Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    mailing heirlooms to other realms pretty much kills off server transfers which = a lose of revenue, there is nothing technical about it they been using that excuse since heirlooms came into the game.
    There's actually quite a bit of trouble that could come up, but we know they have the ability to do it just fine considering server transfers don't cause you to lose all your items. Question is, how would this "kill off server transfers?" Do that many people pay to send over a toon holding a couple sets of heirlooms?

That aside, I still think they should just make it so when you buy an heirloom you're buying a "license" account wide, so any toon of yours that goes to a vendor can receive that specific heirloom anytime they want. (Possibly with a 24 hour cooldown.)
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyrotten View Post
    I suppose it's possible, just possible, that the reason we can't mail anything cross realm has to do with technical limitations of the game. I know!!! It's crazy!!!
    They can send a person or group of people seamlessly from one realm to another but the mailing of an item is beyond their technical limitations? Does seem a bit odd they can't do it.

do you even know what a dejavu is ?
    N

Quote Originally Posted by Asthreon View Post
    Seems more like Blizzards way of making people Stay Subscribed longer by having to level new Characters slower, or being greedy by wanting to force people to Sever xfer to send heirlooms to a new server they wish to play on.
    Exactly. What is sooo hard about binding the item # to the player ID..just like mounts....???? I have had enough of Blizzard's money hungry sh*t. I have moved on to another game that is soooo much better. Hopefully more people will open their eyes, like I did, and stop giving Blizzard money for them doing really nothing at all.
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

On that note, I didn't hear yet why they don't allow last tier cross-realm raiding either. Unless you count "but we worry that you'd prefer to play with real friends instead of random people" a valid response, of course.

Reason, is of course, pretty much the same: you want to play with friends, you all have to arrange for paid transfer to same realm and faction and convince friends of friends to do the same too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiya View Post
    Exactly. What is sooo hard about binding the item # to the player ID..just like mounts....???? I have had enough of Blizzard's money hungry sh*t. I have moved on to another game that is soooo much better. Hopefully more people will open their eyes, like I did, and stop giving Blizzard money for them doing really nothing at all.
    Apart from those regular patches and expansions, both with content. Mounts are infinite, they clearly don't want heirlooms to be.

I'd quite like to see a account wide void storage type thing where you can put heirlooms in and take them out on any server. Then it's just tracking what's in the storage across the servers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mailing heirlooms cross servers will most likely need revamp of the entire mail system.. If blizzard decides to do that, they will most likely make it that general mailing is possible cross-realms and cross-accounts.

As to the heirloom system, its badly designed from the start as it does not support cross-faction and cross-realm alting and they have hard time fixing that now and they still keep adding heirloom items even in MoP, so the solution is most likely not anywhere close.

In my opinion the whole heirloom/alts system will have its own new feature in the future (something like transmog/void storage in 4.3 or it could come with next expansion). Something that will make alting interesting and much more fun alternative of playing the game, being able to work with your main on interesting bonuses for your characters which are not on max level yet. You know blizzard when they are making something new they make sure do it right and make it entertaining and fun. And if they do this right, it can greatly improve low level PvE as well as PvP.
    "Oh, you think darkness is your ally, but you merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it.

I didn't see the light until I was already a man and by then it was nothing to me but blinding." -Bane

Quote Originally Posted by rowaasr13 View Post
    On that note, I didn't hear yet why they don't allow last tier cross-realm raiding either. Unless you count "but we worry that you'd prefer to play with real friends instead of random people" a valid response, of course.

Reason, is of course, pretty much the same: you want to play with friends, you all have to arrange for paid transfer to same realm and faction and convince friends of friends to do the same too.
    They said they were afraid of what would happen to guilds.

I refuse to believe this is any harder than making a tab like mounts and pets, and having your class' specific BoA armour there, where you can click on equip and there, its done, no putting in invent or anything like that, no mailing, it gives people the option to use them or not, its cross realm and the technology is clearly there in mounts and pets.

I do however believe they are not doing this in order to make us grind it all once per server, it makes you play their game more, henceforth earning them more cash, the time saved mailing BoA from char to char and essentially grinding it in the first place will be cut considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by Nsira View Post
    I refuse to believe this is any harder than making a tab like mounts and pets, and having your class' specific BoA armour there, where you can click on equip and there, its done, no putting in invent or anything like that, no mailing, it gives people the option to use them or not, its cross realm and the technology is clearly there in mounts and pets.
    It's a problem of counting. If on server A I mount my horse, it's perfectly fine to do so on server B because mounts are infinite. They only need to flag "I own this horse" on my account and all characters can access it.

With heirlooms, they not only need to flag "I own this heirloom", but also "someone else is wearing this heirloom". And that kind of ingame character tracking across servers doesn't currently exist. Character A on server A doesn't know what Character B on Server B has equipped.

The reason you see multiple blue posts posting about the same thing is the same reason I see a thread about mailing heirlooms every...other...day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lordjust View Post
    Do you know how much work it is to make a new model?
    Do YOU know how much work it is to make a new model? Cause Blizzard makes plenty new models every expansion. Yes, they have to make old armor compatible with new models, but didn't this problem occur as well when they introduced Blood Elfs/Draenei/Goblins/Worgen?

People get tired of excuses. They've been asking for model updates for YEARS, and every time they get the same poor excuses.

these "deja vu"-moments only happen because people ask the same questions every week from anew, even tho they have been answered 10 times already.

its like this since developer-forums popped up for the first time... you should have gotten used to it by now i would assume...

and no, its not a blizzard-issue, its a people-issue in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Guinzil View Post
    Do YOU know how much work it is to make a new model? Cause Blizzard makes plenty new models every expansion. Yes, they have to make old armor compatible with new models, but didn't this problem occur as well when they introduced Blood Elfs/Draenei/Goblins/Worgen?

People get tired of excuses. They've been asking for model updates for YEARS, and every time they get the same poor excuses.
    awww, entitled angry dude is angry over his felt entitlement not being granted... lets comfort him with some attention!

Deleted
    Too bad I restrained myself from writing "I guess you're that wanna-be MS Access guy who only able to do what framework allows" before you already wrote it yourself. Get back to your visual programming and stop treating code like black magic. 'You need to learn school "Blizzard code" to be able to discuss its arcane spells!' JFYI, development style or framewroks used have zero relation to this particular feature, unless you somehow insist that Blizzard programmer too can only copy/paste framework solutions like you do.
    So my first project was 25 years ago in access?

Sorry what should I have been using 25 years ago?

We now use a very different framework, very OOP, trying to move forwards as much as we can, I like how you completely ignore the rest of my post?

I don't claim to be the best developer in the land it is YOU that is claiming that.

It is YOU that claims to know EXACTLY how Blizzards Framework and Architecture works.

Ignorant comments shows you have NO understanding of what Blizzards framework and architecture looks like at ALL.

Do you really think Blizzards architecture looks like

Client --> Server --> Database?

Really are you that naive?

I will 100% guarantee the network infrastructure is very complex and that the account wide data and the server data are not even in the same firewall zone let alone on the same server.

And your just proposing that they punch a massive hole through the zone? Can you imagine the nightmare when there is a client exploit that lets you duplicate items?

Why do you think server transfers etc are all managed outside of game and that you can't be logged in?

It is so they can be transactionally secure? You do understand that concept right?

Have you considered that in your ALL KNOWING knowledge of how Blizzard works?

It is ACTUALLY possible that there is a technical limitation that YOU don't understand?

Please tell me EXACTLY what knowledge you have of Blizzards framework and architecture?

Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    just create a new table in the same database that they store our account wide achievements and create a bank that lists/deposits item in that table.
    Is there any difference between doing it and sending an e-mail?

Just split the String in 2. The first String is the character and the 2nd is the server.
    Comments like this prove 100% you have NO IDEA what so ever on how you build a server that hosts 10 million active accounts.

Your just a Java hack that has no idea about infrastructure in the slightest.

I guess because all your applications look like this....

Client --> Server --> Database?

That is how you think everything works right I guess?

I 100% agree that they could do an "Heirloom Transfer" service a bit like a mash up between "Item Restore", "Mount Giving" and "Server X-Fer" this would be transactionally secure, is this the solution they want to implement, probably not as that is as about as elegant as a punch in the face, but it might stop posts like this every patch.

I look forward to your next posts where you quote 1 line of my post and ignore everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Guinzil View Post
    and every time they get the same poor excuses.
    The keep telling us they want to but if they spend time doing it, it will come at the cost of new content..... and you and many others call this a poor excuse?
    It doesnt matter how much money blizzard make, it doesnt matter how many employee's they have why can people not realise that everything has limitations even wow and when the creators of wow are telling us this people still keep on not believing them.

If blizzard have the power to implement a feature that will compliment World of Warcraft without slowing development down dont you think they would bloody do it? - Actually I can now see the responses to this coming up with theories about them holding it back to charge us or something, nvm dont bother answering.

I really find it hard to see why many moaning players still bother playing anymore, or even posting/reading about the game if you have already stopped. Hell I dont know why I even bother reading mmo anymore, something I think I am going to be stopping soon tbh as I would rather talk to players who enjoy this game still ingame than those outside it looking to pick a fight or throw in yet anothe rnarrow minded view.
    Keeping everyone happy is impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
    With heirlooms, they not only need to flag "I own this heirloom", but also "someone else is wearing this heirloom". And that kind of ingame character tracking across servers doesn't currently exist. Character A on server A doesn't know what Character B on Server B has equipped.
    Why? Its not like i can make use of the same heirloom on 2 characters at the same time. I can only be logged into one character on an account at the same time. Also, atm, moving a heirloom between 2 characters (on the same realm) is as simple as visiting a mail box on each character. Removing the need to visit the mail box as often is not such a boon to players that it is reason to prevent this and falls under the same quality of life improves as the rest of the account wide stuff added recently.

They said they were afraid of what would happen to guilds.
    That basically means what I wrote if your guild is just some randoms banded together.

Guilds of friends would just prosper:
    1) My old guild disbanded when a few core players left for greener pastures and we couldn't bring in friends/alts we had on other servers.
    2) My wife's guild sometimes have to cancel raid because they don't have enough of people off work and online and don't want to play with randoms, but I and several other people they know would be able to join if cross-realm raids were allowed.
    3) Exactly same wife's guild actually just recently transferred to her realm because they faced same problem as my own old guild: low pool of candidates on their original realm.

So, I see positives and don't see negatives so far. And I sick and tired from vague "we're concerned" without any details of their "concerns".

That basically means what I wrote if your guild is just some randoms banded together.

Guilds of friends would just prosper:
    1) My old guild disbanded when a few core players left for greener pastures and we couldn't bring in friends/alts we had on other servers.
    2) My wife's guild sometimes have to cancel raid because they don't have enough of people off work and online and don't want to play with randoms, but I and several other people they know would be able to join if cross-realm raids were allowed.
    3) Exactly same wife's guild actually just recently transferred to her realm because they faced same problem as my own old guild: low pool of candidates on their original realm.

So, I see positives and don't see negatives so far. And I sick and tired from vague "we're concerned" without any details of their "concerns".
    I never said I agreed with them

But ya, they should just enable cross realm guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    It's because the people keep asking the same questions, even if they already have given an answer on the matter
    Thing is the environment CHANGED. It's the same as PvP realms grief.
    I'm agreeing that the old approach of "PvP realms are that way" wouldn't apply anymore. The difference in power between levels is too high, and having an easy escape of flying away from a fight, were not present at the time that philosophy was applied. Today, the environment nullifies that, and they should make a change.

The mail to other realms is one of those things. Today people have relations to other realms in the same region. It's all linked. There is no more that old problem on "how can we link the realms". For crying out loud, there is even CRZ today. It's ALL DONE. They just feel like not extending that to mail. It's their personal preference to not provide and in time those things will be too well-know to them even try the effort of denying.

EDIT: TECHNICAL TALK.... Just add a second field to heirlooms with the ID of Realm from where it originated, and BANG, you can create a new mail field with another realm. The ONLY technical difficulty is to have an alien repeated unique ID of the "spawned" item introduced in the realm. By adding a suffix code with Realm ID, those alien ID numbers will EVER be unique.
    Last edited by Buu; 2012-12-26 at 02:53 PM.