Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

This game needs a little bit of chaos back in it

Remember how before cata came out, we use to be able to wall climb up places that you couldn't fly to, like the goldshire roof, or the waterfall over northshire valley, or hyjal, even if there was a threat of restriction, it felt great to cheat the system.

Remember the zombie event, or the blood god hakkar event, when entire cities would be wiped out and spread chaos around. In seeing doom lord kazzak stood at the gates of major cities killing players and having huge raid groups fighting him.

Remember how you found a way to run across the ocean to the devs mysterious island and explore it.

Remember being able to get behind ZA doors, or get past the mountains and explore where Quel'thalas would have been in vanilla?

So much of this stuff has been removed from the game, or made to you can't access it period.

I guess the reason why I'm reminiscing about all these things is, there was always something special about finding these little out of the way tib bits the devs didn't want you to know about, or tried to restrict you getting there, or things that just in general caused chaos to servers and actully took a break from the norm.

I believe this is what wow is missing these days, something that breaks the every day routine, something from vanilla to wrath seemed to get right. Remember the pre cata event with the elemental invasion? I could tell from there then, that blizzard had given up on making events where the player made the rules, and instead create a boring, controlled environment that people ended up disappointed by (as I remember so much of on the forums back then).

I just think the game is held down to much at times for its own good now, it needs something thats not just another organised event.
    Last edited by Trassk; 2012-12-28 at 01:18 AM.
    #boycottchina

I can agree to much of this!

Greatest thing ever was when being a little newbie frolicking around in the starting zone, reaching the big city eventually and WHOAH WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!? Some big mob lvl ?? trashing the whole city! :P Epic times *sigh*. Kiting of World Bosses was a sight to behold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lochglen View Post
    I am wondering if Blizzard are going to give the Alliance the 5 mounts because the worgen have running wild, the horde have 5 new mounts , i just think they should balance it out, how say you all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    hows about you give half your money to africa because you have more than them, and it's not balanced
    no? didn't think so

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Remember being able to get behind ZA doors, or get past the mountains and explore where Quel'thalas would have been in vanilla?
    The fact that we still don't have Quel'thalas accessible is almost inexcusable. I honestly don't know if there are still Scourge generals sitting in it waiting for commands from the Lich King to move out and conquer Silvermoon again. I really hope in the next expansion that Quel'thalas is retaken and used as the Horde nexus for anti-Legion talents to congregate.

The Draenei need something, anything similar as well. Redesigning the Exodar and expanding it out to a new town in much the way that Forsaken villages have changed dramatically since Vanilla would be nice.

I just think the game is held down to much at times for its own good now, it needs something thats not just another organised event.
    I can mostly agree with this. There just isn't any reason to explore the mountain around Kun-Lai because there's nothing to see. There's nowhere you can't normally reach, really, so it's not worth searching. The closest thing we got was someone Eagle Eye'ing the Zandalari/Thunder King island.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily Crowley View Post
    I can agree to much of this!

Greatest thing ever was when being a little newbie frolicking around in the starting zone, reaching the big city eventually and WHOAH WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!? Some big mob lvl ?? trashing the whole city! :P Epic times *sigh*. Kiting of World Bosses was a sight to behold.
    oh god yes, another thing thats been removed, kiting bosses like the dragons or omen.

Well we're on the subject of this, i dunno if its just me, but ever since cata, I noticed a massive drop in how many opposing faction raids hit opposing cities to kill faction leaders. I believe so much was put into making the spawning guards hit harder then ever and the faction leaders having so much health is it guaranteed a wipe almost all the time.

Frankly, I liked it far better when raids could control the guards, it gave the two factions time to attack each other, far more fun then coming to defend a city.. only to find out the guards wiped them out before we could get there -_-
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I believe so much was put into making the spawning guards hit harder then ever and the faction leaders having so much health is it guaranteed a wipe almost all the time.

