Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Gearing up @ Tier 15 / patch 5.2

so I was wondering for someone who started the expansion really late (not even 90 yet!), how hard will it be to gear-catch up for 5.2 so I could start raiding (considering i find a guild ofc) once it's out? will they offer 5 men heroics that will drop Tier14 equivalent ilvl gear or anything like that? if I am not mistaken they did something like that when the End Time dungeons came out? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nablism View Post
    so I was wondering for someone who started the expansion really late (not even 90 yet!), how hard will it be to gear-catch up for 5.2 so I could start raiding (considering i find a guild ofc) once it's out? will they offer 5 men heroics that will drop Tier14 equivalent ilvl gear or anything like that? if I am not mistaken they did something like that when the End Time dungeons came out? thanks
    Based on statements from Blizzard, it will not be as quick as it was with the End Time 5-mans. If there are new dungeons, they would probably drop pieces that are slightly lower iLvl than T14 LFR gear. But Blizzard has indicated that they intend for people to use LFR and the Item Upgrade system to gear up enough to move on to other tiers.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

It depends if 5.2 will have new 5man heroics or they will delay it until 5.3. If they give easy obtainable higher than t14 loot in 5.2 then all three current raids will get out of date and I dont see this happening this fast. We'll need to wait for 5.2 PTR to see whether we got new heroics or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    They will not be doing that with 5 man heroics this time round due to the fact we have LFR for each tier of the expansion which drops a lesser version of the tiers raid gear. LFR will be the only real way to gear up unless you find a guild which runs Tier 14 normals and nothing else.

So 5 man heroics (463 gear) => LFR MSV (476 gear) => LFR HoF and ToES (483 gear).

Might take you a while but it's how the game is designed now.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntardicus View Post
    They will not be doing that with 5 man heroics this time round due to the fact we have LFR for each tier of the expansion which drops a lesser version of the tiers raid gear. LFR will be the only real way to gear up unless you find a guild which runs Tier 14 normals and nothing else.

So 5 man heroics (463 gear) => LFR MSV (476 gear) => LFR HoF and ToES (483 gear).

Might take you a while but it's how the game is designed now.
    This is very good if it happens, all raids will stay sort of useful til end of expansion. I as a casual like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gearing up, ahhh, one question: how much gold do you have, and do you love dailies or being carried in Arena? My DK is 480 1 week after dinging between good luck in LFR, doing Shieldwall for the ring and doing Klaxxi exhalted for their ring, 496 crafted chest/gloves, the Darkmoon trinket, and 2 weeks of 2s CP cap (the carries cost me 1.5k each, well last one was partially free cause a guildy helped me).
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

My guess is they will probably knock the current ilvl 489 VP gear down into 'buy it and upgrade it for JP', and put new VP gear in at level. They may even drop the reputation requirements for some of it. So you'd run normals or BGs for JP/honor, that will get you into heroics, which you run for JP to gear yourself up for tier 14 LFR, which will get you into tier 15 LFR.

If you stockpiled valor/justice/conquest/honor before you quit during Cataclysm, don't buy anything until after the patch hits. And consider running a few dungeons on the way up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninotchka View Post
    My guess is they will probably knock the current ilvl 489 VP gear down into 'buy it and upgrade it for JP', and put new VP gear in at level. They may even drop the reputation requirements for some of it. So you'd run normals or BGs for JP/honor, that will get you into heroics, which you run for JP to gear yourself up for tier 14 LFR, which will get you into tier 15 LFR.

y i suppose something liek this may happen - but then if it would happen the only part of lfr people would do would be the ones with sha touched weapons -_- - no idea thou - in 4.2 they did put zandalari dungeons with sligth lower gear lv then 4.1 raids so they may do domethign like this ... or the wont - we will see in few months.

I just see even more drama if they dont thou - guilds would have to run old tiers to gear up new raiders and this will end up in stealing raiders from each other betwen guilds with good progress -_-

They'll probably just bump down the current VP gear to JP. You can get an entire set of 489-496 gear that way.

For weapons, just add a scenario like the arena to give you some 483 weapons or something as a quest reward.

Notice how the new 5.2 season pvp gear is only +13 levels above the current one? normally it's 19 since like wotlk. The tier jumps might be smaller this time around (509 normal mode-522 heroic).

Deleted
    They expect you to get gear from LFR and current tier14 raiding when 5.2 is out. Will take you a while as a casual but if you are serious about raiding i'm sure you will find somewhere that will help you out to bring you up to their level.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexxie View Post
    They expect you to get gear from LFR and current tier14 raiding when 5.2 is out. Will take you a while as a casual but if you are serious about raiding i'm sure you will find somewhere that will help you out to bring you up to their level.
    Here the tricky part - any raiding guidls will be expecting at least 496 itlv for 5.2 raid as entry lv - u imagine all those - they dont wanna take me raiding cause im not 500 itlv yet after few weeks of 5.2 -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Vexxie View Post
    yes I am quite sure there are plenty of people out there that want to help new 90 to gear up by dragging their ass through content they horribly outgear and have no need for
    I give it 1 or 2 tiers until everyone remembers again why the old system was shit

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blizz has said multiple times they are looking at changing how the loot works in 5.1>5.2 transition.

Deleted
    I hope they will make this game once again alt friendly

you'll be fine.

get 90, run some heroics, do lots a dailies. maybe craft some stuff if you have money or professions. get into LFR and run that. you should be decently geared come 5.2, even if you're not raiding normal modes.

Quote Originally Posted by Enosh View Post
    yes I am quite sure there are plenty of people out there that want to help new 90 to gear up by dragging their ass through content they horribly outgear and have no need for
    I give it 1 or 2 tiers until everyone remembers again why the old system was shit
    No one will 'bring you to their level', but if you're realistic in picking a guild with similar progression...

Why would you want to skip content anyhow? If you start at MSV, so beit, it would be as new as 5.2 would be at that point.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    Here the tricky part - any raiding guidls will be expecting at least 496 itlv for 5.2 raid as entry lv - u imagine all those - they dont wanna take me raiding cause im not 500 itlv yet after few weeks of 5.2 -_-
    Raiding guidls expect different, depending on the guild.

I expect that my members prepare for a raid. If you are behind on gear, as in sub 483 pieces, I expect you to get a pvp item in that slot (483), run LFR for items, etc.

Hence, no guild would expect the impossible, unless they have to get realm first - As long as you work as hard as you can to get up to the others lvls.

That could mean raid finder, pugging, pvping, etc - buying stuff off AH, to boost your gearlvl as fast as possible.

After all, you recruit the player - Not the gear. Gear you can always get, however players, are the tricky part.

Unless you're hoping to get into a guild that's progressing on heroic modes without even attempting any normal modes yet yourself (ie. guilds way out of your league), most people (including myself) are happy to take in 'undergeared' chars as long as the player demonstrates that they've put some actual effort into gearing up that char as well as they are able. Of course, "as well as they are able" can include stuff like running pugs etc. too, but let's I'm thinking more about solo or 5-man content.

Finding intelligent, reliable people is much harder than finding geared people, and it's much easier to gear them up than it is to deal with the problems the other one brings.

It's not very difficult to gear up undergeared chars. Most guilds will probably be farming heroic modes for a long time, for those few rare drops that are still BiS in the next tier, allowing an undergeared char to come along and leech up all the stuff that would otherwise turn into enchanting mats. Even back in vanilla we'd bring assgeared people to AQ40 and get them ready for Nax40 progression in a week or two; in WotLK we did half guild runs, selling the stuff we didn't need to pugs, but that could just as well have gone to gearing up trials. TBC was kind of obnoxious with the attunements, but as long as they keep those leader-bound rather than char-bound I don't expect it will ever be a problem in this situation; though in TBC people responded to the problem posed by attunements by... doing something themselves, instead of expecting blizz to remove the obstacle, and began organizing attunement raids for the new chars!

If you ask me, it made things more interesting and satisfying. Having to actually go through the effort of organizing, or joining an already organized, attunement raid, to be able to enter BT, made being able to do so feel like an accomplishment; when you can just zone in to whatever is the final tier currently right after hitting the level cap it makes "progression" a meaningless concept beyond the current final tier.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Only a guild that's pushing heroics will expect such things from their apps, and if you're a fresh 90 looking to get into one of those guilds... well, unless you've got connections or some serious experience/logs to back you up, you're probably overreaching yourself a little bit, if I can be frank. A guild that is just starting to raid won't have as stringent of expectations, on the other hand.

I'm still hoping that Blizzard will up the drop rate significantly (~35%) for the LFR version of MSV, and moderately (~25%) for HoF/ToES when 5.2's lands. Seriously doubt it, but it would be nice specifically considering there's virtually no ilvl476 or greater weapons to be found outside of LFR and gearing an alt, or from scratch on a new server, can be rough if you're one of those who gets hit by the RNG's badside more than most. (Somebody's got to be super lucky and somebody's got to get over 50 gold bags before getting a useful item.)
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."