Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ...
7
8
9
10
11
... LastLast
  1. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    How is that not trivial?

    On deposit you check if the item is BoA, if it's not BoA return false. Boom, now depositing works.

    Now, to get the list of all items in this bank:

    "SELECT field1, field2, fieldx FROM account_wide_bank WHERE id_account = ?"

    Replace the ? with the id of your battle.net account. And that's it. Now you can retrieve all items from your account wide bank.

    Now just make an UI for it and it's done.
    LOL congrats on sql...but you need a lot more then that.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-26 at 04:18 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by rowaasr13 View Post
    It is exactly the same solution that was in game for years. How it is suddenly not good for anything else? That's also exactly how cross-faction sending works right now, so why cross-realm have to be any different?
    Cause the 2 things are very different? And does that work outside of the RBG or LFR instance? I honestly don't talk to people outside my realm that I'm not RealID friends with.
    Last edited by gamingmuscle; 2012-12-26 at 04:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Laurellin - Deathknight

  2. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    LOL congrats on sql...but you need a lot more then that.
    What else do you need? You make a query, get the data, put them in an array/list/map/whatever and list them in your UI.

    Oh ya I forgot, you need 3 voodoo dolls too. Silly me.

  3. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by Salech View Post
    but Cross Realm Zones wasn't technical limited?, i see, only sending an item is hard to do. what about Real ID, they said that was impossible too (well almost impossible) they made that too, i really can't see how sending an item is more technical than those 2 i just mentioned.
    You can see and play with another player, but aside from conjured items, or an item they had loot rights to, you CANNOT trade via CRZ.

    The issue becomes, in a VERY general sense, this:

    All servers are not even housed at the same location. The mail system is not designed to send mail between servers. They would have to implement a whole new program for the mail system, to allow for cross-realm mailing, and it would not be easy. You have to figure it needs to verify a few things to be able to do it:

    1: Is the character on your account?
    2: Is the name spelled EXACTLY right?
    2b: A contingency to ensure that should it be attempted to mailed to an incorrect name, that it can give as quick a return back to you for the error.
    3: Making sure it is a speedy process (you can forget instant most likely).
    4: Additional details, functions, and limitations that I can't think of after being awake for 15min.

    @Keilith: Diablo 3's game engine is designed ENTIRELY differently, with all your characters stored in one location (per region), unlike WoW's that are, just in the US, spread across multiple. It was designed with a shared stash in-mind. WoW never was designed with any form of cross-realm functionality/communication at all, and all that has come YEARS after release (Anyone remember how long server transfers used to take?).
    Games are not necessarily "easier" today. You are just a better player.
    It takes more now to impress many gamers than it did 2-5 years ago, because so much has already been seen and done.
    Many players expect to be wow'd with every release of a beloved franchise.
    These are generally NOT the fault of the developers, but the fault of many players over-hyping and/or setting expectations too high.

  4. #164
    Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    Cause the 2 things are very different?
    How so on frontend side? It is same operation from player: send item to another character, so it's natural that it should have same UI regardless if you send mail on same server or not. Do you use different mail clients to send mail to different servers or what?

  5. #165
    Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    LOL congrats on sql...but you need a lot more then that.[COLOR="red"]
    Care to elaborate? All other functionality code needed is trivial.

  6. #166
    Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    LOL congrats on sql...but you need a lot more then that.
    It's the same principle. I never worked in Blizzard, but EVERY MMO I dealt with have SQL access to database for the GMs. I see no reason to why Blizzard would choose another way.
    To spend more, have to get special equipment only for that, when there is a reliable and cheap way available?

    The gaming code can be different but as the programmers in this thread have been pointing, the same principles apply. ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING starts with zeros and ones. It's just a matter of translation, but the structure remains the same.

    And today's Battle.net already have the hard part implemented, they can't hide behind the excuse they used 4 years ago, when they advertise they are over that technical difficulties on the other front.