Frankly, I liked it far better then raids could control the guards, it gave the two factions time to attack each other, far more fun then coming to defend a city.. only to find out the guards wiped them out before we could get there -_-
    They weakened all PVP guards as of 5.0.4. Specifically pissed off a lot of people (me included) because they still didn't make Halfhill a forced-neutral zone like Shattrath, Dalaran and the World Pillar Temple. All it takes is one Destruction Warlock farming embers off of mobs to run up, Chaos bolt someone, fear them, do it again and take a single step backwards to lose the guards if they even detect that there's PVP going on. A tanking spec can just destroy those guards solo.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

So they should deliberately build in little environmental glitches so someone can feel a bit nostalgic for 3 seconds?

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with you, OP, but I don't think anything like those old times are ever coming back to WoW, at least not until the crew in charge of the 'feel' of the game changes. Classic WoW of the vanilla and BC eras was more concerned with potentially neat stuff than with ensuring that all players recieved precisely measured doses of fun. Post-Wrath, WoW is a much more tightly controlled place, where the devs seem to think that they know what's fun better than the players do, and so everything not approved is forbidden, because someone might not have fun otherwise.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    WoW is being held down by "what if" attitudes. How world events interact with what people are during. The zombie event, for example, was annoying people who were trying to quest. It's not the events to blame, but the communities are far apart from each other. Communication is lacking and that's what the game is missing.

So you're asking for unintentional glitches that allow you to explore places you aren't supposed to explore and for them to bring back the zombie event from the Pre-Wrath world event?

Nostalgia is a bad thing. A very, very VERY bad thing. This game is moving forward. We still have glitches, but they get sorted out faster than they used to. The game is more polished now. The storylines have more depth to them now. Mists of Pandaria is such an all around great expansion, with more to do than ever, and you're complaining that the game lacks a certain spark to it because you can't cheat the system as much?

I get it. Finding glitches is fun. We all have done it at some point. But they are what they are. Glitches. You argue they add flavor to the game, and I argue they break my immersion from the story and world. Everyone's got different tastes, I suppose. And we all love to reminisce. But let's not start another thread about how WoW is "missing" some magical element it used to have, because that is total BS and just an opinion. My opinion is that the game has more substance to it now that it ever did. Especially way more than Cata ever did.

People wanted chaos. They got Cataclysm. Remember how that went?

This game just needs to move on from Pandaria. I've had enough calm, peace, and serenity crap for about a good 30 years. I don't ever want to hear "Slow down" again.

Bring on the Burning Legion expac, people are really bored if they're asking for glitches of all things...

I loved the zombie event. Wiping out entire towns with concentrated efforts on both sides was awesome, especially since you could communicate with the opposite faction once you were both zombies.

I probably sat in Darkshire keeping the town occupied for a good 3 hours before getting bored.

I agree unleash Shandris Feathermoon again so the Horde rebels can invite her to annihilate Orgrimmar and that Hellscream loser over and over and over again.

Most fun I ever had in this game was staying up until the wee hours of the morning exploring all these areas we weren't supposed to go to. Ironforge Airport, getting behind ZG walls ect

10+ Year Old Account
    blizzard catering to whinging little bieber babies has destroyed the amount of fun you used to be able to have, i still think to this day the zombie event was the best thing to happen to WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawless Jones View Post
    blizzard catering to whinging little bieber babies has destroyed the amount of fun you used to be able to have, i still think to this day the zombie event was the best thing to happen to WoW
    Subjective and nice insults there.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

yeah the truth is the game become too predictable, all the mystique is gone.
    All the fun things were removed (green scale armor, death ray, MC cap), exploration, taking time to get to places and so forth.

One thing that set WoW apart from almost all other mmos is its open world, the fact that it wasnt as all the ones that failed, instanced.
    And yet they managed to destroy the open world with flying mounts and queuing for dungeons, people are too busy with the daily grind to enjoy what the game has to offer, its exploration, its pvp, its thrill and mystery, no wonder people are getting bored so fast...

