Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Warlock VS Spriest

So, for the first time I am wanting to step into arena and the pvp scene. I was wondering from some of you players who are already playing these classes what is the current state of both in PvP Arenas, World PvP, Etc. Also quick vague question on a scale of 1-10 i guess how would you rate them in pvp play.

Thanks.
    Check out my livestream and follow me on twitter.
    /
    I Livestream and do giveaways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's say that many top warlocks will be rerolling shadowpriest or other classes for 5.2
    I'd rate shadowpriest an 8/10, warlocks a 5/10, 2/10 if all the nerfs in 5.2 make it live.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    warlocks a 5/10, 2/10 if all the nerfs in 5.2 make it live.
    Hahaha, oh man. Thanks for the laugh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edlike View Post
    Hahaha, oh man. Thanks for the laugh.
    So, you think they should be rated higher, care to explain why?

10+ Year Old Account
    2/10 is just such an exaggeration. What class would be 1/10? A shockadin?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rate both a 7/10 right now really. I don't think the the upcoming nerfs are as soul crushing as others might. I play destro exclusively on my lock though.

Deleted
    Shadowpriests are superior and will continue to be so in 5.2.
    They have better damage, better survivability, better utility and fits with more comps than a warlock.

Sad but true...

Quote Originally Posted by saltyharbls View Post
    Shadowpriests are superior and will continue to be so in 5.2.
    They have better damage, better survivability, better utility and fits with more comps than a warlock.

Sad but true...
    Not really better damage, but correct on the rest. Spriest will be the dominant caster in 5.2 if the patch notes remain unchanged.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    Not really better damage, but correct on the rest. Spriest will be the dominant caster in 5.2 if the patch notes remain unchanged.
    The amount of gimmicks in both destruction and demonology before you can put out "big damage" is horrible and with the state
    of afflictions dots hitting for ridicolosly low damage makes the shadowpriest as whole a generally better spec for dealing damage.

Im talking arenas btw. Im not talking about bg/rbgs where destruction warlocks can freecast chaos bolts on anything with little to no risk of being interrupted.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The amount of gimmicks in both destruction and demonology before you can put out "big damage" is horrible and with the state
    of afflictions dots hitting for ridicolosly low damage makes the shadowpriest as whole a generally better spec for dealing damage.

Im talking arenas btw. Im not talking about bg/rbgs where destruction warlocks can freecast chaos bolts on anything with little to no risk of being interrupted.
    Then have every bg hero ( Like myself) that's not a warlock be like OH NOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES I GOT FREE CCASTED a chaosbolt that hit for like 9999k IN A BG QQQQQQQQQQQQQ oh okay guys well nerf it cuz u no we cool SRRY LOCKS

:3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by -Apathy- View Post
    Then have every bg hero ( Like myself) that's not a warlock be like OH NOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES I GOT FREE CCASTED a chaosbolt that hit for like 9999k IN A BG QQQQQQQQQQQQQ oh okay guys well nerf it cuz u no we cool SRRY LOCKS

:3
    So are you also rerolling shadowpriest then? Mine is 86 as we speak! :P

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So are you also rerolling shadowpriest then? Mine is 86 as we speak! :P
    Mmmh nah I'm still enduring mine due to the green fire thing however I may play my rogue again due to 5.2 buffs lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by -Apathy- View Post
    Mmmh nah I'm still enduring mine due to the green fire thing however I may play my rogue again due to 5.2 buffs lol
    Green fire... im playing affliction. Green fire means nothing to me :/

15+ Year Old Account
    Affliction is actually fantastic right now, everyone just got hyped up on being able to two-shot people with Destruction/Demonology, and the thought of playing a spec that spends its time having to actually CC (without blood fear), debuff (which most locks this season seem to not even bind), and dot (highly unexciting compared to two-shotting someone) - is wasted on them. Affliction with Unbound Will and an Imp pet for defensive dispels is probably the strongest utility class in arenas right now (not joking).

Also, Salty I don't know where your getting the idea that lock damage is low right now in general, or that affliction dots hit for "ridiculously low damage". Affliction is Far And Away the best DoT class in the game now, zero contest - it's hardly even fair to call boomies and spriests DoT classes compared to what Affliction is still capable of. Affliction dots hit harder, there are more of them, they tick faster, they spread faster, and they have the best dispel protection in the game: better on all accounts.

With Rogues returning to arenas, and Rshamans not getting nerfed, expect to see the raucous return of RLS (and MLS) this season, if anything ;p

The age of the One-Shot Warlock has come to an end, but the saga of warlock arena competitiveness is far from over.

I'm of course not saying Shadow is bad right now or anything - Shadow is in an amazing spot if they have an Fmage on their team - but I wouldn't rate warlocks lower than Shadow right now, let alone your absurd 2/10 for 5.2 prediction. If anything, they stand to get comparably stronger in 5.2.
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2012-12-27 at 03:25 AM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently got a monk sitting at 90, and will likely level my rogue to 90 as well to play in 5.2...
    I can't even find a proper 3s team for my warlock to reach 2.2k, despite having played at 3k in cata...

Our selfhealing has gone down the drain due the fatigue buff/nerf, whatever u feel like calling it, with cooldowns we can crit hard, but we never get to land a chaosbolt during cooldowns and without cooldowns our damage is a joke... and we still won't be landing chaosbolts...
    Everything that made demonology strong is nerfed to the ground, affliction damage is subpar to other dotclasses due MG being stupid for pvp...