  7. #167
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post
    You can see and play with another player, but aside from conjured items, or an item they had loot rights to, you CANNOT trade via CRZ.
    Because there's ADDITIONAL check in place to forbid doing so, not because you need to add something for it to work.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post
    All servers are not even housed at the same location. The mail system is not designed to send mail between servers. They would have to implement a whole new program for the mail system, to allow for cross-realm mailing, and it would not be easy. You have to figure it needs to verify a few things to be able to do it:

    1: Is the character on your account?
    2: Is the name spelled EXACTLY right?
    2b: A contingency to ensure that should it be attempted to mailed to an incorrect name, that it can give as quick a return back to you for the error.
    3: Making sure it is a speedy process (you can forget instant most likely).
    4: Additional details, functions, and limitations that I can't think of after being awake for 15min.
    1. Single DB query.
    2. Single laughable simple DB query, because exact match is easiest thing to do ever.
    3. Don't even start transaction if two previous checks didn't succeed.
    4. And some magic stuff you mortals will never understand so anything you say is automatically invalid!

    Point is, any good programmer CAN think of it and solve it. It's what we do every day.
    Last edited by rowaasr13; 2012-12-26 at 04:29 PM.

  8. #168
    Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    LOL congrats on sql...but you need a lot more then that.
    yea I know...20 euro/dollar
    The trick of selling a PvP-MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

  9. #169
    Quote Originally Posted by rowaasr13 View Post
    Because there's ADDITIONAL check in place to forbid doing so, not because you need to add something for it to work.


    1. Single DB query.
    2. Single laughable simple DB query, because exact match is easiest thing to do ever.
    3. Don't even start transaction if two previous checks didn't succeed.
    4. And some magic stuff you mortals will never understand so anything you say is automatically invalid!

    Point is, any good programmer CAN think of it and solve it. It what's we do every day.
    And any good programmer WOULD know it's just not that simple when you are dealing with 8+ year old code and infrastructure.

  10. #170
    Quote Originally Posted by Idoru View Post
    And any good programmer WOULD know it's just not that simple when you are dealing with 8+ year old code and infrastructure.
    And any good programmer knows the meaning of OOP.

  11. #171
    They could simply make it an archievement and provide an npc who sells them for free like the challenge mode gear
    archievements are accountwide so would work without any coding

    the core reason they had no solution for this is more likely
    "give us money for server transfer"
    Last edited by bt4; 2012-12-26 at 04:37 PM.

  12. #172
    Quote Originally Posted by bt4 View Post
    They could simply make it an archievement and provide an npc who sells them for free like the challenge mode gear
    archievements are accountwide so would work without any coding

    the core reason they had no solution for this is more likely
    "give us money for server transfer lol"
    Well, to be fair it'd be a problem with weapons and trinkets because you could buy one and get 2 or more.

  13. #173
    Quote Originally Posted by Idoru View Post
    And any good programmer WOULD know it's just not that simple when you are dealing with 8+ year old code and infrastructure.
    On my previous job (BMMORPG, incidentally), my first assignment was to implement currency exchange auction with cross-server support. Took two weeks. And yes, I inherited exactly 8+ years old and very convoluted code initially written by two project founders that were good "visioneers", but quite the mediocre programmers. On my last work, my first assignment as a training was to make changes to live project that serves 600m daily impressions in Japan. Somehow I managed it and still didn't get Nobel's prize from this "obviously impossible and inhuman" task. Just believe me (you have no issue with believing, right). This IS stuff that gets done each and every day.
    Last edited by rowaasr13; 2012-12-26 at 04:41 PM.

  14. #174
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    What else do you need? You make a query, get the data, put them in an array/list/map/whatever and list them in your UI.

    Oh ya I forgot, you need 3 voodoo dolls too. Silly me.
    You are trying to trivialize an entirely new system by glossing over the details. This list is a high level list of what needs to be done...You need to be familiar with the systems involved to make a more indepth list

    1) you need somewhere to put this data, you suggested wherever achievements are stored. I wouldn't put it literally in the same DB
    2) you need a way of removing an item from the local realm and inserting it into this new system
    --Get Item data from local realm (select field1,...fieldn from someitemdbtable(s) where item_instance_id=###)//May already exist in some form....may just be making it available to this new system.
    --CreateItemInBoAB(field1,...fieldn)
    --DeleteItem(item_instance_id) //probably already exists, but needs to be available to new system
    3) you need a way of removing an item from this new system and creating it on the realm.
    --simular to 2
    4) checks to make sure if this fails for whatever reason you don't get things like duplicate items/transferring non heirloom items etc.
    --things like making sure the item was created in BoAB before destroying it on the local realm what to do when it can be created but not destroyed...etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Laurellin - Deathknight

  15. #175
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    Well, to be fair it'd be a problem with weapons and trinkets because you could buy one and get 2 or more.
    if you really want them to buy everything just make an equipgear archievement. Like the ones for full epic equiped. Would force them to buy both, hell you could use the archievement as currency so that it vanishes by buying the item. Wouldn't be hard to code either.

