Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bogan. Referring to someone or something that is uneducated and lacks cultural and social sophistication.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    True of most of SI's measurements. Not really true of temperature.
    Again, I disagree. Two reasons.

The first is that Celsius' abitration points are set around very common phenomena, 0 being the Freezing point of water, 100 being the boiling point.

The second is that Celsius shares degree intervals with the Kelvin scale, which is scientifically the most correct temperature scale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Again, I disagree. Two reasons.

The first is that Celsius' abitration points are set around very common phenomena, 0 being the Freezing point of water, 100 being the boiling point.

The second is that Celsius shares degree intervals with the Kelvin scale, which is scientifically the most correct temperature scale.
    Kelvin has the most scientifically accurate 0 point, but the degree intervals could have been anything, and happen to line up with celsius because the person making the scale was most comfortable with celsius. Again, it's arbitrary.

And I think the freezing point and boiling point of water is no more nor less significant to people than the comfort range of the human body. I'll grant you that SI measurements for distance, volume, mass, etc. are clearly better than Imperial due to being base ten rather than an amalgamation of various conversion rates, but Celsius is every bit as arbitrary as Fahrenheit.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post

...comes to mind
    Not gonna lie... I don't get it :s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarintha View Post
    Not gonna lie... I don't get it :s
    Most dinosaurs have "don" or "us" at the end of their names.

So it could be like micro (dinosaur)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Most dinosaurs have "don" or "us" at the end of their names.

So it could be like micro (dinosaur)
    I now feel like an idiot...

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    I'd say Celsius here because it makes a lot more sense to have it based on the freezing and boiling temperature of water, than... what is F based on anyway? But I guess that's a matter of opinion.

EDIT: Also I guess that most physical and chemical formulas are easier to count with Celsius, but I'm not sure about this.
    Taken from WIkipedia:

According to an article Fahrenheit wrote in 1724, he based his scale on three reference points of temperature.[7] In his initial scale (which is not the final Fahrenheit scale), the zero point is determined by placing the thermometer in brine: he used a mixture of ice, water, and ammonium chloride, a salt, at a 1:1:1 ratio. This is a frigorific mixture which stabilizes its temperature automatically: that stable temperature was defined as 0 °F (−17.78 °C). The second point, at 32 degrees, was a mixture of ice and water without the ammonium chloride at a 1:1 ratio. The third point, 96 degrees, was approximately the human body temperature, then called "blood-heat".[9]

According to a letter Fahrenheit wrote to his friend Herman Boerhaave,[10] his scale was built on the work of Ole Rømer, whom he had met earlier. In Rømer's scale, brine freezes at zero, water freezes and melts at 7.5 degrees, body temperature is 22.5, and water boils at 60 degrees. Fahrenheit multiplied each value by four in order to eliminate fractions and increase the granularity of the scale. He then re-calibrated his scale using the melting point of ice and normal human body temperature (which were at 30 and 90 degrees); he adjusted the scale so that the melting point of ice would be 32 degrees and body temperature 96 degrees, so that 64 intervals would separate the two, allowing him to mark degree lines on his instruments by simply bisecting the interval six times (since 64 is 2 to the sixth power).[9][11]

Fahrenheit observed that water boils at about 212 degrees using this scale. Later, other scientists decided to redefine the degree slightly to make the freezing point exactly 32 °F, and the boiling point exactly 212 °F or 180 degrees higher.[citation needed] It is for this reason that normal human body temperature is approximately 98° (oral temperature) on the revised scale (whereas it was 90° on Fahrenheit's multiplication of Rømer, and 96° on his original scale)

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    I always had a much easier time learning English compared to German, but thats just me. Never considered english a hard language to learn. ;P

Swedish morphology is similar to English as well... that is, words have comparatively few inflections. There are two genders, two grammatical cases, and a distinction between plural and singular. German on the other hand got 3 genders, 4 grammatical cases and more inflectional endings etc etc.

So yeah, English was a walk in the park for me compared to German.
    Try 7 grammatical cases (Croatian). On the other hand every single letter in Croatian is always pronounced the same regardless of its position in a word or of adjacent letters so it's not all bad. I find it funny when English-speaking people get irritated by the amount of silent letters in French because for us Croats the amount of silent letters in our language (none) compared to English is about as much less as there is in English compared to French.

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Thanks for finding that, cleared it up for me in terms of how the systems work, though I do wonder why the two exist and not just one that is completely dominant.
    Oh well, slightly off topic but you might as well ask why the SI system isn't completely dominant in all countries.

Regarding Fahrenheit vs. Celsius. I don't really think there's any benefit in C over F besides the fact that 0 and 100 are numbers that are a bit nicer than 32 and 212. But that doesn't matter so they're pretty much the same. One could argue, though, that the entire world except the US has C which would kind of make it beneficial for the US to switch over as well.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2012-12-29 at 11:37 AM.

Deleted
    Another common word used by most swedishspeaking finns is "Frass". A "Frass" is a male cat. I just now found out that it's dialect.. had always thought swedes used it aswell.

