Page 1 of 2
LastLast

thoughts on iTunes 11

So most of us I'm sure know of and or have used iTunes. It updated to iTunes 11 a month or so ago. Like facebook, which occasionally changes its look and is met with a ton of hate till people get used to it. I decided to give the new iTunes a chance. It's been enough time now, I've used it enough. After much time and thought, I've come to the conclusion, iTunes 11 is absolutely atrocious. The layout is awful, the new interface is clunky and convoluted. There's now more clicking involved to do the simplest of things as before.

I still have yet to figure out how to sort/order my songs based on how many stars I've rated them etc. The entire thing is awful.

Anyone else have similar issues and despise the new look for the program? I honestly have no clue how the designers for the update thought what they were doing was good.

Deleted
    Never used itunes, go me

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    So most of us I'm sure know of and or have used iTunes. It updated to iTunes 11 a month or so ago. Like facebook, which occasionally changes its look and is met with a ton of hate till people get used to it. I decided to give the new iTunes a chance. It's been enough time now, I've used it enough. After much time and thought, I've come to the conclusion, iTunes 11 is absolutely atrocious. The layout is awful, the new interface is clunky and convoluted. There's now more clicking involved to do the simplest of things as before.

I still have yet to figure out how to sort/order my songs based on how many stars I've rated them etc. The entire thing is awful.

Anyone else have similar issues and despise the new look for the program? I honestly have no clue how the designers for the update thought what they were doing was good.
    The change of the UI was bold, but successful. This is just another case of 'haters gonna hate'.

The old iTunes UI was not at all what they wanted, and it badly needed an overhaul, which Apple has talked about for a while now.

If you really dislike it, I guess you will just have to be patient until you get used to it. Fact is, it is brilliant and gorgeous.

I use iTunes everyday and downloaded the new one today and noticed no difference in my music quality so what exactly do people hate on?
    Trying to play GW2 like you played WoW is like trying to play Chess using a Checkers strategy.
    -----
    Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the night, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I moved on from iTunes a couple years ago.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I stopped using iTunes in 2004 when it was officially classified as malware because it changed your file associations without consent and without any easy way to undo this.

This wasn't the only factor, of course - the fact it is so bloated as to consume dozens-hundreds of MB of ram (an absurd amount for a music player), as well as instigate 3-4 running processes instead of the single one it should command since it's simply a music player, had an effect as well.

Apple is, simply put, a shit company. It sells an inferior product for more money than its competitors due to its cult-like status and chic image, both of which are paid for by advertising which has no effect on the quality or value of the product. As an IT professional I would urge anyone thinking of using / buying any Apple product to do a lot of research. You will likely find that your adoration of Apple was without foundation, and falls apart when you apply critical thought. In essence, Apple is Justin Bieber - incomprehensibly wonderful when you're an idiotic 12 year old, but hilariously shitty and overhyped when you've become an intelligent adult.
    Last edited by Trotheus; 2012-12-27 at 11:36 AM.
    What the world needs is Lesshammad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trotheus View Post
    Apple is, simply put, a shit company. It sells an inferior product for more money than its competitors due to its cult-like status and chic image, both of which are paid for by advertising which has no effect on the quality or value of the product. As an IT professional I would urge anyone thinking of using / buying any Apple product to do a lot of research. You will likely find that your adoration of Apple was without foundation, and falls apart when you apply critical thought. In essence, Apple is Justin Bieber - incomprehensibly wonderful when you're an idiotic 12 year old, but hilariously shitty and overhyped when you've become an intelligent adult.
    iTunes is free. Anything else taken into consideration in this thread is useless.

Not used iTunes on Windows ever, so I have no idea how it performs. On a Mac, the latest version uses a very low amount of CPU and memory.

As an IT professional I would urge anyone thinking of using / buying any Apple product to do a lot of research.
    Done, now what?

