Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[Ret] Is Ret a poor spec for doing dailies ?

This is my toon.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...guard/advanced

I am having the following issues while doing my dailies

Issue a) I tend to either burst down the mob in a few secs or it takes a while to kill a standard 400k hp daily mob.
    On contrast my frost 2h dk just mops down the mob reliably in few secs.
    But my dk is ilvl 473 so it makes the difference I guess.

Issue b) When I am not on a bursting spree I tend to lose 30%-40% of my health to a single mob and it is hell when fighting more 2-3 mobs.

Having said all that I need some inputs for my questions

Question a) Is Retribution a poor spec for doing dailies or is it because of my gear and/or inexperience with that spec ?.I have been holy mostly.

Question b) Is my rotation bad ?.I just start with Judge->CS->Exo and with the 3 HP gained, I use Inquisition.After gaining Inquisition, I use TV on 3 HP and Exo if it pops up.After the mob is dead I either heal myself with the remaining HPs or use FoL (the free heal we get after killing a mob)

Question c) Currently I am clocking around 17k dps.Is this on par with my gear ?.How much dps do you guys pump out while doing dailies ?

http://i.imgur.com/clgLE.jpg

The screenshot also shows the various spells/abilities dmg percentile (if it is of any help)

Sry for such a lengthy post and thanks in advance for providing your inputs for my questions above.

UPDATE :
    Highlighting the section in bold for better readability
    Thanks for the responses.
    I went through all of them and I can see the following
    a) My gear sucks : I will work on improving it.Also I hope that having enough hit/expertise for lvl 90 mobs should be fine.Because this ret will always be doing dailies only.I will always be a healer in 5 mans/lfr etc.
    b) My rotation : I was not utilizing SS as much as I should have been.Thanks for pointing it out.
    c) My reforge : I have been stacking mastery (heck I even use the +750 mastery elixir on me when dailying) because I believe some of my main spells benefit directly from stacking mastery (CS,TV,DS etc).On the other hand haste rating reduces my CDs/attack speed by only 0.2/0.4 secs which I don't see how it will be that useful.Do keep in mind the above statement is from my general understanding of the spec and it may very well be wrong.So I want to understand why ppl suggest stacking haste instead of mastery ?
    Last edited by vpywow; 2012-12-27 at 01:31 AM.

I don't think it's a poot spec. I can pull a lot of mobs, throw a Light's Hammer and pop all cooldowns. They die really really fast. If anything goes wrong I can LoH. If I'm close to die again I can use that AoE disorient spell (I forgot its name) and attack one. Kill this one really fast and when he dies I use flash of light with 100% crit. If I'm still in danger then....ya...I'm dead.

Probably the worst dps spec to do MoP dailies, i got a dk and druid both at 470 and i just drop mobs in seconds - everything is so fast, well paced, on the other hand my 485 paladin is just so slow slow to do anything (having to keep inquisition up or lose 30%dmg is a pain in the arse).
    All i can recomend is starting to roll some cooldowns, but again on my alts i forget i have thoes, unless i take more than 3 mobs at a time.

It's definitely slower than other classes, but it's by no means terrible.

Also, why are you reforging haste to mastery?
    lol casual - Ret masochist since 05

Rullk

Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    It's definitely slower than other classes, but it's by no means terrible.

Also, why are you reforging haste to mastery?
    My... I read your post so backwards... It's too early in the morning for me. -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Libram View Post
    My... I read your post so backwards... It's too early in the morning for me. -_-
    Ok, so divine purpose is why your doing the yoyo dps. Which is fine, I love it, especially for grinding. The others all require blowing cooldowns and that just seems excessive.

Other deal is as you said your gear, get your ass in LFR or whatever and you'll see good gains very quickly.

Regarding your constantly injured state, you've got sacred shield. Use it. When grinding out even a single mob get it up and keep it up. On large groups it's also amazing, but don't be afraid to take a little longer to kill a group and throw a WoG or 3 on yourself. Corpse runs take a lot longer to complete than generating 3 more holy power.

Oh and your expertise is laughably low and your hit needs a lot of help too. Drop the crit sprocket in your dragonling for an expertise and consider doing the same with the mastery sprocket for some hit. The lack of hit and expertise you've got right now is making you just that much more of a yoyo since sometimes you'll have a string of hits, but you're also getting huge streaks of miss/parry/dodge.
    Last edited by Shelly; 2012-12-26 at 05:00 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    My paladin is pulling roughly 30-40k dps without CDs and doing dailies. Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...inarria/simple

I've noticed you have a lot of mastery and parry on your gear... It's difficult to do dailies in a spec you're not really geared for. Best tip is reforge everything you can into haste. If you're not using the gear to tank in, drop the stats parry, then crit, then mastery. You also have really low expertise... it doesn't seem like much, but even raising it a little bit just to be capped for level 90 mobs would be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    Ok, so divine purpose is why your doing the yoyo dps. Which is fine, I love it, especially for grinding. The others all require blowing cooldowns and that just seems excessive.

Other deal is as you said your gear, get your ass in LFR or whatever and you'll see good gains very quickly.

Regarding your constantly injured state, you've got sacred shield. Use it. When grinding out even a single mob get it up and keep it up. On large groups it's also amazing, but don't be afraid to take a little longer to kill a group and throw a WoG or 3 on yourself. Corpse runs take a lot longer to complete than generating 3 more holy power.