  16. #176
    Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    You are trying to trivialize an entirely new system by glossing over the details. This list is a high level list of what needs to be done...You need to be familiar with the systems involved to make a more indepth list

    1) you need somewhere to put this data, you suggested wherever achievements are stored. I wouldn't put it literally in the same DB
    2) you need a way of removing an item from the local realm and inserting it into this new system
    --Get Item data from local realm (select field1,...fieldn from someitemdbtable(s) where item_instance_id=###)//May already exist in some form....may just be making it available to this new system.
    --CreateItemInBoAB(field1,...fieldn)
    --DeleteItem(item_instance_id) //probably already exists, but needs to be available to new system
    3) you need a way of removing an item from this new system and creating it on the realm.
    --simular to 2
    4) checks to make sure if this fails for whatever reason you don't get things like duplicate items/transferring non heirloom items etc.
    --things like making sure the item was created in BoAB before destroying it on the local realm what to do when it can be created but not destroyed...etc
    So.. in other words, make a new table (or a couple of columns) per player account and use good old OOP. Bright! Even you managed to do it! Blizzard is just hiding behind excuses.

  17. #177
    It's good to see lots of WoW programmers on here offering suggestions on how they will personally fix the heirloom issue by the time 5.2 drops.

    Oh wait.

  18. #178
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Muskegon, MI
    Posts
    374
    It's a lot simpler of a thing for them to program then they would tell us. They've created the possibility of inviting players from across other realms, immediately transferring one of the two players to the other's realm as quickly as accepting the group invite. Mail is a lot easier than that. You can send something from 1 character to another on the same realm in less than a second... The idea of sending it to another realm is as easy as taking the information from one realm and applying it to another toon on another realm. It would work the same way that the satchel system works when leveling a toon: if your bags are full, it gets put in the mailbox, and you just go pick it up as if it was "looted" from the mailbox.

  19. #179
    looms issue in reallife words:
    u have 2 containers
    1# glass ball filled with water, it has gold fish in it
    2# glass ball filled with water, it has "castle" in it

    what u want to do is, to send 1# gold fish into 2# glass ball so it would have "castle". keep in mind those r BALLS, they r closed sphares (hey dont ask me how the fish gets oxygen, not my buissness). SO how do u place gold fish in the 2nd tank without breaking the tank, without spilling water, without making life or other fish in 1# tank miserable due to ur acivities?

    on topic, the only reason i see them dont want to do this, is due to paid realm x-fer. PPL saying that x-fering item over realms wouldnt be instant. Hello? have u ever done LFD/LFR? Ppl char data gets transfered to so called "instance servers" all the time. How long do u have to w8? days? months? or maybe less then 1sec?

    Only issue with mail now is that, it doesnt have server adress field. By default every mail is send to ur server and u cant change that. So would have to alter mail ui to have new field contaning it. A slight rewriting of the mailbox code (prolly just adding few new methods). They dont need to write the connectivity/x-fer code, its already written, they can simply reuse the "server->instace server->(orgin) server" or CRZ related "TECH".

    Its funny when someone says he doesnt have req tech to do something. Imagine a stoneworker saying he cant make a triangle cuz he only has the technology to make squares.
    Last edited by hir0shima; 2012-12-26 at 05:15 PM.

  20. #180
    Quote Originally Posted by Marema View Post
    It's good to see lots of WoW programmers on here offering suggestions on how they will personally fix the heirloom issue by the time 5.2 drops.

    Oh wait.
    Because we know we could do it better. It is a simple fact. Black magic again though, I guess. Nonetheless, your post contributes nothing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •