10+ Year Old Account

Computer too noisy when playing WoW

Hello,

I have that problem that when I start playing wow, my computer (XPS 17 from Dell) gets extremely noisy and sounds like a vacuum cleaner. I played once for over 3 hours and the left side, which contains the PC cooling, got very hot. I couldn't even touch it for a long time...

My WoW is fully downloaded so I guess the streaming isn't the big problem. Can I change something to not roast my computer one day? Lower graphics didn't help. My screen resolution is 1600*900 I think.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    If your laptop has the fan outlets on the bottom side use something to raise the laptop at the back (i use a 1.5" book myself) so hot air can "escape" easier and the fans can operate on a lower rpm value. If your laptop is of age your air outlets and fans may be full of dust. Check your service manual on how to open the chassis and check for dust.

10+ Year Old Account
    That should be mine, I am not that much into computers^^

CPU Core i7-2670QM
    Graphics chipset GT 555M
    RAM 4 GB
    Screen 17.3 inches
    1920 x 1080 pixels
    Hard drive 500 GB

---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 09:47 AM ----------

Thank you for your tip regarding the air

Best thing you could probably do is just put your laptop on something so the air can get out, buy one of those laptop stands or just make your own.
    Last edited by IRunSoFarAway; 2012-12-27 at 09:00 AM.

If your laptop sucks in air from underneath.. Cut a hole in the table.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivena View Post
    Hello,

I have that problem that when I start playing wow, my computer (XPS 17 from Dell) gets extremely noisy and sounds like a vacuum cleaner. I played once for over 3 hours and the left side, which contains the PC cooling, got very hot. I couldn't even touch it for a long time...

My WoW is fully downloaded so I guess the streaming isn't the big problem. Can I change something to not roast my computer one day? Lower graphics didn't help. My screen resolution is 1600*900 I think.

Most laptop get inherently hot under a big load. I mean theres a LOT of heat being generated in a small space. I have a pretty good Laptop system myself but even after an hour it's pretty warm. I generally don't play wow on it longer than an hour at a time. Reduce screen size, turn down graphic settings to help reduce the load. But if you're gonna go on a 3-4 straight stint, you'd be better off on a desktop....if thats not feasible then by all means play for an hour then log for about 10 minutes to let it cool down. Also remember that heat is an enemy and the longer you play at high temps the shorter the lifespan of electronic pieces.

But if it THAT hot where you cant touch it, pretty sure you've got a clog somewhere AND if it's making a lot of noise, it's possible the bearings failing on the fan

10+ Year Old Account
    If it is indeed a laptop it could be you need to clean out your heatsink. It can be quite easy to do, depending on the model, and you will notice instant results. All you need is Google and a screwdriver.
    "Brevity is...wit"

10+ Year Old Account
    You can also invest on a laptop cooler. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Ultra-Q.../dp/B000JSFT0Y

I noticed it made a big difference in keeping it relatively cool and been gaming on one of my laptops for 4 years without any problems.

Deleted
    I've moved this over to the computer forum.

Deleted
    Prop it up with 2 dvd case at back to get airflow under it, also tilts the keyboard a bit which is always handy.

Also turn on vsync.