I raided hardcore in vanilla and never saw this much grinding, and when i wasnt raiding or doing dungeons (yet up to naxx gear i was still doing some dungeons for fun) i would be exploring or pkk'ing, helping lowbies that were ganked and so forth, it was fun as hell.
    Dungeon entrance pvp was also quite funny, it had risk-reward, going for some dungeons deep in enemy territory, the thrill if danger and invading enemy cities! world dragons were also fun, having warlock alts all over the map so the guild could move there faster than anyone else, have warlocks deep inside the enemies town so we could blitzkrieg kill their leader and portal out before most people could understand-respond to it.

I dont know, it does have nostalgia, i wont lie, but it also has a lot of truth, in my eyes, a game is not just about a line, where you walk what the devs decided you to walk, that isnt fun, fun is to go outside of the lines and trail your own paths, to be able to do ridiculous talent specs just for the heck of it and see them work, to surprise everyone else when you have an oddspec and it gave you an edge (i was 30fire/21 frost, iceblock firemage with shatter <3) that was devastating! Hardly anyone had any experience fighting that, specially from a raider since all had arcane for evocation etc.
    Or my warrior alt, MS with last stand, warriors couldnt heal back then aside from a potion, and fights were in many cases timing your bursts with enemy potions, then suddenly bam! last stand and they just used all their burst trying to kill you, leaving them vulnerable.
    Old WoW had a lot of cookie cutter that is true, but it allowed you to think outside of the box, current wow has designed pathways and you cant streak away from it, more choice my ass.
    each spec is more complex, no doubt, but the class itself is less complex.

Say what you want, but i LOVED downranking, you could tell straight away a good mage from a bad mage if they used rank 1s or not. using rank 1 frostbolt (1sec cast) to slow down, or a rank 1 fireball to dot a rogue/druid, rank 1 blizz to break stealth and so forth.

i dont know, it is odd.
    The more they give the more they take, and the more we have to have Fun(tm) instead of fun.

Edit: this is obviously my point of view, my own truths, I am sure quite a lot of people hated how it was back then and much prefer the safety and predictability it has now.
    Personally, i dont, i like the 3 ex's, experiment, explore, exploit (dont mean hacks, exploiting how far you can take something)
    Last edited by Kurioxan; 2012-12-28 at 06:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    Subjective and nice insults there.
    you know it =D
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember all of those things, except being able to reach GM island.

How about.. entering the Emerald Dream / Outland / Developer Playground behind the Deadmines instance portal? :V
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    I remember all of those things, except being able to reach GM island.

How about.. entering the Emerald Dream / Outland / Developer Playground behind the Deadmines instance portal? :V
    Bah, you can still do that now. It's not that great of an area.

I've made it a point to get to a lot of these old "forgotten" places (Karazhan crypts, Vanilla Northrend, Deep Sea tram aquarium, old dancing troll village, old IF airport, uninstanced Zul'Aman, old Quel'thalas, the area around Ahn'Kahet, uninstanced Stratholme, and more,) and while cool, the thing is... it isn't something blizzard ever did "right." In fact, all these things are, essentially, things that blizzard did "wrong," because it was an oversight.

The only way to "return" to this sort of thing would be for them to take a conscientious step "back" in designing things by allowing you more easy ways to escape them... the problem with that is that these situations really only exist where flight isn't allowed, like BGs and Dungeons/raids, meaning that players could then exploit them maliciously or to gun for faster completion times/boss skips.

However, I do share a similar sentiment with the excessive "controlled environments..." I dislike how they put invisible walls around all parts of game geometry now. Fringes and molding on walls are now flushed with the wall itself by invisible walls, statues have invisible boxes placed around them... even innocuous areas, like the fields around terrace of endless spring, are thoroughly fenced off ... it makes everything feel... unnatural. You can especially see this in the new faction cities on Pandaria.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2012-12-28 at 10:03 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    the area around Ahn'Kahet,.
    Uuuu... this was explorable?
    I always turned my camera around when falling down twards Anub'arak, trying to see as much as I could as I fell 'through' the old forgotten kingdom in those brief few seconds.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.