Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    Exactly. They appear racist to you and I because we are looking at it with a different context and bringing a very different schema than they are. The gravity of certain words aren't the same to them.
    Employing cultural relativism in the service of pretending that racism isn't racism is rather unattractive. You can argue that this racism is acceptable (I wouldn't, but you could), but you can't really argue that it's not racist.

Re:

I'll post a quote from a website I frequent. I agree wholeheartedly with it. It's not about gun control, or any other issues, etc.

America is a large continent and it is also a mixed pot ethnically and socially with a large divide between the rich and the poor.

Despite the “American dream” idea that is routinely floated around the reality is that only a few can gain wealth whilst the majority cannot, capitalism would not survive if everyone could become rich and therefore the system is designed so that the majority stay poor.

Take into account the morally corrupt, money obsessed rotten bastards that run our countries and their propensity to seek profit whatever the human cost and the human beings natural animalistic tendencies to seek self gratification and you end up with a time bomb of social decline.

What used to be a factor in the reduction of crime was a social identity, a certain pride in ones race and culture, a person would be less inclined to commit crime if there was the prospect of being ostracised by their own community, Japan still has this identity and that is why compared to our countries it has a lot less crime.

However unlike Japan we have allowed uncontrolled immigration to destroy our cultural identity, we have allowed greed and the pursuit of profit to be the defining factor of our life’s. We no longer feel like a community but rather a collection of strangers who’s only shared goal is to become rich whatever the cost, we have stopped caring about each other and no longer support each other.

Is it any wonder then that crime is out of control, that people turned a blind eye to crime and that we have stopped giving a shit about anything in life, we all go to work to survive and hope that our lottery ticket is a winner and that is the way we live.
    -- Empty Soul @ BG

Despite the “American dream” idea that is routinely floated around the reality is that only a few can gain wealth whilst the majority cannot, capitalism would not survive if everyone could become rich and therefore the system is designed so that the majority stay poor.
    The only way this notion makes any particular sense is if rich/poor was a binary where everyone had to fit one category or the other.

What used to be a factor in the reduction of crime was a social identity, a certain pride in ones race and culture, a person would be less inclined to commit crime if there was the prospect of being ostracised by their own community, Japan still has this identity and that is why compared to our countries it has a lot less crime.
    Violent crime has fallen by nearly half over the last 20 years, yet the US is more diverse than ever. I think the writer of that paragraph developed a narrative and didn't bother to cross check it with reality.

Is it any wonder then that crime is out of control, that people turned a blind eye to crime and that we have stopped giving a shit about anything in life, we all go to work to survive and hope that our lottery ticket is a winner and that is the way we live.
    Well, someone's got their emo hat on.

See the problem with these ratings is you could be in a total communistic government, make the lives of the civilians terrible and yet still make it high on these rankings. People hold the U.S. to such a high standard because it's the mother flipping U.S. It's like Peyton Manning, statistically not the best, he has a great supporting team, and a crumby record in the big games, but almost every quarterback wants to be him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Riidii View Post
    I don't think I can stomach another bashing thread.
    glad im not the only one who noticed this.