Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by TaurenNinja View Post
    So yes, there will be demand for fewer PCs of course, but they're still a necessity. The IT industry spins this as the death of the PC because it's fucking sensationalist.
    yeah i think they just looking at pc pre built box sales not parts l think its more people building there own now

How are PC's becoming obsolete when the very nature to PC gaming is superior to consoles in every way?

Microsoft once was testing out multiplayer on a new Halo game and pitched PC players against console players to see if cross-platform would work. The PC players destroyed the console players.

You shouldn't be going to WalMart to buy your PC. The joy is in building it yourself.
    They said I was trolling! HAH!

PCs are stepping aside on consumer field, definitely. With more hardware-requiring static applications, servers etc. it will hold it's ground I think.

Quote Originally Posted by praevalens View Post
    How are PC's becoming obsolete when the very nature to PC gaming is superior to consoles in every way?

Microsoft once was testing out multiplayer on a new Halo game and pitched PC players against console players to see if cross-platform would work. The PC players destroyed the console players.

You shouldn't be going to WalMart to buy your PC. The joy is in building it yourself.
    Consoles have always been more accessible and have served the gaming function better - the possibly better performance with a mouse+keyboard doesn't change that fact.
    Last edited by Kasami; 2013-08-01 at 02:35 PM.
    WoW killers are like the end of the world, they come and go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    yeah, see the developers just flipped you the finger.

no.........

The Patient
    Quote Originally Posted by d0oms View Post
    Until a laptop can be as powerful as a pc and not overheat the PC will always be there in great numbers
    I agree that there will always be plenty of desktops, but in most cases it's not because they are more powerful than laptops. That's only an issue if you're considering really high end workstations and gaming rigs. There are plenty of laptops with decent GPUs that don't overheat. Even if that weren't the case, most consumers aren't even familiar with this issue. More importantly, the vast majority of desktops don't contain hardware that would be taxing on a laptop. The majority of desktops are in use because they are cheaper to build and maintain. This will probably always be the case. Even if tablets and laptops overcome their shortcomings, desktop hardware will probably advance just as quickly, leaving it either as the cheaper, more flexible, or more powerful alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by lonefalcon View Post
    yeah i think they just looking at pc pre built box sales not parts l think its more people building there own now
    That and they don't count laptops and tablets and Apples as PCs, because they're sensationalist.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by praevalens View Post
    The industry has tried that at least a dozen times with AAA titles and they always act shocked when they see the results: it's silly. As a former semi-pro FPS player, I can twitch a headshot in a fifth of a second with a mouse in things like counter-strikes, quakes and CoDs (and for competitive FPS, I'm considered "bad" at twitching). I've seen the supposedly pro console FPS'rs play - and it takes them like half a second (2.5 times longer) just to centre-mass spray at people using a joystick - and I don't blame them - it takes me like 5 seconds to make a joystick go in the area I want it to, so they're gods by comparison given the terrible implements they have mastered: but any noob with a mouse can out-shoot the best joystick FPS'r any day of the week IMO.

Playing competitive FPS on a console is like claiming you are the Worlds Best Eater of Spaghetti using a single Greased Chopstick. Respectable, in it's own strange way - but anybody with a fork is going to have a much more enjoyable meal.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

If the RAM breaks on my PC, I can remove it, get it into the shop for replacement and get a new one. All within less than 2 hours. This will be significantly more difficult on a laptop and not possible on a tablet/smartphone.
    The majority of people who work at computer repair stores are stupid, and the fact that I have to rely on someone like them to fix a hardware problem on my laptop horrifies me.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2013-08-01 at 07:01 PM.

No they aren't. Even simply browsing the web I can fill 8GB RAM pretty quickly, because I don't like to close tabs. I usually have between 50-60 tabs open at the same time plus a ton of other software in the background. Tablets can't handle heavy multitasking.
    The average PC user isn't like you, they aren't going to open 60 tabs in Firefox and leave them open. They're going to open a few at a time and close them before opening more.

PCs that are designed for light use such as this, for the average college student, office employee, or grandparents, are becoming obsolete because tablets, phones, and netbooks can handle those basic tasks every bit as well as a PC can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin
    Why? Because fuck you, that's why.

Every time you have a question that begins with "Why?" that is about what other people prefer to do with their own goddamn time, come back here, and reread the first row of this post. That will ALWAYS be the answer to your question. Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbait View Post
    I wouldn`t of thought so, not for eons to come.
    Tower units so much easier to upgrade, repair etc.
    That & why play games or similar, when half the time your hand is blocking part of the screen just so that you can move in game?

EDIT:
    Just had a mate start playing GW2 & he surprised me, when he said he plays via his 27" touch screen.
    This could be interesting ;p
    I think the novelty of being able to click your abilities on your monitor will wear off... quickly. Especially considering it's not exactly "comfortable".