Oh and your expertise is laughably low and your hit needs a lot of help too. Drop the crit sprocket in your dragonling for an expertise and consider doing the same with the mastery sprocket for some hit. The lack of hit and expertise you've got right now is making you just that much more of a yoyo since sometimes you'll have a string of hits, but you're also getting huge streaks of miss/parry/dodge.
    Are you replying to me and my messed up thread I had deleted?
    I removed it because I thought rulk was asking why the OP was stacking Haste over Mastery. I linked a video on why, then realized after reading over the thread once more he had actually asked why the OP was stacking Mastery over Haste... I read it all backwards, so deleted the post.
    Anyhow the guys expertise in the video was low because he was geared for Arena PvP. Only need to be able to dodge lvl 90's unless those BG's with the few bosses really matters a lot to you. :S
    Last edited by Libram; 2012-12-26 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Libram View Post
    Are you replying to me and my messed up thread I had deleted?
    I removed it because I thought rulk was asking why the OP was stacking Haste over Mastery. I linked a video on why, then realized after reading over the thread once more he had actually asked why the OP was stacking Mastery over Haste... I read it all backwards, so deleted the post.
    Anyhow the guys expertise in the video was low because he was geared for Arena PvP. Only need to be able to dodge lvl 90's unless those BG's with the few bosses really matters a lot to you. :S
    Shit. Sorry, no. I meant to delete that part.

I've been up for roughly 12 hours now on less than 4 hours sleep.

Anyway, that's all well and good but fact is he's complaining about slow DPS on the PVE side of the game. If he wants to fix that he's going to need to reforge in such a way that he's able to actually perform.

PvP gear has become a lot more competitive now for PvE content and vise-versa with a base resilience. But it's still mediocre on both sides if that's the only thing you roll with.

Quote Originally Posted by vpywow View Post
    Issue b) When I am not on a bursting spree I tend to lose 30%-40% of my health to a single mob and it is hell when fighting more 2-3 mobs.
    Are you using Sacred Shield? I do dailies as a shockadin (I'm a healer in raids so it's a gear thing) and single mobs barely get past my shield, never mind get me down to half health.

Updated my OP after going through the responses so far.

i do dailies on my all lfr geared 481 pali and i can chain pull with no issues. i also use seal of insight and insta-fol to heal up if its getting bad but honestly, it feels like a breeze.
    85 Retribution Paladin | 85 Fire Mage | 85 Frost Death Knight | 85 Elemental Shaman | 85 Demonology Warlock |85 Arms Warrior | 85 Marksman Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by vpywow View Post
    This is my toon.

UPDATE :
    Highlighting the section in bold for better readability
    Thanks for the responses.
    I went through all of them and I can see the following
    a) My gear sucks : I will work on improving it.Also I hope that having enough hit/expertise for lvl 90 mobs should be fine.Because this ret will always be doing dailies only.I will always be a healer in 5 mans/lfr etc.
    b) My rotation : I was not utilizing SS as much as I should have been.Thanks for pointing it out.
    c) My reforge : I have been stacking mastery (heck I even use the +750 mastery elixir on me when dailying) because I believe some of my main spells benefit directly from stacking mastery (CS,TV,DS etc).On the other hand haste rating reduces my CDs/attack speed by only 0.2/0.4 secs which I don't see how it will be that useful.Do keep in mind the above statement is from my general understanding of the spec and it may very well be wrong.So I want to understand why ppl suggest stacking haste instead of mastery ?
    so you question was "How do i play ret?"

For dailies, I tend to use Seal Of Insight, and keep Sacred Shield up. Low down time. I also forget Inq while doing dailies, as the opportunity cost vs output is too high (use it for another TV, mob dies :P ) unless I get a DP proc as the mob dies and I can reach the next mob with decent uptime

Quote Originally Posted by serravenger View Post
    so you question was "How do i play ret?"
    @serravenger :

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/984270/

This place will be more fun for you.

Sadly, mmo-champion is not that fun for trolls like you...

Ret's survivability relies mostly on self-healing, so chain-pulling becomes even more of an issue because it can force kiting and result in poor DPS. I still find myself doing this though outside of CD's because our ranged attacks do so much damage in MoP. If you keep pulling while making sure you constantly attack everything you should be able to bring them down by a lot until you have all you need for the quest and can group them together.

You can try this and see how it works for you. I go for Long Arm of the Law, Fist of Justice, Selfless Healer, Unbreakable Spirit, Holy Avenger and Executon Sentence. Glyph Harsh Word, Templar's Verdict and Divine Protection.

get better gear and learn how to play ret (read some of the stickies, generally all the info you need there)

I do dailies wearing full pvp gear and switch to a lfr shinka and just mow through them. any set of dailies generally takes around 5 minutes for me, if there's no players for me to kill to interrupt me.

poor spec? dks are better?
    well, you can always spec to prot and go to sleep. or holy.

with decent gear retri-pala can pull and kill every mogu for golden lotus dailies. without falling in sleep

I just start with Judge->CS->Exo and with the 3 HP gained, I use Inquisition.
    Inquisition? for _every_ regular mob? what for? it will die without any "+dmg for 30 secs".
    Last edited by steelslife; 2012-12-27 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steelslife View Post
    Inquisition? for _every_ regular mob? what for? it will die without any "+dmg for 30 secs".
    You must hit really hard if you don't need to keep Inqiusition up. Or maybe just doing inefficient pulls, I don't know.

While I don't blow apart mobs while questing, I am fairly efficient.

I run with Seal of Insight up almost always, favor HotR over CS, use my 3 HP for Divine Storm, and lay down my Hammer when I get a group together. I often do 4-5 pulls of mobs, sometimes more, and seldom get below 2/3 health. If I'm feeling like their couple be a problem I put GoAK out to burn the crowd a lot faster. If I need more healing, I pop Divine Purpose and then HotR->DS->HotR->DS...etc. This will stabilize me until mobs start to drop, and I have FoL + WoG if I really need it.

I find that RET questing is more about efficiency and pulling large groups rather than burning through single mobs individually. Only trouble I find that I have is when I get a CC'ing mob (i.e. those damn goblin workers).