    Precisely.
    QFT /thread.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurwyn View Post

Hope that helps..
    And yet some people are ignorant of the fact that all WoW lore is firmly rooted within the realm of traditional fantasy - I sincerely hope you are all aware that Blizzard did not invent a single one of the archetypes that you play as or fight against in their games.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2012-12-26 at 07:33 AM.