Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
3
11
12
13
14
LastLast
  1. #241
    Quote Originally Posted by Iso View Post
    When you don't have a clue about what you're arguing about, don't argue about it. You'll look like an idiot, but it's too late for that!
    That's precisely what you are doing.

    The network code, game engine and what not is very very old, it's perfectly understandable you can't just strap onto all these random features and hit the go button.
    Yes, you can.

    And just because you do know basic SQL, does not mean the answer is a query here and there, cause it makes sense to you.
    Check thread for short list of my experiences. 15+ years, country scale realtime highload projects (and when I say highload, that means starting from 10m requests per day at very least). Unlike you, I know what I'm talking about.

    Fuck, at last BMMO it took month to COMPLETELY convert entire cross-server banking system for all players from custom no-SQL solution to new, better organized storage, seamlessly supporting both formats and converting it on the fly just as player accessed it for the first time and you're telling me that transfering one measly item is anywhere even close in complexity? Or... even harder?
    Last edited by rowaasr13; 2012-12-27 at 01:40 AM.

  2. #242
    Elemental Lord Baar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    8,661
    Quote Originally Posted by rowaasr13 View Post
    That's precisely what you are doing.

    Yes, you can.

    Check thread for short list of my experiences. 15+ years, country scale realtime highload projects (and when I say highload, that means starting from 10m requests per day at very least). Unlike you, I know what I'm talking about.

    Fuck, at last BMMO it took month to COMPLETELY convert entire cross-server banking system for all players from custom no-SQL solution to new, better organized storage, seamlessly supporting both formats and converting it on the fly just as player accessed it for the first time and you're telling me that transfering one measly item is anywhere even close in complexity? Or... even harder?

    http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/index.html


    Who is BMMO and how many accounts are we dealing with there?

  3. #243
    Are you suggesting, by any chance, that Blizzard is the single good job in the entire world for good programmer?

    Who is BMMO and how many accounts are we dealing with there?
    I don't have access to actual stats right now since I left last April, but I remember last active accounts (logged in last month) dump was about 150k. Right now it goes just half as active as Russian server of "Perfect World" and beats "Allods Online", according to 3rd party counters.
    Last edited by rowaasr13; 2012-12-27 at 02:17 AM.

  4. #244
    Though I know nothing about technical, programming, or basically anything that has to do with servers, if achievements can be tracked across battle.net, one solution may be to record/note what pieces players have bought so far on their main's realm, and have vendors selling BoA gear at starting zones or 1c. Like I stated, I don't know if that would be possible to record what people have bought or not, however I would think that would be an easier solution that attempting to deal with the technical issues of mailing items across realm.

  5. #245
    Pandaren Monk Otiswhitaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,833
    How come it's so far fetched to believe that Blizzard just doesn't really care that much, and is just giving a stock answer until they eventually get around to caring about a, relatively speaking, minor issue? It's not like companies don't do that :x They all do :x

  6. #246
    Quote Originally Posted by Knaar View Post
    My guess is the OP dont really know much about programming....
    Its not as simple as just write a line that say copy this to server X and remove item from server Y. That "line" will most likely ends up a couple hundred lines of codes if not thousand. But thats only for the transfert... Next they have to include this codes in the game itself and that can lead to mannnnnnys issues.

    So yeah, in short, the biggest part is programming it but that takes a hell lot of time.
    I never did any game programming, just basic stuff and it would sometime takes me dozens of hours just to find a bug over a 50 pages long prog... i cant even imagine how big wow's code is :')
    I just doesn't need to be mailed... they could use the same technical solutions as mounts and pets... those where mailable once.... now that are shared cross-realm.
    Why is it impossible to do this with heirlooms?

  7. #247
    Quote Originally Posted by Synstir View Post
    I just doesn't need to be mailed... they could use the same technical solutions as mounts and pets... those where mailable once.... now that are shared cross-realm.
    Why is it impossible to do this with heirlooms?
    20 euro/dollar makes it impossible
    The trick of selling a PvP-MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

  8. #248
    Pit Lord Asmodias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    2,294
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    I know that Blizzard can do it, and it really isn't a technical limitation. It's basically no different than account-wide pets/mounts. I mean technically, just like a mount an heirloom is just a line of code. It's what the game interprets the line of code doing once it is used that makes it an actual item. Just have the server send data to the recipient server letting it know to add x line of code to x's mailbox, afterwards removing x line of code from x's inventory. It's obviously more complicated than that but they can do it.

    No, the real issue is the time vs importance factor. They just don't see it as a priority; to which I might be inclined to agree.
    I was going to go in to the differences between the way mounts/pets are handled vs actual gear... but then I saw your last sentence. That particular line is very key to this whole issue. Account wide gear presents challenges and Blizzard doesn't want to implement a half-assed system to handle it (read that as, they would prefer to get the system right the first time and not have to go back and do it again). Then you have to take Priority in to account.

    Look at it this way. Blizzard has a current work around for moving heirloom gear... Server Transfer. Sure, many of us don't want to pay to do it and that is our choice. It doesn't change the fact that there is a current way to do it. Because there is a way to move gear from one place to the next, the priority of creating a new system to handle it goes way way down. It becomes "wish list" so to speak. Hell, you could call it Backlog if you want (those of you in the industry will understand what it means)


    Uber Casual | Avatar and Signature by Shyama

  9. #249
    Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    Sadly, this is one of the things that upset me most about WoW, the slow patch cycles, the lack of post max-level content in Cataclysm. It's when I just gave up and lost faith in WoW. The promises that became "let-downs" (eg path of titans), the seeming inability to fix seemingly simple things (character models, graphics). The excuses about "not having enough resources" - which is friggin' ludicrous.

    Judging by my new experiences, some other mmo's just get on with it and "do it" in a hotfix or a content patch. I love WoW, but just can't stand to be treated like a person who should be grateful for anything I get given - and not a paying customer who pays for service. I have experienced both now and I truly understand and appreciate the difference.
    Someone clearly doesn't pay attention to the front page. The SECOND content patch of MoP will hit in a couple of months, this is exactly what we were promised and they are sticking to it. They have also hotfixed a lot of stuff since MoP has been released.

    The main reason why they aren't working on this is because of the revenue it generates. Lazy players always opt for the easy option, lazy players with jobs or some kind of income will spend the money to transfer an alt with the heirlooms. It's good business, and personally I don't really care about it.

  10. #250
    The Insane Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Twitch & Youtube
    Posts
    18,654
    Until Blizz creates "Battle.net achievements" and adds an interplay between those achievements and WoW, it won't happen.

    Then buying an heirloom triggers a B-Net Achievement that allows you to get it free from the Achievement Item vendor.
    Unsubscribed 3/10/2014 - 8/14/2014.
    "Times change."

    Beware the claims of yearly expansions. It's not more hype more often, it's paying more for less. Fewer tiers, no more new levels, no more new races/classes, but an ever-increasing price tag....

  11. #251
    Impossible or technical difficulties??? no, I believe Blizz already had solution a long time ago. if they do then mean less peoples will use pay Server Transfer.

    so Blizz rather us to use pay Server Transfer.

  12. #252
    The Lightbringer TEHPALLYTANK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Texas(I wish it were CO)
    Posts
    3,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Beouf View Post
    Impossible or technical difficulties??? no, I believe Blizz already had solution a long time ago. if they do then mean less peoples will use pay Server Transfer.

    so Blizz rather us to use pay Server Transfer.
    That is called paranoia. Do you really think they are making lots of money off of the few people who transfer characters for the sole purpose of getting their heirlooms to a new server?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

  13. #253
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Until Blizz creates "Battle.net achievements" and adds an interplay between those achievements and WoW, it won't happen.

    Then buying an heirloom triggers a B-Net Achievement that allows you to get it free from the Achievement Item vendor.
    What? You do realize that your achievements are cross-server already, right? I'm looking at a character I made on an "alt server" and she's got the same achievement points, access to most of my titles and the parts of Loremaster I've unlocked. If there was a vendor that simply checked if your account had turned on "Polished Breastplate of Valor", then account-wide heirloom licenses shouldn't be a problem at all.
    Praise the Quest Writers for they give life to otherwise boring expansions.

  14. #254
    Yeah bros it's so hard for Blizzard to implement cross server items with hundreds to thousands of workers currently under employment that can program a shit system for a horrible game like Bli$$ard and Activi$zion. Of course you retards always slurp up every turd that Blizzard shits for you, just like how PvP in D3 was scrapped because it didn't meet their 'standards', aka they couldn't figure out how to jew you people out of more money.

    Stay free fucktards.

  15. #255
    Quote Originally Posted by Brofister View Post
    Yeah bros it's so hard for Blizzard to implement cross server items with hundreds to thousands of workers currently under employment that can program a shit system for a horrible game like Bli$$ard and Activi$zion. Of course you retards always slurp up every turd that Blizzard shits for you, just like how PvP in D3 was scrapped because it didn't meet their 'standards', aka they couldn't figure out how to jew you people out of more money.

    Stay free fucktards.
    CHECKMATE 10 fucking CHAR

  16. #256
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    That is called paranoia. Do you really think they are making lots of money off of the few people who transfer characters for the sole purpose of getting their heirlooms to a new server?
    Bullshit,the number 1 mmo,the one making the most profit in the market can't make sure a bunch of items are available on all your characters account-wide?
    When they say making new models takes a lot of time and the number of people qualified to work on those are limited,I almost believe them.
    But this really...

  17. #257
    Guise remember that time that Blizzard cannot into crediting items into your account and having them flagged to your account oh yeah I did. Bros account wide pets, we can do that, account wide items, guise that's too hard

  18. #258
    Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    Someone clearly doesn't pay attention to the front page. The SECOND content patch of MoP will hit in a couple of months, this is exactly what we were promised and they are sticking to it. They have also hotfixed a lot of stuff since MoP has been released.

    The main reason why they aren't working on this is because of the revenue it generates. Lazy players always opt for the easy option, lazy players with jobs or some kind of income will spend the money to transfer an alt with the heirlooms. It's good business, and personally I don't really care about it.
    Yeah clearly someone is going to keep checking the front page after 8 years not keeping promises. Keep drinkin the coolaid

  19. #259
    Guise we've programmed cross server raids, cross server account pets, but we just can't seem to crack cross server items, what's going on you guise has our outsourced Korean labor ran out of fresh ideas

  20. #260
    The Lightbringer TEHPALLYTANK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Texas(I wish it were CO)
    Posts
    3,310
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    Bullshit,the number 1 mmo,the one making the most profit in the market can't make sure a bunch of items are available on all your characters account-wide?
    When they say making new models takes a lot of time and the number of people qualified to work on those are limited,I almost believe them.
    But this really...
    ...How is that even remotely relevant to my question?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •