Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

LFR idea: loot based on performance

In normal raids random loot is fine. As a group you always will get a few useful items and loot isn't the main reason you raid.

But in LFR random loot really kills the fun for me personally. Because let's face it, you do LFR for items. Hitting those loot pinatas isn't exactly thrilling.

My solution: make loot in LFR performance based. The chance you get an item on a boss increases if you perform well. For example: you are a dps and you do 80% of the dps possible with your gear (based on itemlevel) your chance to get an item is 80%

Pros:
    - people will actually try during LFR raids to increase their chance to get loot
    - LFR becomes more fun, since you want to maximize your dps, healing or tanking to get loot

Deleted
    Really don't think it would work and I'm just gonna wait for the rest of posters to show the cons.

10+ Year Old Account
    So content which is aimed towards casual players will reward people for playing
    as optimized as they can?

Sorry, but not going to happen.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really like the idea and I honestly don't understand why Blizzard hasn't implemented it yet.
    It's not like they don't have the tech to monitor each player's performance.
    Naaren, Savior of Azeroth

when I was a little kid, my mother told me not to stare unto the Sun...
    ...so once when I was six, I did.

Quote Originally Posted by juzalol View Post
    So content which is aimed towards casual players will reward people for playing
    as optimized as they can?

Sorry, but not going to happen.
    I am a casual actually. And it's not like performing worse will make your chances of loot 0%.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought LFR loot was already based on performance: The harder you AFK the higher your chance for loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Doesn't matter., You will encourage nothing but elitism, complaints, and longer queue times in LFR after just a few weeks. It's a bad, bad idea.
    Oh? How so? Elitism how? Trying your best to get rewards? Longer queue times why? I personally stopped doing LFR because I can't stand afking for an hour only to get 0 rewards. For this I would queue.

And it's not like you will only get rewarded if you are a raiding god. You just get better/more rewards the better you do. You know like in all games, even casual iOS games.

10+ Year Old Account
    How would you encourage tanks and healers?

Overhealing for better gear?

Quote Originally Posted by Naaren View Post
    I really like the idea and I honestly don't understand why Blizzard hasn't implemented it yet.
    It's not like they don't have the tech to monitor each player's performance.
    I see what you did there :P

There would be no way to measure if the player is doing good or bad, especially on gimmick mechanic bosses etc. Not gonna happen.

that's an unusuall idea, and i kinda like it...

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Well done. With your idea, you have no completely made pointless the whole reason LFR was introduced in the first place.

It's not very well thought out tbh. The point of LFR is for people to experience the content, take part in a raid environment as and when they want to, and have the "opportunity" to get gear they otherwise cannot get. It's not for gearing up toons.
    Actually, if u think about it, the LFR drop chance is so low imo, that this system would make people want to try harder, and if they dont it will remain the same.
    if u do a LFR, and u pull 60k dps while u see some1 else pulling 25k (i've seen it, too much), u should be rewarded, we're not saying "give another free epic", just saying bring up the loot chance by like 10% or something...

Should this always be the formula to everything??? more work = more gain, its simple.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Haha another butthurt noob that is mad he doesn't get gear. Why should I have to try to get gear when I get it as it is? I go in in PVP gear when I'm bored and want some sha crystals and bam, I get maybe 10 for doing all the LFRs and that's half my VP cap in a couple of hours. Nice few k gold too from DEing the stuff. Why should I have to try to get it? If I wanted to do anything I'd be in a real raid. I don't. I want free stuff so I do LFR and let silly noobs like OP do the work for me.

Maybe you don't like to hear that. Thing is it's what 20+ people in every LFR are doing. Why should the desires of 5 people dictate what happens to the 20 who hate it? If you don't like it don't do it. Gear's random. It's great that way. Before I had to need on everything to get stuff to DE, now it just comes to me automatically and nobody can steal my shards just coz they're noobs that need the gear.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-12-27 at 06:19 PM.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

LFR is not aimed at people who play well. It's aimed at casual players, to let them see the content and give them an illusion of raiding. If you perform well, you should run normal and heroic raids, making LFR obsolete, after a few weeks, except to cap valor. I don't see why a skilled player would ever whine about LFR loot.

That aside, I am sure you would rethink your loot system when a crap healer lets you die, and you perform 5% on every fight, staring at the greyed out Release button. Or when a badly geared tank generates so little aggro that you have to "perform" at 40% of your capability only to avoid getting stomped by the boss. Seriously, why don't people think for a while before they post such dumb ideas?

15+ Year Old Account
    No, no and no. For one simple reason - you can't measure performance because being first on any kind of meter isn't a proof of skill or dedication.

Shit idea. Contradictory to the whole concept of having LFR. Also not realizable. Performance by what or who's standards? Also impossible to balance. Play the right class/specc to earn gear. Miss out if your specc is crappy atm. or just doesn't perform well in a particular encounter.

Also punishes people with sub-par internet connections and anyone who happens to have a disconnect, crash, freezes, low framerate or whatever.

Also questionable, pseudo-elitist and nonsensical motive. LFR is there for spontaneous, fast action and having a shot at getting okayish sub-par gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    I thought LFR loot was already based on performance: The harder you AFK the higher your chance for loot.
    this. also, when i still needed the gear, i did around 4-5 complete LFR clears of all raids and got ZERO gear from it. no joke, not a single item. in my main raid i get an item nearly every week. somewhere i read that blizzard wrote loot is equally common in LFR like in real raids. i think this is a lie or the system is just shit.

i'm glad i don't have to do LFR anymore, it's really not fun. too easy, many afk or unwilling players and 28g 50s lootpacks.

Deleted
    Awful idea that has been suggested many times before. If you can come up with a metric to judge all classes and roles fairly then great. Except you can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Farora View Post
    In normal raids random loot is fine. As a group you always will get a few useful items and loot isn't the main reason you raid.

But in LFR random loot really kills the fun for me personally. Because let's face it, you do LFR for items. Hitting those loot pinatas isn't exactly thrilling.

My solution: make loot in LFR performance based. The chance you get an item on a boss increases if you perform well. For example: you are a dps and you do 80% of the dps possible with your gear (based on itemlevel) your chance to get an item is 80%

Pros:
    - people will actually try during LFR raids to increase their chance to get loot
    - LFR becomes more fun, since you want to maximize your dps, healing or tanking to get loot
    Show up in Heroic gear and someone that need upgrade wont get it.

Pro.

PS: Mechanics > DPS|HPS|TPS. Nothing to do about your epeen.

And how do you measure performance for tanks and healers, as stated previously? Amount of healing done? You could be an excellent healer, but if you're always 0.1 seconds too slow and always beaten to the heal by someone else then your numbers will suffer. There's only so much healing that needs to be done.

As for tanks... Amount of damage taken? That can vary greatly depending on role and the other tank. On Feng, you could quite easily get the other tank 'forgetting' to taunt, to minimise his damage taken. Number of times died? That could be healer error, not the tank's.

Oh, let's keep it to DPS, that's easy: just measure damage done, right? Wrong: Protectors of the Endless, where you can cleave/multidot to win but that cleaving/multidotting is pointless. Makes you look good on the damage meter though!

On that note, even on a fight like Stone Guard where cleaving is a great thing... Some classes are better at it than others, so are you going to give them more loot just because they picked a better cleaving class?

No, no, no. Terrible idea. Simply wouldn't work in practice for the reasons stated above plus many more, such as the simple fact that it goes against the entire point of LFR. No, not 'afking to epix': it's a place for more casual/less skilled players to see the content, get some loot, and have fun. Normal and heroic raids are where you should be pushing your character to the limits, NOT LFR.

Quote Originally Posted by Farora View Post

Pros:
    GL to get anyone to handle the pheromone debuff on Garalon. Make the fight easier for the rest, get less loot.

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash View Post
    Haha another butthurt noob that is mad he doesn't get gear. Why should I have to try to get gear when I get it as it is? I go in in PVP gear when I'm bored and want some sha crystals and bam, I get maybe 10 for doing all the LFRs and that's half my VP cap in a couple of hours. Nice few k gold too from DEing the stuff. Why should I have to try to get it? If I wanted to do anything I'd be in a real raid. I don't. I want free stuff so I do LFR and let silly noobs like OP do the work for me.

Maybe you don't like to hear that. Thing is it's what 20+ people in every LFR are doing. Why should the desires of 5 people dictate what happens to the 20 who hate it? If you don't like it don't do it. Gear's random. It's great that way. Before I had to need on everything to get stuff to DE, now it just comes to me automatically and nobody can steal my shards just coz they're noobs that need the gear.
    Personally I find the most geared people do the least amount of dps/healing. The players that have most of their LFR items don't use enchants or gems and are generally terrible.

You've proven the logic that people who don't really "bring anything" to the LFR group get the most loot. You get ~10 items per set of LFR's (supposedly) while playing in your PvP gear, probably noobing it up..? With this mindset and based on many accounts of running into people like this I'd say just not try to get gear. Maybe if nobody tries (all attempting to get gear) the LFR's will failboat all day and nobody will get gear. Unfortunately I can't bring myself to be terrible for a chance at loot.

PS. I have a friend similar to you that afk's all the time for cigarette breaks. It's kind of sad without people like myself he'd be way worse off. I wonder if he knows I play with him mainly because I pity him?

* Wasn't trying to flame anybody or look like a jerk, but really... I see many instances of this in-game and it's absolutely discouraging.

Edit: I don't really support the OP's idea but I do think changes to how LFR loot is handled would be nice.
    Last edited by Hagendaz; 2012-12-27 at 12:43 PM.