Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    You are trying to trivialize an entirely new system by glossing over the details. This list is a high level list of what needs to be done...You need to be familiar with the systems involved to make a more indepth list

1) you need somewhere to put this data, you suggested wherever achievements are stored. I wouldn't put it literally in the same DB
    2) you need a way of removing an item from the local realm and inserting it into this new system
    --Get Item data from local realm (select field1,...fieldn from someitemdbtable(s) where item_instance_id=###)//May already exist in some form....may just be making it available to this new system.
    --CreateItemInBoAB(field1,...fieldn)
    --DeleteItem(item_instance_id) //probably already exists, but needs to be available to new system
    3) you need a way of removing an item from this new system and creating it on the realm.
    --simular to 2
    4) checks to make sure if this fails for whatever reason you don't get things like duplicate items/transferring non heirloom items etc.
    --things like making sure the item was created in BoAB before destroying it on the local realm what to do when it can be created but not destroyed...etc
    And? How anything on this list is remotely NOT trivial? Not to mention that most DBs in existence can handle this for you almost automatically and I have EXTREMELY high doubt that even if Blizzard have custom DB solution, those methods were not implemented in it years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by rowaasr13 View Post
    On my previous job (BMMORPG, incidentally), my first assignment was to implement currency exchange auction with cross-server support. Took two weeks. And yes, I inherited exactly 8+ years old and very convoluted code initially written by two project founders that were good "visioneers", but quite the mediocre programmers. On my last work, my first assignment as a training was to make changes to live project that serves 600m daily impressions in Japan. Somehow I managed it and still didn't get Nobel's prize from this "obviously impossible and inhuman" task. Just believe me (you have no issue with believing, right). This IS stuff that gets done each and every day.
    LOL no one said it was impossible. Just not as simple as writing a query and BAM it works!. Even with your "2 weeks" this is obviously true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Laurellin - Deathknight

LOL no one said it was impossible. Just not as simple as writing a query and BAM it works!. Even with your "2 weeks" this is obviously true.
    You are making it sounds so hard though, why??? It is a trivial task. Obviously it's more than 2 lines of code, but it requires little to no thought (the hard part of programmers profession).

Just believe me (you have no issue with believing, right).
    Of course not, I also truly believe that they are lying to us just so we will keep paying for server transfers.

And? How anything on this list is remotely NOT trivial? Not to mention that most DBs in existence can handle this for you almost automatically and I have EXTREMELY high doubt that even if Blizzard have custom DB solution, those methods were not implemented in it years ago.
    For me, something trivial takes minutes or an hour to implement. That is something I can do because its a good idea. But if trivial for you is something that can be completed in weeks...than our issue is what we define as trivial.

---------- Post added 2012-12-26 at 04:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    You are making it sounds so hard though, why??? It is a trivial task. Obviously it's more than 2 lines of code, but it requires little to no thought (the hard part of programmers profession).
    I didn't say it was hard. But more involved. Building a new system always requires thought.

For me, something trivial takes minutes or an hour to implement. That is something I can do because its a good idea. But if trivial for you is something that can be completed in weeks...than our issue is what we define as trivial.
    It would take about 2 weeks because it does not rely solely on you, but you have to wait for artists to finish the artwork (if you reuse, this becomes a joke), UI designers to make up their mind about where to put what button, game designers to make up their mind about how to access the feature. In fact, your job is laughably easy, but you have to put up with others, who only like to hassle over details (personal experience).

Implementing is probably fastest part in itself. It's QA that really takes time. And yes, 1 programmer + 1 tester spending a week on a trivial feature is quite the norm in industry. They generally have at least dozen more people to work on other stuff meanwhile and programmer could be already working on next thing when QA guy works on testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    I'd like to say a few things to you but I'd get infracted.

It doesn't matter if it isn't Blizzard's code. That code shows exactly how WoW works. It doesn't matter if it was made by me, you, your dog, my neighbor, Kim Jong Un.

It is how WoW works. Did you understand or you want me to slow down (I'm almost stopping)?
    No it shows you how they THINK wow servers work.

So.. in other words, make a new table (or a couple of columns) per player account and use good old OOP. Bright! Even you managed to do it! Blizzard is just hiding behind excuses.
    I'm not hiding behind anything, it's just not as simple as some are trying to make it sound. But quite honestly, it just doesn't sound like a high priority feature. It is an ok idea, but it isn't needed.