Pineapple

10char

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortain View Post
    Another common word used by most swedishspeaking finns is "Frass". A "Frass" is a male cat. I just now found out that it's dialect.. had always thought swedes used it aswell.
    In English we call a male cat a Tom or Tomcat, which is funny because a Tomboy is a human female who acts like a boy.

Deleted
    Do not know if Hen has been mentioned yet... It is suppsed to replace Han (Him) and Hon (Her) since here in Sweden we are not going to have genders anymore. I rather die than start using that word.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerdozia View Post
    Do not know if Hen has been mentioned yet... It is suppsed to replace Han (Him) and Hon (Her) since here in Sweden we are not going to have genders anymore. I rather die than start using that word.
    we have something like that in english, but nobody uses it.

instead of he and she, some people want to use 'ze' instead as to not be sexist or something.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    we have something like that in english, but nobody uses it.

instead of he and she, some people want to use 'ze' instead as to not be sexist or something.
    Oh, Never heard of it Thought it was some retarded Swedish thing. Still wont use it though!

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, Never heard of it Thought it was some retarded Swedish thing. Still wont use it though!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender-neutral_pronoun

I'm a gender Neutral person and I find it stupid.

It is suppsed to replace Han (Him) and Hon (Her) since here in Sweden we are not going to have genders anymore. I rather die than start using that word.
    Where did you read that? It's not going to replace anything. It's not even recommended to be used in situations when it would make sense to have a gender neutral pronoun. They recommand us to use den rather then hen.

Språkrådet rekommenderar att man använder formuleringar som "När kunden har fått hem varan ska den källsortera emballaget", alltså den istället för hen, när det handlar om att undvika omständliga formuleringar (som "han eller hon") när man talar om personer i allmänhet.
    Don't freak the fuck out over nothing.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2012-12-29 at 07:13 AM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Where did you read that? It's not going to replace anything. It's not even recommended to be used in situations when it would make sense to have a gender neutral pronoun. They recommand us to use den rather then hen.

Don't freak the fuck out over nothing.
    What does the swedish part say. Google translate gave me gibberish.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    What does the swedish part say. Google translate gave me gibberish.
    It just says that the language council(språkrådet), which is the agency that is responsible for the development of the swedish language recommends the use of den(it), rather then hen(gender neutral pronoun) in situations when both sexes are concerned. And then there is an example.

The example used:
    "When the costumer has recieved the goods, they(den) should recycle the packaging".
    När kunden har fått hem varan ska den källsortera emballaget
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2012-12-29 at 08:27 AM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Australian

Drongo- Commonly used at someone who acts like a fool, idiot, clown, moron or does not sound entirely clever and is known to make frequent silly mistakes or do really silly things
    Dag- funny/silly person.. Or the other meaning is the poop hanging off the end of a sheep, but when referred to people it means you are a silly/funny/idiotic/amusing person
    Wheelie bin- Known as trash can everywhere else it seems, but here they are bins with wheels
    Whipper Snipper- Known as weed hacker everywhere else it seems
    Sheila- Woman/girl/lady
    Bloke- man/boy
    Mate- friendly word used very frequently in australia, it is used both positively and negatively, but often it is used as a common greeting to familiars or people you respect.
    Crauchie- yabbie
    Cocky- cockatoo or cockroach, usually mostly used for cockatoo
    Lorrie- lorikeet
    Willy willy- dust devil, aka dirt/dust tornado
    nong- similar use as drongo
    barbie- barbeque
    Bitzer- crossbred dog or mongrel dog of unknown breed
    Bullbar- the metal sheilding bar across the front of a car- often on 4WD.
    Blowie- Blowfly
    Mozzie- mosquito
    Banana Bender- Queenslander
    Esky- I think everywhere else it is called a cooler? its the plastic box you fill with ice and put your drinks in when camping.
    Hoon/hooner- moron/idiot - often used when someone acts like a hero and takes off in their car - hooner. It is an insulting term used frequently against idiot drivers as a way to express frustration and disappointment in their selfless actions
    Ratbag- term used often at children as an alternative to swearing, meaning they are little troublemakers. This is often used as a joking insult, eg- child does something bad but it is still amusing, like a child drawing nikko all over their face, the parent would joke calling them a ratbag. Also used on pets in the same manner.
    Buggered- Used to say something is broken/not working and probably not able to be fixed. Also used as a way to express yourself "I am buggered" meaning you are worn out and tired.

And I wanted to point this one out separately

SWAG- a bedroll which is both a waterproof sleeping bag and a tent in one, used for camping and travelling- it was made to be able to be rolled up for easy packing while traveling on horseback for cattle herders but also to prevent succumbing to being attacked by mozzies and flies (we have some nasty blood sucker flies called horse flies)

So every time you say swag, to most Australian's they think you are talking about a bedroll and have no clue what half you drongo's are on about when you suddenly blurt out swag as it sounds like you are demanding a bedroll.

Slore - Slut and a Whore