Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
  1. #41
    Scarab Lord GreatOak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Chicago, USA
    Posts
    4,925
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Is it common for people to call a jet fighter a helicopter or a crayon a pencil? No? Then your point is moot.

    You're basically trying to say a message is invalid because a specific word that is used in common vernacular to refer to something other than what it is was spoken. If it was being written into the law as clip rather than magazine or vice versa, then yes, you'd have a point, but for people who are simply talking about the subject and have developed a habit of referring to something as a clip rather than a magazine because it is so damned common to do so, not really.
    Ok, what about something more integral to the debate, like "Assault Weapon".
    "It woudl be funny as hell if the abodinal snoawman walk in the background" -Confucius

  2. #42
    Herald of the Titans RoKPaNda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,734
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Is it common for people to call a jet fighter a helicopter or a crayon a pencil? No? Then your point is moot.

    You're basically trying to say a message is invalid because a specific word that is used in common vernacular to refer to something other than what it is was spoken. If it was being written into the law as clip rather than magazine or vice versa, then yes, you'd have a point, but for people who are simply talking about the subject and have developed a habit of referring to something as a clip rather than a magazine because it is so damned common to do so, not really.
    While I'm not really a fan of pointing out small errors when people will CLEARLY understand (Like when you on the first page said "for all intensive purposes" instead of "for all intents AND purposes.") if we're going to discuss something that's being debated such as whether or not he broke any laws, and we're going to be skimming over said laws to see if he actually had broken any, it would probably be best to be using the proper terms to avoid confusion. So while I personally didn't know the difference before clicking on this thread I'm glad it was pointed out as now I'm more educated on the subject and can discuss it more intelligently in the future.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Is it common for people to call a jet fighter a helicopter or a crayon a pencil? No? Then your point is moot.

    You're basically trying to say a message is invalid because a specific word that is used in common vernacular to refer to something other than what it is was spoken. If it was being written into the law as clip rather than magazine or vice versa, then yes, you'd have a point, but for people who are simply talking about the subject and have developed a habit of referring to something as a clip rather than a magazine because it is so damned common to do so, not really.
    So your argument is, "People aren't ignorant about trivial things only super important things. We'll just ignore the fact that they are paid to be educated on those subjects."

    SEEMS GOOD.

  4. #44
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    22,905
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Is it common for people to call a jet fighter a helicopter or a crayon a pencil? No? Then your point is moot.

    You're basically trying to say a message is invalid because a specific word that is used in common vernacular to refer to something other than what it is was spoken. If it was being written into the law as clip rather than magazine or vice versa, then yes, you'd have a point, but for people who are simply talking about the subject and have developed a habit of referring to something as a clip rather than a magazine because it is so damned common to do so, not really.
    If somebody cannot correctly label the thing they are debating, then my point is not moot at all, Just because a mistake is common does not mean they are correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I do sympathize with these so called terrorist organisations. As far as I'm concerned, at least they are fighting for something they believe in, and for what they see to be the greater good. They're not fighting to line the pockets of statesmen, governors and oil barons. I wish we could the same about the people on this side of the planet.
    Hobbes talking about Al Qaeda and ISIS.

  5. #45
    Mechagnome Helryx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    557
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Why do gun fans constantly make this distinction as if anyone but them cares?
    I say we start calling both "Bullet containing devices"

  6. #46
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    22,905
    Quote Originally Posted by Helryx View Post
    I say we start calling both "Bullet containing devices"
    Call "one bullet containing device" and the other "bullet transfer device", I think both sides would agree to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I do sympathize with these so called terrorist organisations. As far as I'm concerned, at least they are fighting for something they believe in, and for what they see to be the greater good. They're not fighting to line the pockets of statesmen, governors and oil barons. I wish we could the same about the people on this side of the planet.
    Hobbes talking about Al Qaeda and ISIS.

  7. #47
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in WNY or Canada or Dead
    Posts
    1,305
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Respect for the families, let them put their children to rest then go on your political agenda.
    I just saying that the media * now i came to my senses * that they don't care about the victim or injured...............just the rating and please there master and that they have no soul and have blood on there hand !

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYIRISHGUY View Post
    I just saying that the media * no i came to sense * that they don't care about the victim or injured...............just the rating and please there master and that they have no soul and have blood on there hand !
    A lot of us feel that way on both sides of this issue. The problem is that News Media isn't News it's Media and Media is entertainment and entertainment is a business.

    Tragedy sells, but what sells more is controversy over tragedy. Nothing pulls attention like dead bodies no matter how sickening the concept is. If someone saves lives i'ts 10 minutes. If someone takes a life, it's 10 weeks.

  9. #49
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in WNY or Canada or Dead
    Posts
    1,305
    sandy hook shooting was the PERFECT STORE for the MEDIA why THE VICTIM because they were innocent but they will distorted into this blame blame blame games and that they will analyst and specialist pick for that media machine so they can promote that truth and put FEAR IN AMERICA

    and what about the victim the media will turn a blind eye and move on to the next BLOOD BATH !

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 10:53 PM ----------

    Mainstream Media Manipulation Tactics Analysis


    ---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 10:54 PM ----------

    How Media Spins a Story


    ---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 11:17 PM ----------

    More example of the twisted thought of the media !

    Adam Lanza Mass Murderer Media Manipulation


    Obama Fake Tears *So he can please the media*

  10. #50
    Scarab Lord GreatOak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Chicago, USA
    Posts
    4,925
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYIRISHGUY View Post
    sandy hook shooting was the PERFECT STORE for the MEDIA why THE VICTIM because they were innocent but they will distorted into this blame blame blame games and that they will analyst and specialist pick for that media machine so they can promote that truth and put FEAR IN AMERICA

    and what about the victim the media will turn a blind eye and move on to the next BLOOD BATH !

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 10:53 PM ----------

    Mainstream Media Manipulation Tactics Analysis
    [video=youtube;AKMuxADRKLo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKMuxADRKLo[video]

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 10:54 PM ----------

    How Media Spins a Story
    [video=youtube;9MCjVrDDzlo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MCjVrDDzlo[video]

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 11:17 PM ----------

    More example of the twisted thought of the media !

    Adam Lanza Mass Murderer Media Manipulation
    [video=youtube;N2IFX18xZnU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2IFX18xZnU[video]

    Obama Fake Tears *So he can please the media*
    [video=youtube;b3CI5tDuKI0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3CI5tDuKI0[video]

    I'd like to see the years for the children his drone program kills
    Last edited by Majad; 2012-12-28 at 05:11 AM.
    "It woudl be funny as hell if the abodinal snoawman walk in the background" -Confucius

  11. #51
    The Lightbringer Naxere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    45.0061° N, 93.1567° W
    Posts
    3,492
    Back to the actual topic...

    If he didn't have permission, I think they should charge him. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, but definitely makes this case hilarious.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •