Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
  1. #61
    Scarab Lord AceofHarts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanavi View Post
    Eye of the World is an origins novel, the beginning. In the next book, The Great Hunt, without giving away too much information, rest assured that Rand begins to accept responsibility and takes more direct action, and not just with the One Power but with the sword. It's actually enjoyable to see the characters progress, because it adds a bit of realism (if you can even say that) to a fantasy story. By the third book and onwards, the boys have grown up.
    well as much as mat can grow up anyways. Perrin seems to be reliable as early as the 3rd book, as does Rand, i don't think Mat actually "grows up" until after book 5 ends.

  2. #62
    Legendary! Spl4sh3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,692
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    well as much as mat can grow up anyways. Perrin seems to be reliable as early as the 3rd book, as does Rand, i don't think Mat actually "grows up" until after book 5 ends.
    I like Matrim the most, don't pick on him!

    Guess this didn't have much to do with the topic so I'll add another recommendation, Harry Potter. The books are so much better than the movies. If you can stop picturing the actual movie characters when you read about them in the book.

  3. #63
    Scarab Lord AceofHarts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    I like Matrim the most, don't pick on him!

    Guess this didn't have much to do with the topic so I'll add another recommendation, Harry Potter. The books are so much better than the movies. If you can stop picturing the actual movie characters when you read about them in the book.
    i like Matrim too! *points to avatar* that doesnt change the fact that he tries to dodge any sense of responsibility until the major battle in Fires of Heaven.

  4. #64
    High Overlord Sanavi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    well as much as mat can grow up anyways. Perrin seems to be reliable as early as the 3rd book, as does Rand, i don't think Mat actually "grows up" until after book 5 ends.
    Yeah, Mat does come into his own in book 5. He shows some flair of manhood at the end of 3, though, and a portent of things to come. /wink

  5. #65
    Scarab Lord AceofHarts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanavi View Post
    Yeah, Mat does come into his own in book 5. He shows some flair of manhood at the end of 3, though, and a portent of things to come. /wink
    true, but he spends up to the latter half of Fires of Heaven trying to dodge anything looking like responsibility. and to be fair, after the way Egwene, Elayne, and Nynaeve treated him after he charged into the stone (For all intents and purposes alone) to pull them out (in book 3), can you blaim him for being hesitant to do anything?

    he assaulted an entire FORTRESS to save them, and they pretty much shat all over him.

  6. #66
    High Overlord Sanavi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    true, but he spends up to the latter half of Fires of Heaven trying to dodge anything looking like responsibility. and to be fair, after the way Egwene, Elayne, and Nynaeve treated him after he charged into the stone (For all intents and purposes alone) to pull them out (in book 3), can you blaim him for being hesitant to do anything?

    he assaulted an entire FORTRESS to save them, and they pretty much shat all over him.
    I think it was just in Mat's nature to avoid responsibility at all costs, lol. I mean, look at the Last Battle - he actually contemplates leaving several times during it. He's just a rogue at heart.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •