Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    I know people in the military use that. Although your average American won't say Clicks, because we use miles instead of kilometers.

Since no one wants to say it.... swag and YOLO.

Two slang words that just need to go away, Because people miss use them badly.

Swag can only count if you get it at a Con, or for free. And YOLO is not for mundane stupidity, it is for proper reclusive abandon like jumping out of an airplane.

---------- Post added 2012-12-26 at 03:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Every anglosphere military uses that. Speaking of Military, heres a few I know.
    USMC
    Square: Can mean cigarette
    Hump: Long March.
    Butter Bar: 2nd Lieutenant
    Head: Restroom
    Galley: Place to eat
    A&B "a**holes to bellybuttons": sort of like a queue
    S*** on a shingle: Sausage Gravy on toast
    Cover: Hat
    Grinder: place to March
    Kick: kilometer; or the measure use to zero in on a target using mechanical adjustments.

Edit: "Clicks" as a word for kilometer comes from artillery, and how they measure out targets.
    Last edited by Gothicshark; 2012-12-26 at 11:55 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Uh huh, in my friend circle none does. :[
    Okay, Europeans from Latin countries more exactly. :P If they don't like those people you need to stop hanging with baby boomers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Every anglosphere military uses that. Speaking of Military, heres a few I know.

Tab: Can mean cigarette or long march.
    Yomp: Long March.
    Oggin: Ocean or Sea.
    Wet: Drink, usually a hot drink.
    Rupert: Officer.
    Full screw: Corporal.
    Half Screw: Lance Corporal.
    Lance Jack : Lance corporal.
    The Badge: Regimental Sergeant Major.
    Jankers: Means punishment detail.
    Crow: New to the military, this is because new recruits hunch their shoulders when wet and cold, looking like giant crows.
    Sprog: Also a new recruit, can also mean baby or child.
    Oggin just implies water of any variety.. "Pass the oggin I'm thirsty" or "Here comes the sky-oggin - time to get the 'Gary' (Goretex) on". Company Sergeant Majors are also affectionately known as "The Sausage".

Threaders = miserable
    Hoofing = excellent
    Thrashing = corrective PT
    Gen = genuine / real
    harry-von-turbo = mega ie. "I am threaders" = I am not happy. "I am harry-von-turbo-threaders" = I am really not fucking happy.
    Gash = rubbish
    Queens = to bet your eyebrows that you are right. If you lose the bet, you must shave your eyebrows off immediately.
    Pusser = The man that dishes out all the kit, makes all the rules, designs all the manuals. "You are pussers" = You always do things by the book.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fannybaws - Usually an insult to somebody.

Ken - to know. "Do you ken Ken? I ken Ken. Ken kens you."

Deleted
    I'd go with "dépaysement" which is a change of scenery and the feelings that go with it. Can be good, bad, surprising or melancholic.

Or "(se) recroqueviller" which is when you sort of close up on yourself (for whatever reason). It can be used for a plant that's withering and folding on itself for example.

"(se) défenestrer", throw somebody (or yourself) out of a window.

"petite mort", well that's basically an idiom for orgasm.

"y". I have no idea how to even explain that one.

Note that I don't really know much about other languages, so maybe some of those do have translations.

Actually found a video on youtube after I read this thread listing 10 swedish words that are somewhat unique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqzkmn4MgCI
    Kamatari - Endy - Liita

Deleted
    profiter - take advantage
    cassonade - brown sugar

I don't think they use this word in France, but in Belgium, clenche means door handle.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Okay, Europeans from Latin countries more exactly. :P If they don't like those people you need to stop hanging with baby boomers.
    Like 99% of my friend circle prefer people from the nordic area, as do I.

Deleted
    Like 99% of my friend circle prefer people from the nordic area, as do I.
    Damn, is it actually possibly to get laid by speaking Danish? Hot dogs!

Many of these aren't really unique words. Also, compound words don't count! Too many German words are formed by just adding words together.

Acronyms also don't count. The closest word I've seen so far is dreich, apart from the OP.

If you can translate your word into another language using one word, it's not a unique word. Also, as time goes by, there are less and less unique words in most cases.

The only unique word I can think of is bequem. Translations will tell you it means 'comfortable', but what I learned was that it means more than just comfortable, but a sort of comfortable with you friends at a gathering that is not too rowdy, specifically. That could be wrong, though.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2012-12-27 at 01:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    cuero = is the woman of the country :ifyouknowwhatimean:
    maco = ugly woman (really ugly woman) (maco is a kind of frog)
    sapito = cute woman (sapito is the diminitive of sapo and sapo = frog)
    KLK = is a greeting also is like saying : "Hey how are you doing? or hey what's new?"
    pa donde el diablo voto la chancleta = Used when talking about something that's really far away.

ETC.... :P There are a lot of unique words here :P

(For those that speak spanish)
    Note: sometimes we use "pa" instead of "para"

Deleted
    One word that I use a lot is "leidon". It is used in some swedish dialects in Finland. I'm not really sure how to translate it though.. We often say "jag har leidon", which probably means something like "I've had enough" and "I'm bored" combined. It's hard to explain when there's no other word for it.

It's a feeling kind of similiar to frustration but still not exactly the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamatari View Post
    Actually found a video on youtube after I read this thread listing 10 swedish words that are somewhat unique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqzkmn4MgCI
    saw the video, um everything he said we have a word or phrase for in English, although these terms are not things that can be taught in a book as easily.

skadeglädje= Sadism, Gloat, being a douche, being a dick are all ways we would describe that word. ie Like to gloat over the poor and starving while eating my 4x4 burger. (4x4 is 4 patties of meat, 4 slices of cheese, ie a Big Mac is a 2x2, although a small and pointless one with too much bead and not enough meat. )

träningsvärk = Is called "Burn"

Dyng = This is odd because people who are not native speakers of English miss that a day, is not daytime. In English a day is the 24 hour period from midnight to midnight, unless you are Jewish when a Day starts at sunset. Daytime is when the sun is up. some times in English we can drop the Time part of Daytime, when the sentence implies daytime.
    God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.
    The first time day shows up it is the implied 'daytime' the second time it's the 24 hour day.

fjortis = we call them adolescents. or Childish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Many of these aren't really unique words. Also, compound words don't count! Too many German words are formed by just adding words together.

Acronyms also don't count. The closest word I've seen so far is dreich, apart from the OP.

If you can translate your word into another language using one word, it's not a unique word.
    That's considerably problematic in modern times, with the proliferation of databases like the internet where if a new word pops up in another language, and your language doesn't have a word for it, you simply assimilate the other language's word as your own. For example, taiga is a Russian word that was brought into English, as is gulag, babushka, vodka, balalaika, and a dozen other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    That's considerably problematic in modern times, with the proliferation of databases like the internet where if a new word pops up in another language, and your language doesn't have a word for it, you simply assimilate the other language's word as your own. For example, taiga is a Russian word that was brought into English, as is gulag, babushka, vodka, balalaika, and a dozen other things.
    Yeah, I understand that. Kinda why there aren't really very many.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    "Taman" which is actually a Turkish word for "good", we adopted it from the Ottoman invasions of my country i guess. It essentially means when you've done something just right, for example, when you're cooking something and you've neither overcooked or undercooked it. Taman.

"Špajza" is the word for a small room in which you keep any food or drinks that can last for months or years. Most houses actually don't have this room. It's actually a German word, by the way, which i guess comes from all the Austrian hegemony which my country experienced.

"Klošar" is a person who acts, dresses or smells like a homeless person but usually isn't homeless. Also is heavily possessed by alcohol. Oddly enough we actually didn't take this word over from another language!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    English is a language made up of words from every language. And it designed to constantly add new words.

Gang is a Chinese word
    Gung Ho is a Japanese term used in American English.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Damn, is it actually possibly to get laid by speaking Danish? Hot dogs!
    Some dialects/accents of Danish is somewhat hard to understand but I live in south Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    "Taman" which is actually a Turkish word for "good", we adopted it from the Ottoman invasions of my country i guess. It essentially means when you've done something just right, for example, when you're cooking something and you've neither overcooked or undercooked it. Taman.
    See the OP.

"Špajza" is the word for a small room in which you keep any food or drinks that can last for months or years. Most houses actually don't have this room. It's actually a German word, by the way, which i guess comes from all the Austrian hegemony which my country experienced.
    That would be a pantry or cellar.

"Klošar" is a person who acts, dresses or smells like a homeless person but usually isn't homeless. Also is heavily possessed by alcohol. Oddly enough we actually didn't take this word over from another language!
    Hipster.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Sounds almost exactly like "lagom", actually.

---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 02:09 AM ----------

Some dialects/accents of Danish is somewhat hard to understand but I live in south Sweden.
    I live in southern Sweden too, I assume Skåne? That's weird, I've always got the impression women here liked southern Europeans.