Poll: Was it wrong to request a refund?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Was it wrong to request a refund?

I recently purchased a book for my Kindle and I must say, I really like it so far. It's a book that is being sold in various parts (only 2 parts have been released so far). I bought both parts, which were relatively short, and I finished reading them in less than a day. However, I have suddenly found myself in an unfortunate monetary predicament, seeing as how my car is having problems and will likely cost several hundred dollars to repair. I need as much money as possible in order to scrape by.

Amazon has a policy where you can immediately return Kindle books within 5 days of purchasing them and receive a full refund. I have thus decided to return the two books (or rather, parts of a book) for my money back, even though I already read them.

Normally I would have no qualms about doing this, had it been a famous and/or rich author. However, the book is by an independent author and this is her first book ever, so I am effectively taking money away from a "starving author," and one who I actually really like so far. I should also note that I have every intention of buying her book again when I have the money.

Do you guys think that what I did is understandable or was it fundamentally wrong? Would you guys have done the same thing in my situation?

Deleted
    The fact that this bothers you morally is an indication that you're not a total douchebag, so I'd let you off the hook. Blame Amazon for offering such a silly term, any book can be read with thought in 5 days so this term makes no sense.

I think it's wrong, but you have to do what you have to do.

And lol at your second poll option. I'm not gonna buy the book just so you can feel better. You might as well ask me to donate money to fixing your car. That's a really weird thing to put up.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you have a car that will require "several hundred dollars" of repairs, and your idea to pay for it is to return two kindle books?

Why don't you just ask us what you really want to ask us.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Is poll option number 2 a bad joke? Who in their right mind would do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

I'm sure she wouldn't mind

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Why so serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    So you have a car that will require "several hundred dollars" of repairs, and your idea to pay for it is to return two kindle books?

The car repairs I can handle, however, I'll have to take money away from my car insurance in order to pay for it. My car insurance is relatively cheap ($80 a month). As you can see, $8 (the price of the two books) makes a considerable difference.

Okay, so I'm not the only one who is confused about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Sheilor would.

Quote Originally Posted by Swazi Spring View Post
    The car repairs I can handle, however, I'll have to take money away from my car insurance in order to pay for it. My car insurance is relatively cheap ($80 a month). As you can see, $8 (the price of the two books) makes a considerable difference.
    Uh...this makes no sense whatsoever. It's still a sum of several hundred dollars no matter how you try to phrase it.

You do what you have to do to make ends meet, that is necessary. If you read the book and just returned it just for the sake of getting the money back and then proceed to do it over and over again, then ya that's pretty shitty.

So stealing is okay from the rich? Stealing is stealing, and that's exactly what you have done. Yes, its perfectly legal, but its quite immoral.

The way to "make ends meet" would be to not buy the books in the first place. Maybe even sell the Kindle.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

I picked choice 3, but was leaning towards 1...though I wasn't really sure what you were going for there and I would have rephrased it.

I would say:

"It is wrong, however, once you repurchased it after you get over this financial hurdle it would be excusable/forgivable."

If you want to support the author, I'd give a good review and buy them again later.

For the specific situation it's sort of an odd question. On the one hand, returning a book after you've read it is "bad", but with the Kindle you're not buying the book. You're buying a license to have access to the book. You did access the book, but their terms make it acceptable to refund when you no longer want access....

Dunno, so didn't vote. I only buy real books.

I say you just sell your kindle! You dont have time to be reading if you're in such financial turmoil you gotta nickel-and-dime books!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swazi Spring View Post
    Swazi you may be politically misguided, but you're not a dumb guy. Instead of trying to trap people, why don't you just ask us the real question.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Uh...this makes no sense whatsoever. It's still a sum of several hundred dollars no matter how you try to phrase it.
    The books alone aren't going to pay for my car repairs and/or insurance, however, they will contribute towards it.

Quote Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
    I say you just sell your kindle! You dont have time to be reading if you're in such financial turmoil you gotta nickel-and-dime books!
    Or at the least pawn the fucking thing for a bit. Oh wait, that's logical.

Swazi you may be politically misguided, but you're not a dumb guy. Instead of trying to trap people, why don't you just ask us the real question.
    Agreed. This thread makes no sense.

I wouldn't worry about it too much dude. If you really like the books that much you're probably going to buy them again anyway.