Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Dealing with terrible anxiety and anxiety attacks

I'm sitting here and it's soon 2 hours past midnight, and I've just had a train worth of anxiety hit me when I was taking a shower. I almost rushed out of the shower, barely managing to keep myself in control between my panic and my fears of dying to heart failure.
    My medication clearly is too weak and ineffective but I've taken another pill (I've been told I can, it's a harmless medicine often used for anxiety or allergic reactions, anti-histamine thingy.) and I've calmed down some, but I'm still afraid of laying down to sleep.
    I'm trying my best to convince myself that I've done so thousands of times before and this time won't be any different. Infact, I've spent most week sleeping quite a lot, due to depression and these meds making me a bit sluggish the day after I have to take them.
    In the morning I'm going to psychiatrist, scheduled it some time ago, but it feels like that's almost stressing me.

So, do you have what I have? How have you dealt with it?
    Words of encouragement and tips are very appriciated. Writing this has helped me a little bit. Better out than in, as Shrek says about burping.

I have anxiety but what you described makes mine look like it's nothing. Seeing a psychiatrist is probably the best thing to do though.

I don't really get anxiety but I think my Mom does. Not on your scale, but she worries over ANYTHING. She always says she doesn't want drugs and wants to try to calm down herself but it never works and she just ends up annoying me and my step dad.

Sorry I couldn't really help. Statistically speaking, you probably won't die in your sleep tonight, if that makes you feel better.

see a dr and get some benzos, sounds like whatever it is your taking isnt cutting it.

Deleted
    Nothing will happen don't worry... its all in your head, just look outside, nature has its pace and you should follow it, just live don't think about future nor the past. Its just lack of physical exposure, such as going to the gym helps, watching other people does too, even an animal, dogs cats etc. Its because in nature man sometime there are deadly situations and since you are not experiencing them it has these effects, and while doing so it produces adrenaline that can backfire if you are not in a deadly situation, just take a walk do exericse do something where you can expereince your instinctual side of your self, it will help.
    Last edited by mmocb45dcad3c0; 2012-12-28 at 01:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have suffered from anxiety myself in the past even to the point where I had to go to hospital when it got really bad.

One tip that I know helped me, although it may seem silly and easy, is this.
    Breathe in while counting to five in your head, then breathe out over another 5 seconds.
    You might not be able to get the full 5 seconds both ways at the start but you'll build up to it.
    This will make your body slow down as it is probably going at a million miles a minute in panic mode right now.
    Just focus on this breathing until you settle down.

Another good thing to do is distract yourself.
    Watch a movie, tv show or play a games.
    This will keep you out of your own head so to speak.
    Hope this helps!

Is going to bed the trigger or dying of heart failure? Figure out the cause and work from there. Its not magically going away, you have a problem, fix it.

Try marijuana. I know this is taboo, and it's not about it being an illegal drug (depending on where you are from), but honestly it worked wonders for my problem. I used to have terrible anxiety attacks. I used pot for about a year. It really kept me even. I didn't smoke it all day. I used it when I started feel get that feeling until the feeling subsided. I don't condone recreational drug use, but I will give the best suggestion I can. Don't take prescription shit. Doctors are not always your friend. Most of the time all you get are placebos anyway. Do see a therapist, though. Just tell them you don't want prescriptions. See how hard they try to push them on you. Marijuana is tried and true throughout history. Just not recent history. Because it's taboo. Look it up. Research it. It may help you out.
    A true Patriot fights for their country, not for their government.

Deleted
    Grab a book and get reading. Listen to some music. While in your bed of course.

Tomorrow you can talk about it to someone and figure out what's going on. I'm having some problems myself, I'm on medication, see a psychologist and everything. The important part is taking your time and understanding what's going on.

Deleted
    Drugs and other stuff will only put it aside, its not easy but the reward is wisdow lots of it. Think of it this way life as it is right now its not worth overthinking all that stuff. Just live, and when you think think in scientific way not "but what if".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Peso View Post
    I have anxiety but what you described makes mine look like it's nothing. Seeing a psychiatrist is probably the best thing to do though.
    I've had a lot of shit happe nto me the last 6 years, like cancer. It took it's toll on my psyche.
    I have a "normal" electrical wierdness with my heart, which can make it race like crazy. It's the latter that is the focus of my anxiety, I fear that I might die, though oddly enough from my heart stopping, not from racing. I have a horrendous fear of death that also gives me anxiety. Ontop of this, my grandfather might be passing away soon from cancer that has gone too far, they gave him max 4-5 months.
    It's an evil circle that makes itself worse.

I had other meds for it years ago, stuff with warning triangles on it and all, which I don't know. I'm gonna ask for some of that. It's been two months now of constant anxiety. Depression getting worse too, I have to make myself eat because even though I get hungry, I have no desire to eat.

In a sense, I'm starting the work I'll be doing with my psychiatrist: Talking about it and admitting that it's there. So, thanks regardless, for reading

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    OP: The BEST tip anyone will ever give you here is to seek PROFESSIONAL help. You already have an appointment with a psychologist wich is great, you should also see a doctor.

This is easier said than done but...

Adopt an attitude of not giving a shit about things you can't change. Worked wonders for me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    Try marijuana. I know this is taboo, and it's not about it being an illegal drug (depending on where you are from), but honestly it worked wonders for my problem. I used to have terrible anxiety attacks. I used pot for about a year. It really kept me even. I didn't smoke it all day. I used it when I started feel get that feeling until the feeling subsided. I don't condone recreational drug use, but I will give the best suggestion I can. Don't take prescription shit. Doctors are not always your friend. Most of the time all you get are placebos anyway. Do see a therapist, though. Just tell them you don't want prescriptions. See how hard they try to push them on you. Marijuana is tried and true throughout history. Just not recent history. Because it's taboo. Look it up. Research it. It may help you out.
    I have Aspergers syndrome as well, and many people with it and things like ADD often "self-medicate" to help cope, in a way you describe. I'm also quite easily addicted to things and I'm having a hard enough time dealing with sugary things. I've gained over 10 kilo's over just 1 year because of my obsessive eating, which in the end is probably caused by depression and anxiety that didn't really take form in these attacks until two months ago. I don't want to do such self-medication. I've also heard that you can have "bad trips" on marijuana, and they don't seem pleasant and is the last thing I want to add to my problems.

But thank you, regardless.

---------- Post added 2012-12-28 at 02:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Somebodyelse View Post
    OP: The BEST tip anyone will ever give you here is to seek PROFESSIONAL help. You already have an appointment with a psychologist wich is great, you should also see a doctor.
    Yeah, gonna have to do that. Might go stay with my parents for a few days. Having their company and the company of their pets helps keep me sane.

Thanks.

---------- Post added 2012-12-28 at 02:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Guilu View Post
    Grab a book and get reading. Listen to some music. While in your bed of course.

Tomorrow you can talk about it to someone and figure out what's going on. I'm having some problems myself, I'm on medication, see a psychologist and everything. The important part is taking your time and understanding what's going on.
    Right now, I'm hugging my old stuffed cat toy and watching ABadFeeling's podcasts on youtube, it works as a distraction to stop my thoughts from going places they shouldn't.
    I recommend them, they're a hillarious bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    I have Aspergers syndrome as well, and many people with it and things like ADD often "self-medicate" to help cope, in a way you describe. I'm also quite easily addicted to things and I'm having a hard enough time dealing with sugary things. I've gained over 10 kilo's over just 1 year because of my obsessive eating, which in the end is probably caused by depression and anxiety that didn't really take form in these attacks until two months ago. I don't want to do such self-medication. I've also heard that you can have "bad trips" on marijuana, and they don't seem pleasant and is the last thing I want to add to my problems.

