Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I'm Indian and I cringe every time one of us speaks English on TV.
    Ashr

Deleted
    I have a moderately upper class London accent but I live in a place where everybody speaks with a different one, I quite like it when I hear it on TV personally as I prefer it to the one I'm surrounded with on a daily basis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrr View Post
    I'm Indian and I cringe every time one of us speaks English on TV.
    Aww, I like Indian accents. The Life of Pi was awesome.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Hearing Saxon on TV is not that bad and not that uncommon. But knowing that it's nearly only used to make fun of the dialect is a whole other story. ^^

Deleted
    Ah divvent like hearin a geordie accent on the tele, ah think it soonds proppa stupid me like. Y'na wot ah meen? Well aye!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I pretty much don't notice when people have the "generic American" accent on TV.
    I notice right away. American english sounds barbaric compared to UK english.

But the only regional dialect I know is the southern (maybe Texas specific?) American english. It's even worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    I notice right away. American english sounds barbaric compared to UK english.

But the only regional dialect I know is the southern (maybe Texas specific?) American english. It's even worse.
    Barbaric, eh? I'll barb your aric! Seriously though, most people I meet who aren't native English speakers seem to prefer American English. It's apparently easier to understand. Besides, it's closer to Ye Olde English than the current English accents are.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Barbaric, eh? I'll barb your aric! Seriously though, most people I meet who aren't native English speakers seem to prefer American English. It's apparently easier to understand. Besides, it's closer to Ye Olde English than the current English accents are.
    Probably because they talk so loudly

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Probably because they talk so loudly

Well that's true enough. I hate it when people speak quietly. Speak up, son, I can't hear you!

Hearing an ordinary Boston accent doesn't stand out to me much but when someone starts overdoing it, it drives me nuts. People love picking on Boston accents almost as much as they love overdone Australian ones, but the lengths they go to in an attempt to get it right are ridiculous. Take any movie with Ben Affleck and Matt Damon in it - most of the movie will sound fine to me, but there will always be one or two guys who just can't do it right, or a couple lines that even the native Boston guys push a little too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Liagala View Post
    Hearing an ordinary Boston accent doesn't stand out to me much but when someone starts overdoing it, it drives me nuts. People love picking on Boston accents almost as much as they love overdone Australian ones, but the lengths they go to in an attempt to get it right are ridiculous. Take any movie with Ben Affleck and Matt Damon in it - most of the movie will sound fine to me, but there will always be one or two guys who just can't do it right, or a couple lines that even the native Boston guys push a little too much.
    Pahk the cah in the cahport!

Pahk the cah in the cahport!
    LOL I went to visit some friends in San Francisco a few years ago... I swear I should have started charging them for every time they asked me to say, "Park the car in Harvard Yard." I would have gone home rich!

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL I went to visit some friends in San Francisco a few years ago... I swear I should have started charging them for every time they asked me to say, "Park the car in Harvard Yard." I would have gone home rich!
    My friend from New Hampshire used to tell me there were 2 major Boston accents: Basten and Bwahsten

Most Scottish and American accents sound normal to me (a Glaswegian), but there are a few Welsh and English accents I don't actively notice because I'm used to them. Probably because I spent so much of my childhood watching TV. :P

Deleted
    My accent is somewhat russian. So I wouldn't be surprised in hearing it on tv as I'm a russian commrade in reality. Nah, I'm not, but I like it.

I sort of sound like the guy singing this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyiEaSzpdMk
    in accent, my voice has a different pitch though.

Bwahsten
    Those are the people who overdo it and end up sounding like a cheap New York City hooker.

My personal favorite out of the ever-present Boston jokes: Go ahead. Pronounce "Worcester" properly.

Deleted
    Also Scottish - I've got, by anyone's standards, a fairly 'posh' Scottish accent, and the majority of those represented on TV tend to be quite low rent and Glasweigan. I cringe when I hear how thick my fellow countrymen sound...

10+ Year Old Account
    Those are the people who overdo it and end up sounding like a cheap New York City hooker.

My personal favorite out of the ever-present Boston jokes: Go ahead. Pronounce "Worcester" properly.
    I was really weirded out when I found out that was pronounced "Wooster" and Worcestershire was pronounced "Woostershire."

10+ Year Old Account
    I live in Essex in the UK, and everyone from the Uk knows how Essex people sound but I don't actually have that accent I been told by mnay that I sound very posh so go figure... My sister on the other hand is a very Essex girl :P

10+ Year Old Account
    When I watch TV with Aussies speaking I don't really notice it because it's just normal to me.