Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Holland and The Netherlands

I noticed that a lot of non Dutchies kept calling 'The Netherlands' Holland, and then I found this little neat video.

This might shed some ligt on the difference.
    Enjoy!

Test: How do you call the country of the Dutch?

A: The Netherlands
    B: Holland

It's not common knowledge that Holland is part of the Netherlands?

Then again plenty of people call Britain as England. Not a big deal, some customs just don't die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Americans call it The Netherlands because Holland is just part of it, in the west.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm from Holland (see what I did there?) myself. I prefer calling the Netherlands Holland simply because it sounds and writes better IMO. "Oh hey! I'm from the Netherlands! versus "Oh hey!, I'm from Holland!" I think the Holland one wins ;P. The "the" in "the Netherlands" just kinda annoys me I guess.. In Dutch we simply say Nederland = Netherland or sometimes even Holland.

Also, isn't Holland Zuid-Holland and Noord-Holland combined? Or were both areas combined simply called Holland in the past? I can't remember actually tbh. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    Also, isn't Holland Zuid-Holland and Noord-Holland combined? Or were both areas combined simply called Holland in the past? I can't remember actually tbh. xD
    Both used to be part of the County of Holland IIRC.

Deleted
    Zuid Holland and Noord Holland are both Netherlands, its like states in the USA, we call it Provincies.

Nederländerna is the official name in Swedish as far as I know, but I'd say the great majority of swedes say Holland, for example if Sweden and the Netherlands play eachother in football the bit at the top at the telly screen will say HOL-SVE x-x.

Dutch people are also called Holländare, I can't think of another word for them tbh. I don't think there is one in the swedish language. It's just how it is.

edit: I guess one could say Nederländare as well, but no one ever does.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2012-12-26 at 03:52 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    Let them call it Holland. At least back then this country meant something. People didn't dare to fuck with us because we actualy had power in this world... now we're just one big joke, a puppet.

Offcourse now everyone knows it's just a part of Holland, but when I was working in Italy for a year back for a year, barely anyone knew it. Be it people from England, Poland or Germany! Even in WoW I encountered it countless times.

Quote Originally Posted by Wookeh View Post
    Let them call it Holland. At least back then this country meant something. People didn't dare to fuck with us because we actualy had power in this world... now we're just one big joke, a puppet.
    When's "back then"? The few years between the Navigation Acts and the Glorious Revolution? >_>

Still called Holland in Danish! And Hollændere!

---------- Post added 2012-12-26 at 05:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    I'm from Holland (see what I did there?) myself. I prefer calling the Netherlands Holland simply because it sounds and writes better IMO. "Oh hey! I'm from the Netherlands! versus "Oh hey!, I'm from Holland!" I think the Holland one wins ;P. The "the" in "the Netherlands" just kinda annoys me I guess.. In Dutch we simply say Nederland = Netherland or sometimes even Holland.

Isn't that weird?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    When's "back then"? The few years between the Navigation Acts and the Glorious Revolution? >_>
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Republic
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Golden_Age

Deleted
    "Pays-Bas" would be the official name here, the inhabitants being the "Néerlandais". Most people know that by now, but some still say "Hollande" and "Hollandais" mostly because it's faster to say.

Deleted
    I have always called it Holland. And I belive that 95% in Sweden does it

I call it for what it is, and I don't understand why you'd do anything else if you've been taught the difference.

If I'm speaking about the province that is Holland, I'll say Holland.

Otherwise; the Netherlands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't you ever try to correct us Germans when we say Holland! :P

Deleted
    You Hollanders are way to complicated!
    Take an example to my country Belgium! Our country is the simplicity itself, we have the Flemish 60%+/- (who speak Dutch), the Walloons 38%+/- (the Frenchies) and the German part 2%+/- (very small part that we confiscated after 1 of the WW's)
    The Flemish part is a region of itself, the Walloon part and the German part are another region and then we have the capital region of Brussels that consists of a French a Flemish and a neutral zone. Then the regions are divided in 10 provinces who ... Oh wait ..

Well our politics are much less complicated! You have the Flemish and Walloon parlement and then a federal parlement thats also ... God damnit!
    Screw you Holland!

Also we used to call the Dutch kaaskoppen (altough thats not relevant, since we produce more cheese then Holland)
    anyway your beer sucks!

(we still love you tough)
    Last edited by mmoc013aca8632; 2012-12-26 at 04:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I call it Holland, as do most people here.
    Your football fans are singing "Hup Holland Hup" so I guess it can't be that wrong.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

I call it as the place where most tourists go to get their crazy on :P

Deleted
    For some reason, whenever I speak English, I like to call it Dutchland, just like I like to call Sweden Svealand instead.