Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    The Enhancement Shaman DPS priority in 5.2

    So i'm looking at the buff to Elemental Blast, and I was just wondering what you guys thought of the enhancement priority if you run with this?

    I personally think that the enhancement priority is just right at the moment playstyle wise, but having one more spell could potentially ruin that, as enhancement already has quite a few abilites on a relatively short cooldown, procs to watch, debuffs to watch on the target, etc.

    Would you still be content with the spec if you were using elemental blast? While the enhancement priority is not too hard by any stretch of the imagination, I think that the number of abilites we're using in our standard priority is getting kind of retarded. Should Blizzard streamline the priority a bit? (Not dumb down!) I wouldn't mind seeing that in the future, as long as they don't go to the extent that they did with Demonology, and the basic playstyle is still in place.

    Anyway, sorry for the rant. I'd just like to hear all of your opinions. Maybe I'm just bad at Enhance :P
    Hatred the Fearless.

  2. #2
    I personally HATED EB as enhancement.. fooled around with it, for a heroic or two when i dinged 90, at the start of mop.. It made an already clunky priority, even worse. It's not hard, it just feels.. "wrong".
    Life is a lie with an "f" in it, but death is definite.

  3. #3
    Yeah. Personally, EB would have to be significantly higher DPS for me to even consider a swap. If I wanted to hard cast spells I'd re-roll Elemental.

  4. #4
    If anything changes I think it would mean Elemental Mastery/Primal Elementalist will be the new best spec for enhancement since both of those got nice buffs. That wouldn't change enhance's current priority at all other than not hardcasting lightning bolt as often.

    I agree that throwing in one more spell into the priority causes some strange outcomes, particularly when the spell added is far and away the most important thing in the priority given how significant the buff is. It would basically mean that whenever it is off cd you need to use it no matter how many stacks of maelstrom you have. I think because of that the 1/4 chance to get a huge agility buff really isn't worth it, I would rather know I will be getting a haste buff and macro it to my engi glove so I get the agi to go with it.

  5. #5
    Herald of the Titans Irisel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Swimming in a fish bowl
    Posts
    2,648
    Quote Originally Posted by nazrakin View Post
    Yeah. Personally, EB would have to be significantly higher DPS for me to even consider a swap. If I wanted to hard cast spells I'd re-roll Elemental.
    I'm not even Enh and I know it works off of Maelstrom Weapons. You wouldn't have to hard cast.

    Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Irisel View Post
    I'm not even Enh and I know it works off of Maelstrom Weapons. You wouldn't have to hard cast.
    except when you can't count on 5 MSW stacks every 12 seconds....

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Irisel View Post
    I'm not even Enh and I know it works off of Maelstrom Weapons. You wouldn't have to hard cast.
    Of course I know that. However, an EB build pretty much requires keeping it on CD -- regardless of MW stacks. If it was a simple matter of replacing LB with EB, it wouldn't be a big deal.

  8. #8
    If you choose to take Elemental Blast, it will be the highest priority, irrelevant of how many Maelstrom Weapon stacks. To be honest, the Enhancement priority is simple, and adding Elemental Blast to it, isn't going to make it a clunky / difficult spec to play, it's essentially a 'hit the button when it lights up' class. With all this being said, I doubt Elemental Blast will be the talent to go for, the synergy between the buffed EM / PE will probably be our go to combination of talents, with EotE / UF being second.

    Elemental Blast really isn't that good, we have a 25% chance to proc Agility, once every 12 seconds. Depending on RNG, you might only get one or two Agility procs in a fight, whereas taking EM / PE and running haste will offer high burst and consistent / reliable damage.
    Armoryالسلام عليكمAvast

  9. #9
    I think the main concern with EB would be either the cd or the duration of the buff. Its too long to just replace LB but too short for 5xmael.wepn. Blasting with one LB between each and thus you spend some time hard casting it. As melee, you lose white swings and potential mael.wepn procs on each cast.
    With the buff duration being too short, you really dont get much out of it. During those 8seconds, you might get 2 shocks and one LB out for mastery buff, if you use UE for buffing the initial damage of EB. I might even say that the crit buff seems more appealing than the mastery proc.
    I think the haste might be the second best out of the 4 possible ones to get the next LB out faster and maybe get the 5x maels for next Blast.
    I wonder, would it be useful for specing AS/EB and going crit/haste build..

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by zandervont View Post
    I wonder, would it be useful for specing AS/EB and going crit/haste build..
    This is the theorycrafting I've been wondering about^^. With the static haste and some extra haste as 2nd secondary and crits 2x dmg, high flurry uptime. Interested in this viability for 5.2. But that's just me wanting to be different and think outside the box... so I'm always guarded to not be an idiot :P

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Drebbin View Post
    That wouldn't change enhance's current priority at all other than not hardcasting lightning bolt as often.
    This is not true at all. It would make EB top priority, hard casting it even. It would lower UE behind LL+5SF due to not having Unleashed Fury. You are right about not hard casting LB's, thankfully.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by HavocsCall View Post
    This is not true at all. It would make EB top priority, hard casting it even. It would lower UE behind LL+5SF due to not having Unleashed Fury. You are right about not hard casting LB's, thankfully.
    I was talking about EM/PE being the new best spec in 5.2 and how that wouldn't change the priority much... look at the sentence before the one you quoted. UE would go behind a couple of things though so you are right about that.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Drebbin View Post
    I was talking about EM/PE being the new best spec in 5.2 and how that wouldn't change the priority much... look at the sentence before the one you quoted. UE would go behind a couple of things though so you are right about that.
    Yep, my mistake. Seeing the word "elemental" in so many of our spells makes me see the wrong spell in my head.

  14. #14
    High Overlord TecPontificates's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Drebbin View Post
    If anything changes I think it would mean Elemental Mastery/Primal Elementalist will be the new best spec for enhancement since both of those got nice buffs. That wouldn't change enhance's current priority at all other than not hardcasting lightning bolt as often.
    If you take Unleashed Fury then Unleash Elements is your #1 priority; anything else, and Unleash Elements goes back to where it was during 4.3 (just before shocks). You'd need to put EM as #1 priority and you'd have to hard cast LBs at 3 or maybe even 2 stacks while EM was up.

    5.2 is definitely going to change our playstyle unless Unleashed Fury somehow still manages to stay on top. The changes to the 90 talents are undoubtedly a result of every Enhance taking UF. The devs are trying to make the other talents equally appealing so it's an option, but as always, one choice will end up coming out on top. It's a Sisyphean task, but they keep trying.

  15. #15
    I am Murloc! Raiju's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,886
    Unleash elements at top priority was just as much of a priority change, and thanks to pushing lightning bolts up further just as much a mobility killer. I personally really enjoyed elemental blast, since it makes me feel like I have a strong spell outside of ascendance stormblast. I switched to unleashed fury for more dps after a few weeks as personal testing showed it an unignorable amount, but if I were to play again I'd love to finally be able to use elemental blast without chopping off a few K.

    If elemental blast was at least closer to unleashed fury I would take it, even if it wasn't top. The awkward thing was gaining 5k+ dps thanks to UF and thinking "not even a choice"

  16. #16
    EB won't be part of our rotation. It's still too weak and too clunky gameplay for enhancer + the buff won't be enough to offset the big gap.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 07:25 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Irisel View Post
    I'm not even Enh and I know it works off of Maelstrom Weapons. You wouldn't have to hard cast.
    That'S the clunky part of gameplay:

    it takes your MSw stacks, but here#s what usally happens:

    EB cast ( 0 stacks MSW)
    SS
    LL
    (auto attacks)

    After 5-9 seconds you have 4 or 5 stacks of MSW so you have to use it on LB.

    And 2-4 seconds later, EB is ready. OF course you now to hardcast it since there are only 1 or two stacks left. OF course with some luck, you are able to make a difference.

    Making MSVx5 reset the cd could work. That way it would be LB replacer. But with its fixed 12 sec cd, it horribyl fits enhancer gameplay, forcing you to hardcast it very often.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 07:27 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Defines View Post
    If you choose to take Elemental Blast, it will be the highest priority, irrelevant of how many Maelstrom Weapon stacks. To be honest, the Enhancement priority is simple, and adding Elemental Blast to it, isn't going to make it a clunky / difficult spec to play, it's essentially a 'hit the button when it lights up' class. With all this being said, I doubt Elemental Blast will be the talent to go for, the synergy between the buffed EM / PE will probably be our go to combination of talents, with EotE / UF being second.

    Elemental Blast really isn't that good, we have a 25% chance to proc Agility, once every 12 seconds. Depending on RNG, you might only get one or two Agility procs in a fight, whereas taking EM / PE and running haste will offer high burst and consistent / reliable damage.
    I find that hardcasting gameplay clunky. As you said, it's not difficult, it just sucks having to hardcast so often.
    Last edited by Klatar; 2012-12-27 at 06:25 PM.

  17. #17
    Hardcasting as a melee dps is not a very good playstyle in my opinion, I'm personally hoping that PE comes out on top. Enhancement flows so well (except for the MW 3 hardcast... Get on that blizzard!) , and I think another spell would kill that.
    Last edited by HatredAU; 2012-12-27 at 07:53 PM.
    Hatred the Fearless.

  18. #18
    High Overlord Skillpadde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by nazrakin View Post
    Yeah. Personally, EB would have to be significantly higher DPS for me to even consider a swap. If I wanted to hard cast spells I'd re-roll Elemental.
    But for maximum enhancement DPS you need to hardcast anyway...

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillpadde View Post
    But for maximum enhancement DPS you need to hardcast anyway...
    But a lot less than with EB. EB means hardcasting a lot more, hardcasting EB is gettng your highest priority while for other speccs, hardcasting is something you only do while nothing else is to be done.

    And you still hardcast LB. So it's LB harcasting + EB hardcasting.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltage View Post
    Hardcasting as a melee dps is not a very good playstyle in my opinion, I'm personally hoping that PE comes out on top. Enhancement flows so well (except for the MW 3 hardcast... Get on that blizzard!) , and I think another spell would kill that.
    How is there even a problem with MSW 3 LB hardcast? Without any raid buffs (spell haste), and even with the worst amount of haste possible, it's still in the space of a global. It's still the exact same thing as hitting a Lava Lash or Stormstrike, and waiting for your next global to be available. It's not like your sitting there for over a second waiting for a spell to cast.
    Armoryالسلام عليكمAvast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •