Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Contemplating getting Rift

So a little back story: I've played WoW for nearly 7 years and every once in a while I'll hop on steam and buy a game and play it for a month or two until going back to WoW. I'm currently looking at Rift to give me that distraction but not sure if its worth it. Also, I have read around a little bit and seen that there is a way to get Rift for free and 30-day game time but am unsure if it is still active as of today (12/27/2012).

I've played DCUO as well and enjoy that game for the most part but DCUO is very very hard to get into for someone playing casually because of how little instruction in the game there is.

1. So Rift, good distraction from WoW for a while?
    2. Easy for someone with a great understanding of how WoW works to get into and enjoy or a good quick start guide?
    3. Still able to get for free via Raptr?
    4. Best server to play on?

I can only answer #2 but I would say that it is fairly easy to pickup if you have a great understanding of WoW.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    1) Will become much larger than a distraction
    2) Definitely yes
    3) As of right now, no. However, time earned playing counts towards future rewards so it won't hurt to try Rift Lite.
    4)Deepwood (subjective)

1. You'll be back sooner than you think and be expecting some similarity to WoW because unconsciously, you'll use WoW features to make sense of Rift.

Rift is where WoW's old Wrath-style Talent system went to die, rise as an zombie and usher in the Talent Tree Zombie Apocalypse.

I can't recommend it. I've tried playing it and just couldn't get into it -- the talent system felt bloated, some of the animations really bothered me(I think swimming was one that just looked *bad*) and the combat felt... off.

The talent system is rift is amazing.

If you can dream it, you can build it.
    (basically)
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

1. Rift would be a great distraction! In fact I am willing to bet that it will become far more then just a distraction!

2. Yeah you should be able to get into it/understand how things work real quick

3. guess not hopefully they will run that promotion again soon!

4. I play on Faeblight its a good server

To the above poster I think they fixed the swimming animations I could be wrong though. Most animations in the game are fine imo though maybe some of the combat ones could use some work but thats just my opinion. Combat seems fine to me too but once again its all opinions I would recommend the op try it out and see what he thinks. I think until you play it you can;t really know for sure.

As for the talent trees they have added what I think are called purposes which are different builds the developers created. They tell you where to put the points and even how to play the spec. You can still chose your own talents if you chose but those are nice for beginners who are still learning how things work. The talent trees donlt really seem bloated to me but *and maybe this is just me* I think Storm Legion did clean them up some.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayasu View Post
    Rift is where WoW's old Wrath-style Talent system went to die, rise as an zombie and usher in the Talent Tree Zombie Apocalypse.

I can't recommend it. I've tried playing it and just couldn't get into it -- the talent system felt bloated, some of the animations really bothered me(I think swimming was one that just looked *bad*) and the combat felt... off.
    Some people actually like using their brains instead to think of something fun and tailored to their playstyle instead of picking between 6 random 'fun' or utility abilities as the only way to customize their class. Even glyphs have been dumbed down to nothing. I love and play that game, but less is not always more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldfrostzero View Post
    Yes, it ends 01/13/13 and there is around 1500 copies left.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by paxx0r View Post
    Yes, it ends 01/13/13 and there is around 1500 copies left.
    Yeah, not sure why it showed expired when I looked at it before, but I can verify it is active with 1575 remaining as of right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfrostzero View Post

1. So Rift, good distraction from WoW for a while?
    2. Easy for someone with a great understanding of how WoW works to get into and enjoy or a good quick start guide?
    4. Best server to play on?
    1. I found Rift a good distraction from WoW. In fact the only thing keeping me associated with WoW is the people that I've met, so I guess you can say WoW is not a distraction from Rift.

2. Lots of the mechanics are very similar from WoW, however there are enough differences that you should come into the game and leave preconceived notions at the loading screen

3. I believe so. I don't use Raptr.

4. US-Faeblight, but that is terribly subjective seeing as it is the server that I play on.

Final suggestion -- don't be in a rush to get to the end-game. Explore the zones and do the quests. There are little gems hidden everywhere. Take your time and try to experience all you can --- normal questing, onslaught quests, instant adventures and post 50 carnage quests. If you have the mind, also try PvP while leveling (not necessarly greatly balanced but you can get the feel)...also post 50 you really need to try conquest. Even if you are not into PvP you really should give it a try once.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's very easy to get into and at the same time, confusing, with all the talent trees. It is very simple though.

It doesn't have the greatness of WoWs combat, but it is close. I've played every MMO out there and Rift is definitely 2nd behind WoW, so yes it's a great distraction from WoW when all there is to do is raid.

It is very similar to WoW combat wise so you should have no trouble at all in that respect.

The soul system, the talent tree system of Rift, can be confusing for new players but last time I played they had templates for new players to follow. Plus there are so many quality of life additions that they have done that it really is a top of the line mmo in that respect.

If you are looking for a wow type game but tired of wow then there is no better game for you than Rift.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayasu View Post
    I've tried playing it and just couldn't get into it
    With all due respect, When? Graphic engine has been significantly optimized in some parts. In addition, many models and animations have been changed.

1) Distracted me for about a week tops, I hit level 20, and realized "Oh, wait... this is grind, these rift things really aren't fun anymore" So, unless your simple minded, I doubt It'd get you off wow for more than a week.

2) It IS WoW, with added world events. The tutorial was pretty detailed though from what I remember, but if you have experience in WoW you wont need it.

3) God knows.

4) Theres probably only one PvE server (like SWTOR) the game failed, its populations so low they probably have or will merge all servers into one.

Let's not bash other games or their playerbases please. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-12-28 at 03:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thunterman View Post
    1) Distracted me for about a week tops, I hit level 20, and realized "Oh, wait... this is grind, these rift things really aren't fun anymore" So, unless your simple minded, I doubt It'd get you off wow for more than a week.
    You took 20 levels to realize an mmo has "grind" elements ?

Then you call people simple minded? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Yes, Rift is, like other mmo's, similar to WoW. It is also elements of GW2 and other mmo's. Rift takes the best of everything and makes it its own and usually, in my opinion, better. It does, however, lack an "Arena" and is a heck of a lot more PvE orientated.

As for servers, Icewatch EU and Blightweald EU are pretty busy most of the time. Icewatch is the biggest. The US has many servers that are busy. Just browse some of the many videos in the sticky to see how many people participate in world events.

ps. If you'd bothered to level to 60, you would have seen a very polished game with many things to do.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2012-12-28 at 10:09 AM.

4) Theres probably only one PvE server (like SWTOR) the game failed, its populations so low they probably have or will merge all servers into one.
    That's adorable.

Game is easy to pick up, but there is a great deal of depth and variety to what you can do. And the end game is phenomenal, both in quantity and quality. A month past the expansion and there's yet another raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean you're too simple minded if you don't do activities other than Rifts?

Getting pretty close to reportable territory. Not only is this false, but you clearly don't belong in these forums. There are a handful of WoW forums for your trolling leisure.

OP, please don't let uninformed people like this guy give you any indication of this game. I play Rift and WoW and have never seen a more level headed and honest group of people playing. The game is small, solid, and slowly growing. An unsung hero of the genre really.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Getting pretty close to reportable territory. Not only is this false, but you clearly don't belong in these forums.
    Its post-christmas.
    The time for being forgiving is over lol.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Its post-christmas.
    The time for being forgiving is over lol.
    I use up all my forgiveness here, so I can rage in that other place.