Page 33 of 111 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eats Compost View Post
    If sex is not an explicit or implicit term or condition of employment, then the offer would not constitute unwelcome sexual conduct. And...
    ... if "unwelcome sexual conduct", as defined previously, has not occurred, then quid pro quo harassment has not occurred either.
    There's no "as defined previously". The guidelines are actually describing three separate forms of sexual harassment. But, but fine, I can see why you can get confused by the language used, especially when you start chopping it up into small pieces. Now refer to 29 C.F.R. § 1604.11 Sexual harassment.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    That's doubtful, unless the local laws there are quite bizarre. Evicting a tenant isn't a particularly quick process, and it's not hard to find other housing arrangements.
    I am assuming she lives here in Canada since she was accepted to McGill University, which is in Montreal, then yes it takes a few good months to get someone evicted and you must have a good reason for it. In order to have someone leave because of other reasons you have to give them something like 6 months notice, at least that's how it works in Ontario. Also what he is doing is completely illegal and would take a simple phone call from her to the police. She can also contact the landlord/tenant act and likely have him charged through them. She could also likely sue him for this, since it is sexual harassment, giving her and her brother money for all the trouble.

Also to add to where you mentioned housing arrangements, the YMCA and other such places will put people up in a hotel for a month and help them find a place. Y housing will also move someone in her situation to the front of the line for open, low income apartments, giving her a place to live within a few weeks for no more than a couple hundred a month.

Again this is all assuming that shes Canadian since you mentioned a Canadian Uni.
    Last edited by Alcomo; 2012-12-27 at 02:59 PM.

And it is only reprehensible at first sight if you jump to conclusions about the nature of the situation.
    Or if you use common sense and assess it using the probable scenarios, instead of assuming the best possible one as you're doing.

See above.
    Doesn't remotely apply. Like I said, it's listing three separate cases.

Deleted
    My brother would never sink that low so I'm not even gonna do the "If my brother did that.."-thing, but if I was you, I'd kick his ass. Can't believe someone would do this kind of shit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaElement View Post
    Don't sit back and let this occur he is taking advantage of a girl who is very down on her luck . your brother could just help her out of the kindness of his heart or have her do work around the house that doesn't involve riding an evil beach ball. Im trying to remain as civil as possible in this response, but this is truly disgusting. If hes so desperate for female attention have him hit the strip club, those girls WANT to make money that way. Fight the good fight OP don't let bad shit happen in front of you
    Indeed, if he wants to lower her rent, have her do the cleaning around the house or vacuum or maybe even cook him some food or something. But sex? Come on...

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    There's no "as defined previously". The guidelines are actually describing three separate forms of sexual harassment. But, but fine, I can see why you can get confused by the language used. Now refer to 29 C.F.R. § 1604.11 Sexual harassment.
    "Such conduct" certainly refers to the previous definition, as the term "such conduct" can only possibly refer to a previous definition.

And three separate forms?

The EEOC's Guidelines define two types of sexual harassment: "quid pro quo" and "hostile environment."
    The part prior to that exists to define "unwelcome sexual conduct". That is made quite clear.
    Last edited by Eats Compost; 2012-12-27 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Or if you use common sense and assess it using the probable scenarios, instead of assuming the best possible one as you're doing.

Doesn't remotely apply. Like I said, it's listing three separate cases.
    It's fucking illegal to approach your tenant as a landlord and offer them a discount for sexual favors. If you're debating this, you've no knowledge of applicable law.

Deleted
    While this statement isn't strictly wrong, I'd note that this sort of behavior is probably less common now than it's been at any point in history.
    True. He still is a part of what's still wrong with society today then.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Fully agreed with this. Well said sir.

Going into threads like these I find that my vision of humanity falls more and more seeing how some characters do this and some even defend them for it. That's just sad. That meme with "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" kind of fits my view on this situation and many replies in the thread...
    You overestimate the motive of most of the posters in this thread. They're not arguing the morality of it, but rather the legality.

Quote Originally Posted by sulfuric View Post
    It's fucking illegal to approach your tenant as a landlord and offer them a discount for sexual favors. If you're debating this, you've no knowledge of applicable law.
    Then, I don't know, tell that to the people arguing it is legal? Like Eats Compost?

Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    You overestimate the motive of most of the posters in this thread. They're not arguing the morality of it, but rather the legality.
    The moral issue is quite clear, even if it's technically arguing. Anyone arguing the legality of the matter is so painfully obtuse that they shouldn't be entertained for a moment longer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Hmmmm....

Okay ill play devils advocate here.

She is a consenting adult, and his brother is a consenting adult. If she was that opposed to the agreement she could find another place to live or stay with other relatives.

If the situations were reversed would we be up in arms like we are here? If a woman was renting a room to a 18 year old man and reduced the rent 60% for sex once a week, many of us would probally be cheering him on, at least if the woman wasn't a complete slob.
    If the situation was the same, as in the 18 year old man would be reluctant and be angsty with the lady in the room, I'd say exactly the same thing.

And think a bit, she has a job and a salary from which she needs to take care of 2 people, herself and her brother. I doubt she's a CEO of a petrol company, so we can safely assume her salary is not amazing. We don't know the exact sum she needs to pay for rent, but 60% might make the difference between food today and no food today.

Quote Originally Posted by Zakvaile View Post
    I can't believe how many people are defending this guy, hypothetical troll situation or not. If this guy existed, he's a SCUMBAG. Anyone who defends him is a SCUMBAG. He's exploiting a down-on-her-luck woman for sex when she had to put her life on hold to raise her brother and work full time. There is nothing in this that is right. Nothing.

And for those using the 'well, she accepted, so it's her fault' argument...seriously? She's got an eleven year old brother to care for. 60% of her rent could mean the difference between getting him school supplies, or food, or whatever else. Also, the 'nowhere did it say she'd be thrown out' argument is bullshit. The same kind of guy who would exploit this kind of vulnerable situation is the kind of guy who would kick her out if he was spurned.

Frankly, it makes me sick that anyone would take his side.
    Oh for the love of God will you feminist-wanna be(s) stop with this bullshit? He took her under the roof with a -KID- and offered her a chance to reduce the payment. Sex, washing his ass, dancing as a clown while singing awimbawe, she is -ALLOWED- to refuse all of it.

She accepted willingly and you have -NO PROOF WHATSOEVER- that she did it out of fear. For all we know, his brother is a stud and she actually gets paid for something she enjoys.

If the situation was reversed we would be cheering for the guy. Hell, guy offered her a roof when no one did, and suddenly the only person that offered to give her shelter is a despicable idiot.

I would've kicked my brothers teeth in for doing something like this. Morals go over family members, for me atleast, I cant and wont protect someone/something I know is wrong and I would call the person out on it and sue his ass, unless he stopped when being called out on it, but maybe thats just me. Either way he is an asshole and hope he has troubles to sleep or that he gets into a economic difficulty and have to sell some ass himself.

dokilar, apartments and jobs dont grow on trees, doubt she would do it if she had other choices. Nobody wants to "live in the hood", not even those who live in a ghetto wants to live there, espacially not with an 11y old.

Doesnt this almost count as blackmailing which AFAIK is illegal aswell? (I live in Sweden so fuck do I know about the laws in differnet states)
    "Gimme some of that ass and I will reduce your rent so that you can keep on being a good sister and provide for your brother even though your mental health will take a turn, otherwise have fun being broke" is basicly what I get out from this. So ye maybe he isnt forcing her directly, but still sounds like she feel cornered and forced and dont have many other options.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    If a woman was renting a room to a 18 year old man and reduced the rent 60% for sex once a week, many of us would probally be cheering him on, at least if the woman wasn't a complete slob.
    Setting the rest aside, the OP made clear that the person in this situation is a complete slob.

And three separate forms?
    Yeah, two main types, and quid pro quo is further divided into two more types. Total three.

Such conduct" certainly refers to the previous definition, as the term "such conduct" can only possibly refer to a previous definition.
    No, it's a reference to "unwelcom sexual advances". As can be evidenced from below:

29 C.F.R. § 1604.11 Sexual harassment.
    (a) Harassment on the basis of sex is a violation of section 703 of title VII.1 Unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature constitute sexual harassment when (1) submission to such conduct is made either explicitly or implicitly a term or condition of an individual's employment, (2) submission to or rejection of such conduct by an individual is used as the basis for employment decisions affecting such individual, or (3) such conduct has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with an individual's work performance or creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive working environment.

Hell, it's even numbered for you.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-12-27 at 03:08 PM.

Setting the rest aside, the OP made clear that the person in this situation is a complete slob.
    Unless I'm mistaken, all the OP said was that they were obese.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    just going to play devils advocate here but from the way i read it shes doing this willingly right? as in she was capable of paying the rent before the 60% reduction? one could argue that its immoral of the guy but one could also argue that she brings it on herself if shes able to pay the full amount but chooses to sleep with the guy in order pay 60% less.
    Except for the fact that she HAD to stop school and work instead just to get by before he lowered the rent.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    He took her under the roof with a -KID-
    He rented a room out. Don't try to paint it into charity.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Oh for the love of God will you feminist-wanna be(s) stop with this bullshit? He took her under the roof with a -KID- and offered her a chance to reduce the payment. Sex, washing his ass, dancing as a clown while singing awimbawe, she is -ALLOWED- to refuse all of it.

She accepted willingly and you have -NO PROOF WHATSOEVER- that she did it out of fear. For all we know, his brother is a stud and she actually gets paid for something she enjoys.

If the situation was reversed we would be cheering for the guy. Hell, guy offered her a roof when no one did, and suddenly the only person that offered to give her shelter is a despicable idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omgodzilla View Post
    Having to sleep with my brother who isn't exactly an attractive guy (He's almost 300 pounds and hasn't had a girlfriend in his life)
    Yeah, he sounds like a real stud. She's lucky to have a morbidly obese, no lifer pay her for sex.

Holy fuck, every time I think people can't get any more loathsome, I'll read a post like what you've wrote.

---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 10:09 AM ----------

Unless I'm mistaken, all the OP said was that they were obese.
    He stated that the individual in question is 300 pounds and has never had a girlfriend. If that doesn't qualify as "complete slob", the term is essentially meaningless.