Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    Deleted

Unique words in your language?

What unique words do you have in your language? Like in Swedish, where we have the most awesome word ever: "lagom", which doesn't have a direct English equalivent but basically means something that is okay, in the middle. Like if something is "lagom" cooked, it means it's okay cooked, it's as cooked as it should be.

So what unique words exist out there?

Deleted
    I can't think of any out of the top of my head, but I'm sure we have quite a few.
    Would you be interested in naughty words? I can think of quite a few of those

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Would you be interested in naughty words? I can think of quite a few of those
    I guess, Swedish women do enjoy foreign people after all, so could be useful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't think of any in the official language/s, but in my dialect we have a unique word. Or shortening, no-one else uses.
    "Shø" which is short for "skjønna du (skjønner du)" In English that would probably be "you see", used after stating something e.g "there is no spoon, you see"

I dunno really if that's the best translation of it, but it makes somewhat sense in my head :P

Literal translation would be "do you understand", but then it kinda loses the meaning it has in my dialect.

austrian german:
    orchkatzlschwoaf - tail of a squirrel
    hawara - a guy
    kiwara - a cop
    awa ge - not really!
    hawidere - hi
    servus - hi
    grias di - hi
    hadegattn - damn
    oschta dia - oh dammit

10+ Year Old Account
    There are quite a few... but then, you can't even exactly translate Cyrillic into any of the modern Latin alphabets so. Primarily they are compound words, or words with an additional meaning attached to them beyond their basic translation.

Example: Здравствуйте (zdrahstvooytye roughly when spoken), or hi, usually used as a formal greeting when you see someone for the first time that day. It has a different use overall than the typical word for hi (Привет / privyet), although it is..... difficult to capture exactly how it is used.

Also, not my native language, but a language I'm proficient in speaking:

Grundstücksverkehrsgenehmigungszuständigkeitsübertragungsverordnung

Have fun reading that! Oh, and from English:

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokoniosis
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2012-12-27 at 12:56 AM.

Deleted
    Saudade, it's a noun for the feeling you get when you miss someone(think like angry -> anger). It's very popularized among portuguese speakers that no other language actually has a name for it, how true that is I'm not so sure.

Deleted
    Hyggelig from danish!

Quote Originally Posted by Alkestis View Post
    Saudade, it's a noun for the feeling you get when you miss someone(think like angry -> anger). It's very popularized among portuguese speakers that no other language actually has a name for it, how true that is I'm not so sure.
    I am afraid this is untrue, that feeling is called tęsknota in polish, a quick search at wikipedia also yields results in German for example.

Could you please explain what an unique words is exactly? Just a word you think has no translation in any other language? I'm just not sure what you mean

Deleted
    Oh. So many good ones.

Teuchter - Essentially means 'Highlander', but the general idea of it is 'Moron'.

Dreich - A really cold, wet and miserable day, with a particular kind of rain, a sort of very heavy drizzle. The kind common to Scotland essentially.

Peely Wallie - Somebody looking really off-colour and pale.

Glaikit - No real comparison in the English language, a fairly unique insult, fairly close to the idea of 'Idiot' however.

Doowally - Similar to Glaikit, means somebody who's really stupid.

Crabbit - Grumpy old man.

Scunner - Essentially means pest.

Sure I can find a few more.

Edit: Oh year, a few more

Crivens - Exclamation of surprise.

Bletherin' - Someone who talks nonsense non-stop.
    Last edited by mmoc65a9be75bb; 2012-12-26 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rs10 View Post
    Hyggelig from danish!
    wouldnt that just be cozy?

i cant think of any on the top of my head :O
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

Breeks - Trousers
    Taamie Norie - Puffin (bird)
    Gobshite - someone who speaks nothing but bullshit all the time (gob - mouth and shite - shit) :P

in the Shetland Isles/Scotland where im from to name but a few!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by raddry View Post
    I am afraid this is untrue, that feeling is called tęsknota in polish, a quick search at wikipedia also yields results in German for example.
    Yeah, I did sort of figure it was just popular thinking. Never bothered going through wiki for it though, found "Saudade is a difficult word to translate precisely. It is said to be the only exact equivalent of the Welsh hiraeth and the Cornish hireth." so I guess tęsknota isn't exactly the same.

Deleted
    Smörgåsbord

Rødgrød med fløde, probably doesn't count since its not one word but using google translate ( that thing is horribly good at mis-translating though ) it says long and winding road which is far from correct

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Oh. So many good ones.

Teuchter - Essentially means 'Highlander', but the general idea of it is 'Moron'.

Dreich - A really cold, wet and miserable day, with a particular kind of rain, a sort of very heavy drizzle. The kind common to Scotland essentially.

Peely Wallie - Somebody looking really off-colour and pale.

Glaikit - No real comparison in the English language, a fairly unique insult, fairly close to the idea of 'Idiot' however.

Doowally - Similar to Glaikit, means somebody who's really stupid.

Crabbit - Grumpy old man.

Scunner - Essentially means pest.

Sure I can find a few more.
    Some crackers there!

Numpty - Idiot/clueless etc.

Bawbag - A person you don't like.

Eejit - Same as "Numpty"

Bairn - Baby

Bampot - Idiot

Hackit - Ugly

To name a few...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rs10 View Post
    Hyggelig from danish!
    This! Best word evar.

Deleted
    Saudade was already said here, so I will say another Portuguese word:
    Desenrascanço - the ability to find a solution to a problem, without any resources, or any pre though, at the very last possible minute;
    It means to "escape/disentangle yourself from a messy situation". Think of MacGyver, he's the prime example of «desenrascanço».