I'm not hiding behind anything, it's just not as simple as some are trying to make it sound. But quite honestly, it just doesn't sound like a high priority feature. It is an ok idea, but it isn't needed.
    We all get that, but we are upset about Blizzard representatives presenting it as "technically impossible at this point".

On my previous job (BMMORPG, incidentally), my first assignment was to implement currency exchange auction with cross-server support. Took two weeks.
    Oh, and speaking of "agendas", project owner requested this feature to be taken offline just a half-year later, because "he had a hunch" that letting people trade grindable in-game currency for real-money based currency was cutting in profits. But of course Blizzard have no such agendas, they're pure white angels selflessly slaving for our enjoyment alone.

Because we know we could do it better. It is a simple fact. Black magic again though, I guess. Nonetheless, your post contributes nothing.
    It contributes as much as all of these e-brains posts do. Jack and shit. I'm sure all of blizzard's programmers are trolling these posts to get all of your coding ideas. /rollseyes
    The only fact in this thread is that there a bunch of wanna be smarties who think they could do something better. Spare us all the nonsense. At the end of the day your ideas along with mine or anybody elses is going to get nowhere. Don't like that you can't send heirlooms to another server and it means that much to you? Then don't play the game. I just solved the problem for you and it didn't take a single line of code.

It would take about 2 weeks because it does not rely solely on you, but you have to wait for artists to finish the artwork (if you reuse, this becomes a joke), UI designers to make up their mind about where to put what button, game designers to make up their mind about how to access the feature. In fact, your job is laughably easy, but you have to put up with others, who only like to hassle over details (personal experience).
    Sorry I do it all, I don't wait for anyone =P But thanks cause you just pointed out how it is even less trivial because you now have multiple teams to with different priorities and schedules etc. I never said it hard, its just simply not trivial. You may consider whatever portion you have to contribute to trivial, that doesn't make the entire task trivial.

We all get that, but we are upset about Blizzard representatives presenting it as "technically impossible at this point".
    "Hurdle" doesn't mean impossible, just "higher than we want to jump right now".

Lots of people pay money to transfer with heirlooms to either use them or send them to the other faction on their desired server. It takes very little effort for them to make an account wide flag for the purchasing of heirloom items from a vendor but it will cost them lots of money from lost transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by Marema View Post
    It contributes as much as all of these e-brains posts do. Jack and shit. I'm sure all of blizzard's programmers are trolling these posts to get all of your coding ideas. /rollseyes
    The only fact in this thread is that there a bunch of wanna be smarties who think they could do something better. Spare us all the nonsense. At the end of the day your ideas along with mine or anybody elses is going to get nowhere. Don't like that you can't send heirlooms to another server and it means that much to you? Then don't play the game. I just solved the problem for you and it didn't take a single line of code.
    I don't think you understood the point of this "argument" at all. See my post above.

Quote Originally Posted by Marema View Post
    I'd be in serious despair if I suddenly found out that they really need outside inspiration for such simple things.

They said there are technical hurdles. Which would be true. You just don't like that it isn't a priority to them.

Yes, imagine that! MMO developers have an agenda besides technical hurdles. While I worked on one, our creative director requested quite the number of changes to inconvenience players and force them to use micro-transactions because (damn, I feel like it is really day of revelations today!) he wanted money in his pocket, not player's comfort.
    Well that is a complete shock to me

Point being that wow players in general are some of the most spoiled, self-etitled, MEMEME individuals ever, so I can't really blame blizzard for just slapping the "tech issue" label on specific things.

Another example is server merger due to low populace.., there's no technical difficulty, but it's a lot of lost revenue to them, so naturally it's not going to happen.
    In specific to allowing everything to be cross realm, I'd hate it also if that ever came to pass.., because it opens up to enormous exploitations of everything in the game, meaning they have to have some safe-guards in place first, and every one with half the iq of a ping pong ball can see this type of "feature" generating landslide complaints also.., because;

WoW players in general are extremely self-entitled spoiled little cunts with no sense of reality or others around them!

I don't think you understood the point of this "argument" at all. See my post above.
    There is no point to this "argument" at all, and that is the point! 200 posts on something that hasn't changed and will probably never change. But hey, lets keep clogging up the internet with more useless drivel! I'm bored at work so I have a few more hours yet.

edit: I'm the 200th useless post in an otherwise useless thread! I win.