Our selfhealing already took a massive hit due the battle fatigue nerf, yet the healthcost of our spells is the same ( looking at you lifetap and blood fear). Heck why they are forced to implement new glyphs that buff our selfhealing by a little...
    Sacrifical pact is getting nerfed to the ground, not even worth taking anymore.

There only is one real reason to take a warlock right now, for blood fear. if it wasn't because of blood fear, you wouldn't see locks at high rating.
    It's not because of chaosbolt, not because of chaoswave, not because of spreading aids that warlocks are viable, it's because of blood fear
    And guess what, it's getting nerfed to the bottom of a bottomless hole.

On the other hand, shadow priests were very strong at the begin of mop and they still are. Sure they took a healing nerf as well, just like every class, but besides that, they didn't see many nerfs and are now, and after 5.2 still among the top of pvp.

As for now, they bring superior damage and superior utility, a good amount of cc and unlike warlocks, they don't have to choose between a silence and a disarm...
    Not to mention their survivability is as good as a warlock's, if not better by now, it sure will be after the patch.

@Yvaelle; Really, affliction ain't that strong. UA simply doesn't cut it anymore as a dispel protection with all the changes, not to mention the damage isn't something to be afraid off.
    Sure dots do good damage, when channeling MG, but with all the cc and interrupts going around, you are rarely given a chance to channel it.
    Also, imp and unbound will? You gimp yourself with that. A blanket silence with lockout potential is sooo much stronger than a defensive dispel, especially when you already have a 2nd pvp trinket. Not to mention that your damage will be pathetic when you spend so much time getting fears off.
    Last edited by Nicola; 2012-12-27 at 03:38 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    I'm of course not saying Shadow is bad right now or anything - Shadow is in an amazing spot if they have an Fmage on their team - but I wouldn't rate warlocks lower than Shadow right now, let alone your absurd 2/10 for 5.2 prediction. If anything, they stand to get comparably stronger in 5.2.
    Warlocks are losing Blood Fear, Sacrificial Pact and Silence and as it stands now, receiving absolutely nothing in return. Furthermore, except for these last three months, Rogues have always been a hard counter to Locks and they are buffing them through the roof. Things will get a lot worse for Warlocks in 5.2. Also, there's probably a reason you don't see many locks running with Imp right now and that's because it's inferior to Felhunter's silence.

If you're trying to argue that Warlocks are not worse than Spriests right now, I doubt you'll find anyone who's going to agree. Shadowpriests work in many more comps than Warlocks do, have equal/superior damage to Warlocks, yet bring infinitely more utility to their team. Along with Warriors and Ferals, they are top tier right now and the former two are getting nerfed. Honestly, I'll be very surprised if Blizzard allows them to stay in their current state going into 5.2.
    Last edited by mmocf11091e3a8; 2012-12-27 at 03:49 AM.

Shadow was in a great state this season because there were just too f many unavoidable instant CCs that having MD on the team was far far more forgiving.

The multiple changes to CCs in the current patch notes will make SPs' "relative" utility go down. It SHOULD* (depends on how they rebalance healing values) increase the odds of games ending over shear pressure (healers ooming) in which affliction locks and even demo locks currently beat SPs by a good margin.

I still think shadow priests will shine the most but the class also has a much steeper skill cap than locks when it comes down to pvp. At lower level of pvp and in RBGs, locks will still outdo priests.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deau View Post
    Shadow was in a great state this season because there were just too f many unavoidable instant CCs that having MD on the team was far far more forgiving.

The multiple changes to CCs in the current patch notes will make SPs' "relative" utility go down. It SHOULD* (depends on how they rebalance healing values) increase the odds of games ending over shear pressure (healers ooming) in which affliction locks and even demo locks currently beat SPs by a good margin.

I still think shadow priests will shine the most but the class also has a much steeper skill cap than locks when it comes down to pvp. At lower level of pvp and in RBGs, locks will still outdo priests.
    Wait what?
    Their utility will go down because they are not getting any nerfs while other classes get their cc nerfed, some harder than other...

Also, if warlocks are currently so amazing as people say here, why is the representation of affliction warlocks almost non existent above 2.2k rating?
    Not counting incomplete teams, there's a grand total of 1 affliction warlock above 2.2k on my battlegroup, mistery eu, argued to be the best battlegroup in europe.
    A grand total of 6 warlocks above 2.2k compared to 17 shadowpriests above 2.2k....

When one single spec, is almost three times as much represented as a whole class, it means something. That either one spec is extremely good, or that the other class is just terrible.
    In this case, it's a combination of both. Warlocks are in a very bad state now, and getting nerfed to useless, shadowpriests on the other hand are very good and not getting nerfed.

Heck, I even took the time to look at the other "best" battlegroup in europe, cyclone.
    3 affliction warlocks above 2.2k, a grand total of 7 warlocks if we include the demo and destro warlocks. On the other hand there are 11 shadowpriests.
    Again, I didn't count incomplete teams.

I think I kinda proved my point here that shadowpriests are far superior to warlocks, and since warlocks will be taking a massive nerf in 5.2, they'll likely become as useless as elemental shamans are right now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Affliction is actually fantastic right now
    The 1.9% of players above 2200 in the world that plays affliction might not agree to being _fantastic_.
    But im not disagreeing that you believe they are fantastic because you actually seem to think that they are.
    Its sad because come 5.2 they will be put in an even worse state then now.
    Last edited by mmocb47e9d5b09; 2012-12-27 at 10:47 AM.

Deleted
    Well, Shadow Priest is definitely a bit stronger atm and easier to start with, but to be completely honest, Warlock is a very tricky class and if you give it a chance and really master it, you can definitely make your way to the top of Arena teams.