Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Ill be honest, I think it has less to do with technical limitations ( although as old as the original game engine is at this point I'm sure there are plenty ) and more to do with them still debating how they want it done. Do they want it mailed or would they rather move it through an account wide bank? Would making it be achievement based be a better solution or would they like a different functionality?

So lets say they decide they want to do more than just make a drop down window, or a system that requires you to use an outside website, but would rather do it through mail or an account wide bank. Ok so now they are sitting there looking at both options and realizing if they are going to take the time to change what they currently have for one item set, they might as well completely overhaul the entire sub system. Well now that you have decided on that you are talking about a pretty decent amount of work, and its something you've got to work in with the other things you have scheduled to include.

Alright so now all of those things are handled and you've got it ready to go for testing. Now comes the fun part of making sure its not buggy and people aren't losing items that will cost you CM time to fix. You also need to make sure its not set up so that some uses it to dupe items or because its brought in with an entire system overhaul that it doesn't throw server economies and such off.

Its just my personal opinion, but I think its something they want to solve through the CRZ functionality, they just haven't gotten it done yet. I have no doubt they want to get it done at some point because its obvious customers want it, its just a matter of getting to it and getting it in how they want it.

I'm an altaholic myself, and while I would love to see it implemented sooner rather than latter, leveling new characters on a new server isn't exactly that hard either. I personally get far more frustrated with having to start at zero gold again ( although thats not as hard to deal with as it once was either )
    Last edited by Armourboy; 2012-12-26 at 12:30 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    In what language?
    I have worked for a multi national media company for close to 25 years, we are a small team (about 14 people).

Our last project was a global MIS system for workflow management and billing.

Our current project is an asset management system for sites to manage their creative assets.

Both these have been in Java/Hibernate/MS SQL back end with a Drupal web UI.

We current run a Scrum development framework (we used to be very waterfall).

Back in the day my first project with the first iteration of the MIS system in MS Access.

We have had backlog entries for the global MIS system for over 4 years which we might be working on at some point but other priorites are more important.

Not sure why I am having to type out my CV to point out that we have no idea how wow development works.

I have many many times been stuck behind "technical limitations" on something that sounds "really easy".

Blizzard is poor and barely gets by with the money they get from subs. Asking them to do more work on the game is greedy. Cut them some slack.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilzar View Post
    I have worked for a multi national media company for close to 25 years, we are a small team (about 14 people).

Our current project is an asset management system for sites to manage their creative assets.

Back in the day my first project with the first iteration of the MIS system in MS Access.

We have had backlog entries for the global MIS system for over 4 years which we might be working on at some point but other priorites are more important.

Not sure why I am having to type out my CV to point out that we have no idea how wow development works.

I have many many times been stuck behind "technical limitations" on something that sounds "really easy".
    I already linked you how WoW works.

OP, if you think that programming is so easy, why don't you start your own gaming company?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Hemet was behind Garrosh's escape and time travel just so he could hunt big game on old Draenor.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcrazypenguin View Post
    regarding mailing of heirlooms to other realms the blue response is basically `unlikely it'll be implemented during Mists of Pandaria as there're numerous technical hurdles that need to be overcome first in order to happen.`

How many more things are they going to blame `numerous technical hurdles` as the reason not to do, it seems like its getting like a standard blizzard response to many things, I mean are their staff poorly skilled and trained or something? because it seems to me theres a hell of a lot they blame on `technical hurdles`.....the solution would be to get people who know what they are doing more on the technical side surly? unless such a response is just put out as a `fob you off` excuse as I rather suspect it is.
    Personally i think its because they dont have staff available to do such a thing in a timely manner.
    Blizzard is the 2'nd or 3'rd biggest game company in the world, but they have the least employees vs income etc...
    So its just slack from their side, they would rather make pokémon and what not...
    5.2 looks promising though, from WW Monk pov atleast!

10+ Year Old Account
    just make a bank for heirlooms only that all your realms have acess to, it dosent have to be sent by mail =P

Quote Originally Posted by Quilzar View Post

Too bad I restrained myself from writing "I guess you're that wanna-be MS Access guy who only able to do what framework allows" before you already wrote it yourself. Get back to your visual programming and stop treating code like black magic. 'You need to learn school "Blizzard code" to be able to discuss its arcane spells!' JFYI, development style or framewroks used have zero relation to this particular feature, unless you somehow insist that Blizzard programmer too can only copy/paste framework solutions like you do.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like the defense of Blizzard going on here under the guise of "technological limitations." You don't mail items anyway. If you can chat between realms, you should be able to mail between realms. Mails works like: Send item, item is deleted, receive mail, item is generated. You could mail an item to another server because it would be that new server generating the new, identical item and assigning it a new item ID for the realm. This occurs anyway when you faction change. You're not taking your old items with you. You're leaving behind all your items and having new ones generated by the system for your new character in the new faction when you get to the other side.

Honestly, they are making excuses. And I am a huge Blizzard fan and will defend them on anything I think they need defending on.

Heirlooms are a simple fix, no more then any other they've done. As people mentioned before, the pet/mount tab alone is the answer to the problem. You don't even need to mail it then - it's already there.

The only 'problem' is then you can have multiple characters with the same gear. But who cares about that, honestly? Its not game breaking in the slightest, and might actually improve some people's experience to level a Paladin and Warrior at the same time.

Of course it also probably means removing enchantments from Heirlooms. Which I think is worth the price.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Do you have any idea the tech required to do such a thing? Cause I sure as hell don't. The simple answer is how much work does it take versus how useful it is. It is NOT a priority, they have a lot more stuff to worry about than people who want to save a few hours leveling alts.
    I do. Before the unified Battle.net was almost ridiculous to think that. Thing is that the way Battle.net work today that is no more a valid excuse. They could very well put mailing of ANYTHING between realms with a simple implementation of extra mail tools. They just don't want to. They even have the delay in mail delivering, they could set to pace the data transfers between realms.

