Building Gaming PC, hows this build? ($1150)

I am building/planning to build a gaming PC, and I asking whats the opinion on these parts and how well they work together for gaming in full HD. Yes, I do need an operating system and would highly prefer Windows 7 & a Nvidia Graphics Card, thanks for the help in advanced. It is for general gaming, not just WoW (WoW would be high/ultra setting with 30FPS+ in a 25 man raid setting if that matters)

If it matters I am in the US. My budget is $1150, but I can go a little over.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/uiFD

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Thermaltake CLP0564 101.6 CFM CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card
    Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
    Optical Drive: LG UH12NS29 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)
    Total: $1147.86
    Last edited by torterra275; 2012-12-26 at 11:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my opinion, drop the Blu-Ray drive and get a regular DVDR and an SSD. The rest of it looks about right.

Needs an SSD. Not sure where you could cut costs though. Get a small SSD and move down a step to a 660ti if you aren't going super ultra eye candy. If there is room in the budget for a little more though just add a 128GB+ SSD to the mix.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair...l8gx3m2a1600c9 get this ram instead those big blue heat spreaders are worthless and only cause issues in mounting some cpu coolers.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

Get an SSD in there and it'll be golden.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Alright then, pick up a SSD and cut down on the disk drive and possibly graphics for it? Think it will do that, thanks for the help and I hope for the best of luck building this.

Don't sacrifice your GPU for an SSD. It's nice, but it won't give you any benefit in games other than somewhat faster load times. If anything sacrifice the BD drive for it, as playing them on the computer is an enormous pain to begin with due to the draconian DRM, and optical media is becoming less and less relevant as time goes on. It's doubtful that the medium will survive long enough for software and (PC) games to need to be stored on it.

If you are near a Micro Center, they have the i% 3570k @$189.99 straight up, no rebates required and the Motherboard at $94.99 when buying both the CPU and MoBo at the same time. That one also has a $15.00 rebate, so it nets to $79.99. Unfortunately these are store pick up only items so you need to go into a store to grab them, but you can purchase online.

That's $50.00 right there, get a DVD drive versus a Blue ray for around $15-$17 bucks, thats another $30.00. So you got $80.00 towards that SSD everyone is recommending. You can easily get a 120gb SSD for a good company for $100.00 these days, so it'll just hit your budget for another $20. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader Cronus View Post
    Don't sacrifice your GPU for an SSD. It's nice, but it won't give you any benefit in games other than somewhat faster load times. If anything sacrifice the BD drive for it, as playing them on the computer is an enormous pain to begin with due to the draconian DRM, and optical media is becoming less and less relevant as time goes on. It's doubtful that the medium will survive long enough for software and (PC) games to need to be stored on it.
    I disagree... on the first part anyway. SSD's are just amazing. It's not just about improving your gaming experience/load times... your entire computer using experience is far better. I would never build another PC without one in it from the start unless I was building one for someone else with a super low budget. What you want to downgrade to stay within budget is up to you but I don't recommend skipping over an SSD entirely especially with a >$1000 total.

Well I guess it's not that I disagree but that I think you're not considering the bigger picture.

I never recommend to sacrifice GPU/CPU power in a gaming focused build, because gaming hardly benefits at all from an SSD (in this build, gaming benefits even less from a BD drive). Of course it's a plus to other activities, but once you're in game it hardly matters. Once you've picked your GPU in a new build there's really no improving upon it later on, especially in $300+ price range. Most people will be stuck with their GPU/CPU for a good long time. It's a whole lot simpler and efficient to go without a $100 SSD for a bit and add one later down the line than to sacrifice performance in a part you're going to have for quite some time. In this particular case he isn't spending extra on a boot HDD. The HDD he chose will still be just as useful for the majority of data storage after adding a boot SSD further down the line.

10+ Year Old Account
    Optical Drives are on their death bed, tbh. What resolution are you planning to use? What games? At 1080p, there is little to no difference between the GTX 670 and the 660 Ti. Additionally, the 660 ti has better Bang For your Buck. I'd go with the 660ti if youre going 1080p and get an SSD.

Depends on what games too, some games gain zero benefits from an ssd, but some games gain a pretty nice fps boost.
    And I cant tell much about nVidia cards (dont have my eyes on them) but depending on how much you sacrifics from gpu to ssd, it can be a gain overall for both system and games.
    A 120GB SSD is not much expensive this days
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 | AMD FX-8320 @ 4.5GHz | Corsair H80i | 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz Cl9 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Vapor-X GHz Edition |
    XFX ProSeries XXX 850W | Fractal Design Define R4 | Samsung 840 ProSerie 256GB | 3TB HDD

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer1989 View Post
    Depends on what games too, some games gain zero benefits from an ssd, but some games gain a pretty nice fps boost.
    No, they don't.

No, they don't.
    Saw some test a gaming magazine did for ½ year ago, and what I saw there was they gain some fps.. You have any other profs that they dont?
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 | AMD FX-8320 @ 4.5GHz | Corsair H80i | 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz Cl9 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Vapor-X GHz Edition |
    XFX ProSeries XXX 850W | Fractal Design Define R4 | Samsung 840 ProSerie 256GB | 3TB HDD

Deleted
    Saw some test a gaming magazine did for ½ year ago, and what I saw there was they gain some fps.. You have any other profs that they dont?
    You first have to prove such an article exists to prove your point before you wish people to start disproving your nonsense.

The burden of proof falls upon the person making outlandish and nonsensical claims. There's no reason to think that SSDs provide an increase in FPS because there's no reason why they would. The memory that matters in that regard is RAM and VRAM, the SSD simply loads data into them more quickly and with less latency than an HDD.
    Last edited by Berserker Cronus; 2012-12-28 at 01:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    You first have to prove such an article exists to prove your point before you wish people to start disproving your nonsense.
    Well to be fair he said first that ssd wont gain any benefits in game other then load times.

The burden of proof falls upon the person making outlandish and nonsensical claims. There's no reason to think that SSDs provide an increase in FPS because there's no reason why they would. The memory that matters in that regard is RAM and VRAM, the SSD simply loads data into them more quickly and with less latency than an HDD.
    Cant remeber what magazin it was.. sadly enough.
    But after some random looking on the interweb. I can see alot of diffrent post about gaining "minimum fps" (more of what matters, then gaining 1fps from 70fps) and less filler texture. Sometimes you can and will notice. Sometimes not.

I wont say that a ssd is better then going down from a AMD 7970 to a 7870, but there is many diffrent. lets say 7970, all from a core model, to a vapor-x to a direct-cu etc etc. Cheapest is for 3200 SEK to 4500 SEK as most expensive. And just here is easy to save 500-700 SEK for not going with the most expensive + save for bluray player and get a 120GB SSD.
    (As I said I dont know much about nVidia card to make a statment on those card. therefore I use amd card's now so I dont say wrong :P)
    Also you use your computer more then 100% gaming, starting the computer, starting the games, loading (all this where ssd shine's) and also other applications to load up etc.
    A ssd is one of the best thing to get for a computer if you have a middle-top build computer.

Found a link, with some part's copy from some test from intel.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...n-A-LIST-Games
    the poster there posted a link to the test but the link itself dont work sadly =/

10+ Year Old Account
    You could shave off some money by going with a 660 instead of a 670. The difference there is really negligible for most games, unless you're playing at some unheard of resolution on a gigantic screen.