Page 1 of 20
... LastLast

PC's becoming obsolete?

You see it written in articles or on the news that PC's are becoming obsolete. Do you agree with this? Personally I prefer a PC to a tablet or laptop, and don't think I'd switch over any time soon. You can make the argument that consoles will take over, but many people prefer a mouse and keyboard to play video games or just to do anything in general.

What are your thoughts on PC's becoming obsolete?

Deleted
    I prefer the tactile response of a PC over the touchscreen of a smart phone or tablet. PCs are not going anywhere anytime soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pc's will always out compute laptops and tablets, that is just how it works. People who want power > portability and style will always choose a desktop over a laptop or a tablet meaning there will always be a market for them.
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
    H. L. Mencken

10+ Year Old Account
    Not for gamers. At least not anytime soon.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Deleted
    You can't exactly upgrade a console.. You can always upgrade a pc.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    eh, I choose portability and power. M18x w/ 32g ram
    nom

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish they would release an upgrade-able console, and release an upgrade kit every 2-3 years for a few hundred dollars. It would be interesting to see how the first upgrade-able console would turn out.

Not gonna happen in the near future IMO. All those who like tablets/laptops are already using those, I think enthusiasts will keep the PC going for a while yet.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

No chance. No chance at all. Not for many years/decades.

Various people will talk up the rise of the tablet etc but realistically the amount of real, productive work that is done on these devices is utterly minimal. I suspect that 99.9999% of activity on tablet/smartphones is monging around on facebook and other pointless shit.

We rolled out iPads to various executives where I work, apart from accessing e-mail they do nothing work related on them. Most of them ended up leaving them at home for the kids to play on. An utter waste of time and money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindyourbaal View Post
    Pc's will always out compute laptops and tablets, that is just how it works. People who want power > portability and style will always choose a desktop over a laptop or a tablet meaning there will always be a market for them.
    Until cloud computing becomes a standard, there will always be room for a PC.

10+ Year Old Account
    It wouldn't surprise me if tablets became more common than PCs for all those people who primarily use their computer for email, web surfing, and stuff like reading docs and accessing photos. But I don't think it will be anytime soon that they completely replace PCs as there are still plenty of applications that require or prefer peripherals or more advanced hardware.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    I wouldn`t of thought so, not for eons to come.
    Tower units so much easier to upgrade, repair etc.
    That & why play games or similar, when half the time your hand is blocking part of the screen just so that you can move in game?

EDIT:
    Just had a mate start playing GW2 & he surprised me, when he said he plays via his 27" touch screen.
    This could be interesting ;p
    Last edited by mmoca2c81d9292; 2012-12-27 at 06:49 PM.

Nope. PC's I don't think will ever become obsolete, there will always be a use for them.

Until we can get virtual reality and everything just beamed into our brain. (Which could be awhile until it's fully available to public)

Deleted
    depends on what its for.

Business use, where you need to have your data on hand and are on the move, then a laptop / tablet is far more desirable than a desktop PC.
    Creating 3d animation, high end gaming or anything else that require a lot of "horsepower under the hood" then a desktop will always win out.
    If you want party time games with friends at the same time in the same location, or an easy to manage games platform then a console will be the best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    I wish they would release an upgrade-able console, and release an upgrade kit every 2-3 years for a few hundred dollars. It would be interesting to see how the first upgrade-able console would turn out.
    Doubt it'll happen. Many people just want a console cause they can just plug it in and play without having to do any setup.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Deleted
    Tablets are supposed to be fairly portable, thus they don't offer huge screens nor a comfortable way to type (I hate tablet keyboards, they always make my fingers hurt), which is basically the only reason the PC will stay. However, I do believe TVs and computers will merge pretty soon since TVs don't really offer all that much that can't be achieved by a PC. So with that said, I believe PCs and TVs will be wiped out fairly soon by the PTVC (Personal Television Computer). When the PTVC is wiped out it's not gonna be wiped out, but simply replaced by expandable tablets with an included expendable keyboard for easy travelling use.

And again, tablets are great for travelling, but they're not cozy, at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    This is a question that always comes up when non-nerds see a new technology. The answer is no.

There are 6 areas for computing devices.

Small handheld: Calculator, Smart Phone, PDA
    Medium/Large hand held: Tablets
    Small portable: Netbooks
    Medium portable: Laptops
    Large semi portable: Desktop replacement Laptops (ie big gaming style Laptops)
    Desk top: PC's

Each of these things are used differently, although there can be overlap. The Desktop is best for large projects full scale gaming.

The laptops are good for work, and desktop replacements when you are always on the move.
    Handheld devices have a ton of uses but each size group has unique uses.
    Last edited by Gothicshark; 2012-12-27 at 12:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saying this for a while. PCs are all but dead to the majority of consumers. This is the last PC I will buy.

Power swower. PCs can already do almost anything that the normal user will ever need.

Wait, I will have a PC if it is required for a 3D printer.
    I like sandwiches

Deleted
    The PC is still far more effective when movement isn't necessary, they will always be more powerful than a portable unit.

Deleted
    I can understand the reasoning but I still think that PC's will stand strong for a while; however I could agree that tablets will be more predominant than desktops in most families.