I hate the new itunes, they turned the search bar into a clumsy shadow of what it used to be. I don't want to scroll through hundreds of artists and songs, I want the search bar to only show songs that match what I've typed in again.

I agree with the OP I've used it for roughly the same amount of time and I am not impressed.

The old style was much more user friendly, easier to navigate and get shit done, In fact I might be uninstalling it and reinstalling an older version here shortly.

Deleted
    Does this new version play FLAC files?

If it does, I might give it a try.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernardblack View Post
    Does this new version play FLAC files?

If it does, I might give it a try.
    Doubt Apple will ever play FLAC. ALAC is just as good though

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never had a problem with new layouts, I'm somone who loves change and reading one of your problems I think I might see why we differ on this. Sorting by rating is something I've never done before, I have never even rated my song but when I read your problem I decided to see if I could do it. Took me 5 seconds.

Right click the top top bar that shows the different column titles (name, artist, time, album etc whatever you have) tick rating. Click the bar that says rating. Done.
    Exact same way as before, except maybe rating automatically showed up before (unsure, if it did then I turned it off anyway)

I love the new itunes layout though, only complaint is that I can't get it to centre properly. when enlarged it goes passed the edges of my screen for some reason. But the new itunes has all the options the previous one had, and they're all just as easy to do it might just take a little bit to get used to it. Just start right clicking various parts and looking at the options, select the menus etc. I find a lot of things easier to do than before, and I've found a fair few options I wished the other itunes did that this one does.

EDIT: I should mention to do the above in the 'songs' tab to sort by rating. Unsure what other tabs it would work in, definitely your playlists but don't know about the others.
    Last edited by Anakso; 2012-12-27 at 05:17 PM.

Terribad. Final nail in iTunes coffin for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    in Limbo... damn the Wi-fi is expensive here...
    I kinda like the new layout... but something about it does bug me... just can't put my finger on it though.

i dont mind itunes as much as the new app store on ios

Deleted
    Give me iTunes DJ with iTunes 11 UI and i'll be happy.

No iTunes DJ is a let down... I used to listen to music nearly as much time as i was on the computer with that function, now with no iTunes DJ i barely use it

**EDIT**

Disregard the above, i found the "iTunes DJ"... The shuffle function does the same :P (DERP) Although it doesn't play our highest rated songs, it's decent...

Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    I love the new itunes layout though, only complaint is that I can't get it to centre properly. when enlarged it goes passed the edges of my screen for some reason. But the new itunes has all the options the previous one had, and they're all just as easy to do it might just take a little bit to get used to it. Just start right clicking various parts and looking at the options, select the menus etc. I find a lot of things easier to do than before, and I've found a fair few options I wished the other itunes did that this one does.
    Also, this issue is bugging me so bad >_>
    Last edited by mmoc707bc56263; 2012-12-27 at 06:09 PM.

Deleted
    I don't really think of it as an improvement personally but I don't think it's worse either, it seems to do exactly the same for me as it did before but looks slightly different - I have no problem navigating or finding my music and obviously it all plays the same so it doesn't really bother me that it changed.

Deleted
    Only use it for my iphone :P yes i got an iphone , easy phone no hassel with stuff i do not care about

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Algot View Post
    The change of the UI was bold, but successful. This is just another case of 'haters gonna hate'.

The old iTunes UI was not at all what they wanted, and it badly needed an overhaul, which Apple has talked about for a while now.

If you really dislike it, I guess you will just have to be patient until you get used to it. Fact is, it is brilliant and gorgeous.
    Opinions are fact now?

On topic. I really disliked it at first. However with some tweaks it looks almost the same as before for me. I do not like how I have to click songs in my music tab to see the music the same way as before, but that is a minor annoyance. I really do not like how it looks by default. To me it is tacky, overly complicated for the sake of complication and gaudy. Not sleek and simple the way it was before. But like I said it got it to look almost the same so I'm ok with it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do people use iTunes?