Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Tank UI - Must Have Addons

Hey there!

I've recently decided that I want to tank and was just wondering if anyone had some addons that they can't live without as a tank.

As a DPS I've ran with:

- Omen
    - Dominos
    - Bigwigs
    - Shadowed Unit Frames
    - Need to Know
    - Recount

Is there anything about Tanks which I really need to pay attention to?

Thanks guys!

Deleted
    TidyPlates with the threatplates-theme is a must-have for me when I'm tanking. Stuf Unit Frames is a close second. Nifty unitframes that are highly customizable. Then some kind of bossmod and a threatmeter just to make sure no dumbasses are running around with growl on their pets or dps-ing in the wrong stance/presence, they're not "needed" but they come in handy. MikScrollingBattleText is also useful to get rid of numbers all over the screen while aoe-tanking. I've made one frame for incoming damage/healing and one frame for outgoing damage. Spamfilter triggers on HoTs and aoe-damage, "Rejuvenation <100,000> (7 hits, 3 crits)" "Shockwave <250,000> (5 hits, 5 crits)" etc.

None. I personally use Tellmewhen to track stagger, vengeance, keg smash cd, and time left on tiger palm. Then I use recount for general "who's taking too much damage and why." I also use DBM and DBM timers, but turn it off on every fight that doesn't need it.

Deleted
    actually this is something you need to see for yourself ppl use other addons then well other ppl myself i use tidy plates + threat plates ( no need for omen then)
    needtoknow for cd's and debuff tracking on target i use dominos as action bars en pitbull4 for player frames useing mikscrolling aswell ( dont forget to filter this one out or you will be spammed with useless stuff )

would be easier if we would know with what class your tanking IF your a dk use bloodshieldtracker aswell and acherus

-Aloft or Tidy Plates+threat plates - they color nameplates depending on threat so you can easily see whether you're tanking securely or a certain mob is pounding on a dpser. To make it very intuitively, i configured it like traffic lights: green means i'm tanking securely (everything is fine), red means bad (the mob is attacking someone else).
    -Xperl or something similar (maybe Shadowed Unit frames does the same thing, i haven't tried it) so you can properly see buffs and debuffs, especially on focus and focus' target. That's useful especially when you 2-tank a certain boss and you gotta switch to some adds for example, but you have to taunt from the other tank when he or the boss reaches a certain number of stacks.

These are a must have for me. As optional addons, i recommend Skada/Recount so you see why someone died, who's slacking in dps/healing etc. Also, Bartender is very handy for configuring bars if you want to gather all spells in a tight area, leaving more free space on your screen.
    Last edited by Marahdeka; 2012-12-26 at 11:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Hemet was behind Garrosh's escape and time travel just so he could hunt big game on old Draenor.

TidyPlates - ThreatPlates (or similar)
    TMW or Weak Auras.

That's it, the rest is just UI stuff to make it look how you like, nothing else will really help you for tanking.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    TidyPlates - ThreatPlates (or similar)
    TMW or Weak Auras.

That's it, the rest is just UI stuff to make it look how you like, nothing else will really help you for tanking.
    +1. Those two are the ones that help the most besides DBM/BigWigs.

Quote Originally Posted by zora View Post
    +1. Those two are the ones that help the most besides DBM/BigWigs.
    Ah yeah, your Raid Addon of choice too! I just assume everyone has that.

Deleted
    Weakauras and threatplates and an actionbar addon.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Just so all y'all saying "threat plates" know, threat-based coloration and sizing is available on most of the plate schemes that come with Tidy Plates by default now.

Quote Originally Posted by Taryble View Post
    Just so all y'all saying "threat plates" know, threat-based coloration and sizing is available on most of the plate schemes that come with Tidy Plates by default now.
    I haven't used TP in a while since ElvUI has the same thing built in, good to know though!

Yeah, but the default is far more ugly and gets pretty out of control real fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by NGRazor
    If Russia suddenly put Satan in charge of their nukes and then they sent hellfire down on the Untied States, don't you think the U.S. would be pretty damn pissed when Russia said "well, we didn't know Satan would betray us."

elv ui, weak auras, MSBT GG

15+ Year Old Account
    My only issue with the reg tidyplates is all my bars are litestep and I just can't seem to find a way to have the bars look like that without thrat plates....

My issue with threat plates addition is I cant set a specific color for off tanked mobs so if tank #2 has half the mobs it looks like a dpser has agro and I end up taunting off the 2nd tank >.<

would need tidy plates to use sharedmedia so we could select bar look or threat plates to allow for offtank specific coloration based on role.

Deleted
    I'm the same as many above, and swear by tidyplates / threatplates. As for addons, you don't really need many. Omen can help for multi add tanking to see which you may lose ahead of time so you can put more focus into that one, but for the main, you don't need many. I also use DBM!

A good Weak Auras setup helps more than anything else. You can find a sticky in the Warrior forum.

Tidy plates for AOE tanking is a must also.

Any plate addon that tracks threat status is useful, not just tidy plates/threat plates. shNamesplates, CaelNameplates, pNameplates to name a few.

For my necessary addons it is CaelNameplates and Weakauras. Everything else is just for looks.

Deleted

15+ Year Old Account
    I started to use Raven this week and I now swear by it! I have replaced fort cd bar, Elkanos buff bars and Power auras with it so far! It's slightly daunting at first but once you understand it and start to set up custom bars it's simply amazing.

I now have a defence, offence, and proc bar where in the past it was all power auras. Sure I can't use custom displays but the spell icons work just as well!

In addition to all above I find useful Quartz for tracking down cast bars and Grid to have a compact raid frame (for BRs).