We today have only FOUR data centers, with an unmatched, in any moment of their history, connection between them. And the amount of data exchanged between those data centers TODAY is far superior than mail could add.

Now, really, believing in "technical hurdles" at the age of continental Raid/dungeon finder, Cross-realm Zones and Battletag/RealID groups, is being too naive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Character models and graphics aren't simple things. Do you know how much work it is to make a new model? Or how much work it is to make a new model that is compatible with all the old items?
    That's not really the issue. The big thing is: How to introduce new char models w/o causing the "shitstorm of all shitstorms". I remember back in BC, they changed something about the eyes of human females. -> The forums were full of QQ and hate.

Then they changed the druid stuff, boy people were angry.

Personally, I feel uneasy myself about the thought of new character models. Will I like them? Will they be able to catch and reproduce, what made me create the char this exact way in the first place?

@Heirlooms: We currently have no tech at all, that lets us move items in our account from server to server, so new tech would be needed. Also it would be needed to implement it in a comfortable and non intrusive way.
    Sure, they could send you to the battle.net page, let you send your heirlooms via web site, similar to the distribution of blizzard shop pets back in the day. But that would be awkward.

Frankly I agree with many posters here: Heirlooms for alt leveling are pretty low on the priority list and thats good. There's much more important stuff to do.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2012-12-26 at 01:10 PM.

Just an excuse really.
    It is fairly complex but not complicated, having already data going x-realm with crz, realID i am quite certain it is not that much of a hassle to program a way for you to be able to transfer an item you already have into a different character in the same amount, it would sound as basic copy paste delete process, either mail it or use already existing structures.

Yes I am aware that they work in a different away, but just need to flag those items the same way.
    Likely its not worth the time, besides likely a lot of people just use payed transfers to do that, why should they cut another source of revenue.
    In 90% of the cases i will always go for innovation over laziness and progress over greed, but this one case i can understand, its not worth it.

Edit due to post above:
    Hahahaha yeah models is more due to peoples reactions to it than it is for technical problems.
    Lets just hope they never try to do an uncanny valley type of models, reason why so many mmos fail is the chars are too darn realistic and its disturbing because then they arent quite enough realistic, it feels wrong.
    (I guess this is our evolutionary response to shapeshifters! *hey that guy looks human... but... not...quite*, guess it works, i dont see any shapeshifters left!)
    Last edited by Kurioxan; 2012-12-26 at 01:21 PM.

Could they just do a battle.net account bank thing?

There is a thing like it in Steam. :/

It would be incredibly easy (programming wise) to allow heirlooms to be transferable from one server to another. Since it is something that everyone wants I believe the only reason it hasn't been done yet is that Blizzard hasn't thought of a way they can charge for it.

Once Blizzard figures out a way to charge someone transfer (or duplicate) a heirloom we'll see it on their store.

It IS a technical problem. People have pointed to Diablo 3's stash, well, if you realm transfer a toon, the bank goes with it. That would be the same as Diablo's stash. As far as the mailing goes, chances are when determining whether a mail is deliverable or not it checks a list of toons available on that realm. They would have to implement a system that would allow outgoing mail to be checked against every realm in that region, likely causing all sorts of lag issues when you consider the number of players across a region. Every time they try to send a mail it has to check the recipient against a list of every toon on every realm. So you mail it to your alt on another realm but oh you misspelled the name and now you wait 30 days to get your heirlooms back, as the game is unlikely to first check that the recipient exists at all THEN has to check if that particular toon is on your account.
    ☭Politics Understander and Haver of Good Takes☭Posting Is A Human Right☭
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    If I was in his boots (and forced to join the SS in 1939 or whenever he joined), I would have tried to liberate the camp myself or die trying. He did not. He traded his life for the life of thousands of people, thus he should face the consequences
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Priestiality View Post
    It IS a technical problem. People have pointed to Diablo 3's stash, well, if you realm transfer a toon, the bank goes with it. That would be the same as Diablo's stash. As far as the mailing goes, chances are when determining whether a mail is deliverable or not it checks a list of toons available on that realm. They would have to implement a system that would allow outgoing mail to be checked against every realm in that region, likely causing all sorts of lag issues when you consider the number of players across a region. Every time they try to send a mail it has to check the recipient against a list of every toon on every realm. So you mail it to your alt on another realm but oh you misspelled the name and now you wait 30 days to get your heirlooms back, as the game is unlikely to first check that the recipient exists at all THEN has to check if that particular toon is on your account.
    Is there any difference between doing it and sending an e-mail?

Just split the String in 2. The first String is the character and the 2nd is the server.

Quote Originally Posted by Knaar View Post
    My guess is the OP dont really know much about programming....
    Its not as simple as just write a line that say copy this to server X and remove item from server Y. That "line" will most likely ends up a couple hundred lines of codes if not thousand. But thats only for the transfert... Next they have to include this codes in the game itself and that can lead to mannnnnnys issues.
    Which could basicly end up getting other players randomly stuff deleted or other characters randomly recieving stuff. The best way to implement such a thing is to make a currency which is account based. And you can buy with that currency your heirloom items.

Quote Originally Posted by Gereorth666 View Post
    Which could basicly end up getting other players randomly stuff deleted or other characters randomly recieving stuff. The best way to implement such a thing is to make a currency which is account based. And you can buy with that currency your heirloom items.
    That is actually a nice idea.

Now just wait for someone to come here and say that it'll take months to implement it.

10+ Year Old Account
    mailing heirlooms to other realms pretty much kills off server transfers which = a lose of revenue, there is nothing technical about it they been using that excuse since heirlooms came into the game.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!