But thank you, regardless.
    I understand. You have gotten some bad information, though. That's why I mentioned to research it to see if it's right for you. If you have apprehensions about it, though, I would say go the route you are going. See a therapist. I'm lucky, mine is a good friend of mine since childhood, so I get mine for free

Oh, and I have a Saint Bernard. Female. She is the most loyal *ahem* "bitch" (excuse me, joke intended) I have ever had. You're on to something there, pets are fantastic, especially for depression.
    Last edited by TheOne; 2012-12-28 at 01:37 AM.
    A true Patriot fights for their country, not for their government.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Peso View Post
    Also, the first time when I got anxiety attacks, I was 6 years younger and less obsessively aware of my body, which made handling the anxiety much easier. I had some problems for a month or so and then I never had an anxiety attack again, until this year.
    I've had to drop out of my studies that I were doign now as well. Though they might have been a contributing factor to how bad I was feeling. Though I don't feel good about not being able to finish my studies either.
    But as one of you mentioned: Gotta focus on the NOW and stop rolling the snowballs of anxiety. (An analogy I'm proud of.)

---------- Post added 2012-12-28 at 02:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    I understand. You have gotten some bad information, though. That's why I mentioned to research it to see if it's right for you. If you have apprehensions about it, though, I would say go the route you are going. See a therapist. I'm lucky, mine is a good friend of mine since childhood, so I get mine for free

Oh, and I have a Saint Bernard. Female. She is the most loyal *ahem* "bitch" (excuse me, joke intended) I have ever had. You're on to something there, pets are fantastic, especially for depression.
    Yeah and I feel that my parents would be very disappointed with me and they mean the world to me, they are the last people I want to disappoint.

My dad, who's completely blind, has a guide dog Golden Retriever that's very good at spotting if people are feeling down or ill. At the Christmas celebration he stuck around my old grandad, who's terminally ill, and kept sort of "watching him". I'm entirely convinced he can tell how people are feeling.
    Through my dad I've met a woman, who has diabetes, who owns what is called a diabetes dog. No joking. The dog is a Border Collie that can tell when her blood sugar is too low, warns her about it if it's needed.

So yeah, animals are amazing and they can be a great help. Though losing one is a total heartbreaker. We lost 3 out of 4 cats in quite a short time, and that really brought me down hard. As someone with Aspergers, I get used to how things are and when they suddenly aren't that way anymore, it can be quite shocking.

Thanks though! Any venting I can do is good
    Some might have a problem with expressing intimate problems like these on the internet, but I don't feel that at all. When I can't access the internet, I feel so lonely, hehe. *foreveralone.jpg*
    Last edited by mmoc4a603c9764; 2012-12-28 at 01:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I highly suggest running. It may sound insane, but I was once in the same boat as you. It wont pay off in the first little while, but after a few weeks it becomes a perfect ecstasy. Try it out.

Another little trick I picked up to alleviate the anxiety a little more quickly is the sense escape. Focus on each of your senses and try to feel out 5 different things for each sense. After you cycle through, if you still feel anxious try to do it again with 4 new things. For example, focus on your hearing, try to pick out 5 different sounds you can hear. Then move to smell, 5 different smells. So on and so forth. It really helps me especially when I get the anxiety attacks like you mention, heart racing, sweating, even gagging.

I also find having a water bottle and some gum can help a ton. Best of luck to you though =)

10+ Year Old Account
    My wife suffers from anxiety and anxiety attacks much like you. She's allergic to nuts and has had severe reactions in the past. She is afraid that she will have a reaction and die, and this is what her anxiety stems from.

What calms her down the most is me; my reassurance that everything is ok, and that she is safe when I am with her. Do you have anyone that you can be with? Being alone is certainly difficult when having an attack.

She has medication in case she has an attack, I think vallium. Alcohol also works well to calm you down. Focus on your breathing. Keep telling yourself that you are okay, because you are okay.

Research anxiety and what it is, understand the symptoms of an attack, and understand that an attack can't kill you, it can only scare you. Millions of people deal with anxiety, its very common, you are by no means alone.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Yeah and I feel that my parents would be very disappointed with me and they mean the world to me, they are the last people I want to disappoint.
    This has to stop, hiding your problem isnt going to solve it. Your parents will be your biggest asset, its really hard to tell them stuff like this but swallow your pride like you did when you created this thread. They love you and wont label you a freak, only help you.

I also feel hiding this from people will trigger its affect. Your not a leper, you wont be sent to an island because your having an issue. The longer you hold it in the the longer it will take to feel good again. Talking about an issue will trigger subconscious thoughts that will further unravel the puzzle. Like they say, get it off your chest.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    My wife suffers from anxiety and anxiety attacks much like you. She's allergic to nuts and has had severe reactions in the past. She is afraid that she will have a reaction and die, and this is what her anxiety stems from.

What calms her down the most is me; my reassurance that everything is ok, and that she is safe when I am with her. Do you have anyone that you can be with? Being alone is certainly difficult when having an attack.

She has medication in case she has an attack, I think vallium. Alcohol also works well to calm you down. Focus on your breathing. Keep telling yourself that you are okay, because you are okay.

Research anxiety and what it is, understand the symptoms of an attack, and understand that an attack can't kill you, it can only scare you. Millions of people deal with anxiety, its very common, you are by no means alone.
    That's a very real fear to have anxiety about though, that makes it even harder to deal with.

I've gone out to my parents once, when it became too much. But they live quite a bit away from me so it ain't easy, we have to get a taxi and stuff and it's a bother. They've said I can call them if I need it, but I'm just too nice, I don't want to wake them in the middle of the night...

Vallium is the heavy stuff, old school medicine so to speak. I don't think I'll get anything like that, but I'm gonna literally cry myself into getting stronger medication this time. I've had something years before that's called Sobril here, I think it was, and it was very effective back then. That was 6 years ago and medication for psychological problems have gone a long way even in just 6 years, so there's no saying what I might get prescribed

---------- Post added 2012-12-28 at 03:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    This has to stop, hiding your problem isnt going to solve it. Your parents will be your biggest asset, its really hard to tell them stuff like this but swallow your pride like you did when you created this thread. They love you and wont label you a freak, only help you.

I also feel hiding this from people will trigger its affect. Your not a leper, you wont be sent to an island because your having an issue. The longer you hold it in the the longer it will take to feel good again. Talking about an issue will trigger subconscious thoughts that will further unravel the puzzle. Like they say, get it off your chest.
    I know, though these expectations and such affect me quite a bit. I've understood it myself but I haven't expressed it to anyone. Still, I won't start doing illegal drugs when I can get legal ones that are probably more effective.

---------- Post added 2012-12-28 at 03:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wheater View Post
    I highly suggest running. It may sound insane, but I was once in the same boat as you. It wont pay off in the first little while, but after a few weeks it becomes a perfect ecstasy. Try it out.

Another little trick I picked up to alleviate the anxiety a little more quickly is the sense escape. Focus on each of your senses and try to feel out 5 different things for each sense. After you cycle through, if you still feel anxious try to do it again with 4 new things. For example, focus on your hearing, try to pick out 5 different sounds you can hear. Then move to smell, 5 different smells. So on and so forth. It really helps me especially when I get the anxiety attacks like you mention, heart racing, sweating, even gagging.

I also find having a water bottle and some gum can help a ton. Best of luck to you though =)
    I get anxiety from excerting myself actually. I'm really worried about my heart and that it might start rushing. It's not dangerous, just very very uncomfortable. It might also trick my anxiety if I get it, and the last thing I need is panic when I need to calm down.
    As you might notice, I'm aware of the spirals I can get caught in, and that's both a symptom and the problem. I think it might all get a lot better when I get to talk about it with the psychiatrist.