Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    For some reason, whenever I speak English, I like to call it Dutchland, just like I like to call Sweden Svealand instead.
    Svealand comes from the Viking, early middle age period I think, Svear was the clans living in and around mälardalen, or north east of the big lakes, Götar was the ones who had their main areas in what is now called Västgötaslätten - Skara, Skövde etc.

In old english they were known as Sveons and Geatas as far as I know, at least if you go by Beowulf, not that beowulf is the best place to try and find historical facts, but still...
    Think they are mentioned in Tacitus book Germania as well form around year 100.

Basically you need to stop liking the name Svealand, it's never been a name for our entire country, just the worst part lol! ;P

Yellow-Svear
    Blue-Götar
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Funnily even I, as a non-Dutchie, get irritated when someone uses the word "Holland" for the Netherlands. Luckily, in my language, the country is called "Nizozemska" which literally means "Lowlands" so at least there's no confusion when someone mentions it in person.

Was aware of most of it (aside from the Caribbean cities) but still call them it Holland and Dutch.

"netherlands" sounds as if you are referring to someones crotch, or a country in some pit so forgotten and distant its in the "nether's"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post

In old english they were known as Sveons and Geatas as far as I know, at least if you go by Beowulf, not that beowulf is the best place to try and find historical facts, but still...
    I believe Götar are primarily called Goths in English, which is such an epic and great name if it wasn't for the other thing called Gothic.

Also, you forgot to mention the Gutes, my favorite of all the Swedish tribes.
    Basically you need to stop liking the name Svealand, it's never been a name for our entire country, just the worst part lol! ;P
    I know, but I've always found Svealand so much more epic sounding than Sverige, and besides, it's not like the general population of Sweden knows nor cares about what it truly is.

But yes, Svealand is the worst part indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Luckily, in my language, the country is called "Nizozemska" which literally means "Lowlands" so at least there's no confusion when someone mentions it in person.
    You would believe considering the Dutch culture that the country would be called the Highlands.
    Last edited by mmoc96b28150b7; 2012-12-26 at 06:09 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Was aware of most of it (aside from the Caribbean cities) but still call them it Holland and Dutch.

"netherlands" sounds as if you are referring to someones crotch, or a country in some pit so forgotten and distant its in the "nether's"
    You should go outside some more, you clearly have been playing too many video games haha.

Being from The Netherlands myself, I simply say The Netherlands because I've been taught the difference between Holland and The Netherlands and see no reason to say it wrong on purpose.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm from Holland, and I say Holland. The Netherlands sounds dumb.

Deleted
    Sorry, my Dutch friends, but you at least can comfort yourself to the fact that Holland is the core of your country, and that Holland is fully part of the Netherlands. We Germans on the other hand, suffer the offensive act of having our country called "Allemagne" in French, our people called "Allemands", when it is only half of the state of Baden-Württemberg that is really descendents of the Allemannen tribe and speak a Allemanic dialect, most speakers of the Allemanic dialects are actually Swiss and independent for several centuries. You convince them to stop that and we'll stop calling you "Holländer", and to make the offer more profitable, never complain about slow caravans again!

Quote Originally Posted by Koen991 View Post
    You should go outside some more, you clearly have been playing too many video games haha.

Being from The Netherlands myself, I simply say The Netherlands because I've been taught the difference between Holland and The Netherlands and see no reason to say it wrong on purpose.
    Haha i go out plenty my friend, although it is an expression in English "nether regions" that does in fact refer to genitals :P and the definition of nether in english is "lower, inferior, bottom" and used also to refer to things far away :P

Then again if you want to flaunt in your country name that you are the "bottom", go right ahead :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurax View Post
    Sorry, my Dutch friends, but you at least can comfort yourself to the fact that Holland is the core of your country, and that Holland is fully part of the Netherlands. We Germans on the other hand, suffer the offensive act of having our country called "Allemagne" in French, our people called "Allemands", when it is only half of the state of Baden-Württemberg that is really descendents of the Allemannen tribe and speak a Allemanic dialect, most speakers of the Allemanic dialects are actually Swiss and independent for several centuries. You convince them to stop that and we'll stop calling you "Holländer", and to make the offer more profitable, never complain about slow caravans again!
    Germany as the center of Europe is the country with the more variability in the names given by their neighbours, latin, german, slavic etc. You'll find that on Wikipedia.

Quote Originally Posted by pouca View Post
    Germany as the center of Europe is the country with the more variability in the names given by their neighbours, latin, german, slavic etc. You'll find that on Wikipedia.
    You might want to add "geographic" to that sentence or soon a shitstorm will be born

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember when I was a kid it was more common to call it holland, nowadays it's more common to call it netherlands.
    Some older people still use holland.

Doesn't really matter, understand what country they are reffering to either way so :P

Quote Originally Posted by TylerN View Post
    I remember when I was a kid it was more common to call it holland, nowadays it's more common to call it netherlands.

Doesn't really matter, understand what country they are reffering to either way so :P
    True enough, the purpose of naming is to allow different people to understand what each other mean, if it does the job then its ok.
    If everyone else decided to call it "humpledumpleland" it wouldnt matter how hard dutch raged, it would be correct as everyone knew what it was.
    Last edited by Kurioxan; 2012-12-26 at 06:49 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerN View Post

I remember when I was a kid and believed that Holland was filled with acres and windmills, like in the Casper the ghost cartoons.

Last edited by mmoc96b28150b7; 2012-12-26 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Funnily even I, as a non-Dutchie, get irritated when someone uses the word "Holland" for the Netherlands. Luckily, in my language, the country is called "Nizozemska" which literally means "Lowlands" so at least there's no confusion when someone mentions it in person.
    It ought to be a EU law to only call Benelux by its proper name of the Low Countries, emphasis included

I remember when I was a kid and believed that Holland was filled with acres and windmills, like in the Casper the ghost cartoons.
    naah its covered in red light districts and weed shops :P
    (jk, inb4 raging dutch)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    naah its covered in red light districts and weed shops :P
    (jk, inb4 raging dutch)
    Acres filled with whores and weed shops diguised as weed shops? Best country ever!

Deleted
    I'm from the Netherlands, I live in Zwolle, the capital of the Dutch Province Overijssel, one of the 12 in the Netherlands, but I call it Holland sometimes..

Acres filled with whores and weed shops diguised as weed shops? Best country ever!
    Ironically, I think the only people who hate the RLD are people who live there and have to wade through tourists everyday. And I don't think they hate it on the basis of it being the RLD: they just hate the sex tourists :P

haha to each its own, i find no interest in prostitutes nor in narcotics, my own personality gives me highs enough, and im attractive enough to get almost any girl i want, sadly, im strictly monogamous and in a really good relationship so thats out of the boat.

holland is where the prostitutes and junkies live. The Netherlands is the normal country that is embarassed of Amsterdam